How happy are you with your Rytm?

It’s not so much the stereo effect I was missing. It’s more that the way the AR sums to mono, something get’s lost and the balances and volumes change. So I ended up trying to mix my tracks again… screw that :slight_smile:

I haven’t touched my Rytm since getting the Digitakt a couple months ago. I’m really happy with the sounds I got from the AR, but I prefer the DT’s cleaner sound, for now at least.

I think part of why I haven’t touched the AR is because its Function and Track buttons are opposite the DT’s, and I initially got thrown off quite a bit when learning the DT.

I’ll keep holding on to it for a while but it will likely be the first Elektron I let go. MDUW is still my go to for drum synthesis and sound design. Really not trying to slight the AR though, as I made some of my favorite music with it.

I’m surprised with all this dissent. LOVE the ryttm. My favorite. Love the a4 too but the rytm more. I have no problek with mono samples, i tend to shy away from too much stereo. Rytm’s internal sounds are exactly what i like. And the guitar or synth or glitchy drum loops i bring in to the rytm sound awesome. And the individual outs and performance etc. A more complete frum machine/groovebox does not exist imo.

I want the rytm with DSI tempest sound engines, pads, and sequencer resolution and 12 voices. Then I would probably never part with it.

OP here. I actually preordered an AR2 a few months ago. I bought a Digitakt, but the unit bricked itself and was unusable, so it was returned. I thought the DT sounded great though when it was working.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Introducing Analog Four & Analog Rytm MKII

Love the Rytm! Was my first Elektron box and got me started into their world. I’d honestly never been into hardware based sequencers prior. I brushed them off, never really understood it and would always sequence in the DAW. I had planned for more or less the same, but Rytm completely changed me and opened my eyes. I love sequencing with Elektron boxes! I’ll come up with something, then record the output and move on. I don’t play live and likely never will, so the performance aspect hasn’t really influenced or rubbed off on me.

I now have 4 Elektron units: Rytm, Digitakt, MachineDrum UW+ and just aquired a Heat this weekend. I can’t see parting with any of them in the foreseeable future. They each have a flavor and purpose in my world, but I think I work on tracks differently than a lot of people.

I’ll be adding an Analog Four MKII in 2018 for sure.

5 Likes

What I really like about the rytm is that it has what I describe as a more “mature” sound. While it can certainly get dark, glitchy, and weird; it also excels at more subtle, deep, refined sounds. I’ve also got a MD and MNM that I love, and it’s been my experience that they lead me to more glitchy sounds.

2 Likes

I’m starting to doubt mine

1 Like

I doubt I’ll ever doubt mine… :smile:

2 Likes

Care to share? What other options are you considering?

Maby i’ve been a bit harsh just spend the last hour with it again and it delivers but it doesn’t get that underground mental tekno perc going but now that i think of it is prob my fault not the machine

But i love it let there be no mistake

Turn up the master dist, and utilize the band pass filter mode more on your sounds. Combined, it will go straight to the basement :wink:

3 Likes

It’s the one piece of kit I would grab on my way out of a burning building.

6 Likes

I’m getting to a point where I might grab my OT MKII first, and the Rytm second.

Kinda weird, this new reality.
I have been using Rytm samples that I recorded, a lot, out of the OT MKII. I might like these sounds just as much in OT as I do when they’re coming right out of Rytm.
Maybe it’s just having more FX and LFO options for them.

But, I digress, as this isn’t “how happy are you with your OT”.

3 Likes

Funny enough I’m about to pull the trigger on an OT MKII as well. I’ve been using just the Rytm to construct full tracks but there’s some things I’m missing. The OT is also replacing my KP3 as a master effects unit and looper.

2 Likes

When using Rytm for an entire track, it becomes a certain kind of track.
It’s a bit more stripped down. Nothing wrong with that, and if you are aware of this boundary, it is easier to exploit it to creative advantage.

But yea, it is also nice to have an option with less boundaries.

Together they are unbeatable.

2 Likes

Definitely the best “New Blood” preset

1 Like

Do you think the workflow issues would be as bad on the A4? I’m considering an A4 mkii to pair with my DT.

1 Like