High Sierra

i clearly wait to see how Elektron comes with the next update of Overbridge to decide… For me it’s impossible to make a decision for now. As, Overbridge is on Top of my List regarding features and system compatibility

One thing i know since i’m testing High Sierra at the moment in Graphic Design machine for now is sometimes i have an apple watch in replacement of the multicolored roulette :confused:

There’s quite a few photoshop plugins bug and Wacom Tablet Drivers, and Drivers ARE generally not ready, that’s how it is in every launch… Seems like company don’t want to buy the developer licence to test Beta version or simply prefer to wait for the public release to start to work on updates for their pieces of code.

The “apple watch” can be an indication that the application is using the older API - Carbon. Ideally, the developer should have moved to Cocoa.

I’ve seen it a few times with High Sierra.

1 Like

I upgraded two MBPs to High Sierra. I haven’t tested in depth, but running my AH into one of them via Overbridge seems to work.

Cheers,
Hans

1 Like

Pulled the pin here also. AR seems to work fine also. Haven’t done extensive multi-track testing but will report back.

1 Like

I’ve taken the plunge with my desktop too. All working well so far.

1 Like

Overbridge works fine for me since the early betas. Macbook pro retina 2013

1 Like

For info - I also tried something I’ve not managed to get properly working before, with some success.

I’ve previously steered clear of using USB audio (as part of an OSX aggregate device) from Kronos, TD30 (V-Drums) and Line 6 HD500X, since I was experiencing pops and crackles regardless of buffer size.

Now, I have 3 RME Multifaces (my main I/O, in a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis) and those 3 devices above, working reasonably well together.

However, not all DAWs are equal.

Ableton Live accepts those 3 devices plus the Multifaces in an aggregate device and it’s all working well so far.

Cubase is a different story though. With an aggregate device, I get all the Multiface channels, but only 2 of the 3 devices mentioned above. Adding a third (can be any of them) results in that device not showing up in Cubase’s selection panel. Steinberg tell me that Cubase doesn’t support aggregate devices, which is a bit of a shock!

Cubase also seems to be more susceptible to artefacts than Ableton - e.g. if I use the tuner on the HD500X, then when I drop out of that mode, the buffers seem to back up and go a bit wacky and I get distortion. Ableton clears that up within a few seconds, but Cubase seems to suffer with after-effects for a lot longer.

2 Likes

awh man now i want to try too and i don’t even know whats new or what im missing, makes no sense :frowning: im still on a ancient 10.12.3 i rolled back to when a update broke ob.

update. i updated and everything works as in 10.12.3. did not make a clean install

Something else seems to be improved, for me at least.

I was having problems with the DisplayPort connection to my Samsung 4K monitor. When running a DAW, every few minutes, the screen would go blank. Also never saw the boot-up Apple logo and progress bar.

Seems to work on that front now. Fingers crossed at any rate.

I upgraded my Mac Pro briefly last week. I went about it probably the dumbest way possible - didn’t check compatibility, backed everything up then wiped my machine and went through installs. Wasted a TON of time. Briefly:

Ableton Live and Max for Live are broken. Update expected some time this month (October)
Native Instruments - nothing works. The Komplete Ultimate installers don’t even work. Native Access was trying it’s best to install but would eventually freeze the machine (64GB of RAM!)
Adobe - again, the installers I have from work which are gold through the Enterprise Creative Cloud Packager app don’t work.
Spectrasonics - none of their stuff is compatible yet (no Omnisphere)
Steinberg Cubase - I got it to install and launch but that didn’t matter without my NI plugins.
I didn’t bother installing Overbridge at this point.
Interestingly Microsoft Office 365 installed alright.

Here’s something odd I found as well: when you do a fresh install of High Sierra with the installer from the App Store, after you’re done do a check for updates. There will be a new version of iTunes to download. You’d think they’d just pack that into the installer…! Quality control is slipping at Apple.

So now I have a freshly reformatted version of Sierra I plan to stay on for a long time. :wink:

1 Like

Still rocking Mavericks on my Octa Mac Pro.
Both El Cap and Sierra broke the GUI live updating of the Overbridge VSTs on my Mac Pro.
Not too confident that High Sierra would be any better. :diddly:

1 Like

I’m new to elektron (still on the learning curve) and I’m just after a few answers. I’ve recently picked up an Analog RYTM mk1 under the impression that I can use this with Overbridge.

Im running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 and can’t get it to recognise the RYTM, I’ve seen on various threads that it isn’t compatible with High Sierra and there’s an update in Feb that may resolve the issue, can anyone confirm this?

Also another general question, without the use of Overbridge are there any other ways I can integrate the AR into my Ableton Live workflow?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Confirmed. Yes with the oldshool way :
Metronome, Record and Fine Tuning your Midi Delay

@ellogden you can’t roll back to sierra for overbridge ?

And here is the precipice we as Mac users are @; upgrade your OS to get the new OB and run the risk of all your other programs NOT working. For me it’s my fast becoming ancient Mackie BlackBird FW interface; they’ve not updated drivers for Mac OS in over 2 years.

in the meantime it’s always like that… just few years and a product can be stop… then Drivers are not developed anymore it’s happened for me as well a lot. i learnt which brand i can trust more now and know which one are the most valuable in the time.

but you’re never safe FOREVER… That’s a FACT with Drivers :wink:

Dear @ellogden

I had no issues with High Sierra (latest update) and then after switching the laptop, the overbridge devices (and Virus) were no longer recognized.

@Olle put me on the right track. When rebooting the machine, I checked in the Privacy Settings of the Mac whether there are any messages coming up … and indeed this was the case.

I did not see the messages about blocked drivers by just looking into the privacy settings, only with the reboot I could spot these.

Now all is working fine.

Best, Olaf

3 Likes

Here’s a Warning for Logic users that have both Logic 9 and Logic X on their system, are using a SSD, and are upgrading to High Sierra:

And

Official notice of Apple pro app compatibility with High Sierra:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207888

I’m having issues with OB on HighSierra. Could you be more specific about this Privacy Settings messages you are talking about? My Heat is not being recognised, maybe I missed something during the installation?

Can anyone advise on that?
Cheers

Hi @comym

as I wrote, I have no problem with High Sierra, all versions and Overbridge (or the Virus TI, which has also a tight integration of audio with DAWs). Changing my laptop, the devices were no longer recognised by the Mac OS. Because of the tight integration with the OS, so it seems, there are checks and drivers may be blocked in the same way the installation of new software requires the user to allow the process to move on. If you go the Apple logo on the top left, then Systems Preferences, then Security & Privacy, one may find a message there that something is being blocked. Now, I did not see anything there when I got a hint that I should look there. However, when I rebooted the laptop and had the Security & Privacy open, something popped up. Unchecking this, just like if there was some software installation, all was fine again. So, in case all other USB devices (e.g Octatrack) work fine but only the Overbridge devices are not recognised at all, this may be happening. Worth to check out.

I cannot claim to be the most happy Apple customer and my gut feeling is that over recent years thing become less smooth. But in my case, the problem is neither a negative thing about the OS, or Overbridge. What Access and Elektron do with the Virus and Overbridge is quite sophisticated, providing a deep integration. One should not expect this to be perfect (although for me the entire experience is really smooth and actually perfect so far). I am however not making myself and my fun dependent on things like Overbridge. It is a fantastic add-on, helping me to transfer music sketched in the DAW to my hardware and I also use it to check the spectra of sounds on the machines in the DAW. Sound design is also a pleasure with Overbridge and the A4s … but after a while it again is also no problem without. For me, Overbridge is an icing on the cake, but not deal breaker.

Switching from the MKI’s to the MKII’s I realised that it would be nice to have a different kind of “total recall” or “migration assistant” in Apple speak. Some easy to use, “few clicks” backup and restore of projects would be nice :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hey mate, thanks for the very detailed answer.

Wow, this is really weird. Everything just happened like you described.

First I went to Privacy Settings and I could not see anything happening on the General tab. So with the System Preferences still open I restarted my laptop.

When the windows started popping up again I was back to the Privacy Settings page and guess what, that was a little notice saying something was being blocked in the system. I just had to click “Allow” right next to it then I restarted the system one more time.

When back on, I simply plugged the Analog Heat again and opened the Overbridge panel and bang, it was magically recognised.

Thanks a lot for the tip, and I do agree, Apple has been making things very inconsistent recently, as you can see from the example above.

Regarding the use of Overbridge, I agree with you it should not be a blocker for creativity. However, a flawless integration with the DAW is at the very top of my list and it is actually a huge selling point. I know a big update is coming in February and I can’t wait for it. In the meantime I’ll be studying the Elektron workflow. This week I’ve bought both A4 and AR MkII. So I have a lot to catch up, starting from the A4.

It’s definitely a joy to program sounds on the A4 for example, but a shame Overbridge is still not available for the MkII. My plan is to use OB to bounce all the tracks to the DAW and go for it on production mode after. This is also due to the fact I only have a 2 input audio interface and right now I’m struggling to have all the instruments I’ve got connected at the same time. How do you connect all your devices? do you use a mixer?

Until February I’m trying to find a way to keep going and bounce some tracks to the DAW as well. Since I don’t have a multichannel mixer I guess I’d have to bounce track by track individually which would be possible but quite painful.

What would you recommend for now? I was thinking I could chain AR to A4 to AH then connecting to my DAW via Overbridge for now. Not sure if that would work tho.

Thanks again.

3 Likes