Hi quick octatrack question

That I’ll do it with four tracks, same sample started with a one shot trigger, no time-stretch, then subtle pitch modulation and level/pan automation.

hmm, analogous to tape then ,nice ! :wink:

Perhaps even possible with just two tracks?

I´m thinking each track with their own one shot trigger, into delay with an double LFO setup (first LFO with ONE setting controlling the delay time, second LFO with ONE setting increasing the LFO speed)… sloooooooooowly increasing the time parameter?

Fire off the samples, then turn each delay lock ON? And let the LFO´s take care of the rest?

Just from top of my head though. Maybe I´m forgetting something here…

this was extremely helpful. thank you!

perfect - that’s been my experience with A4, it rewards digging deeper and curiosity ! :slight_smile: #keepsgettinbetter[/quote]
can i ask u a question
i bought an a4 last yr and i use it quite a bit but,
mostly just for doing basslines and lead arp/sounds, future sounding shit
and its always u know, set track length to 64 steps, button-in a nice pattern,
this is completely within my needs, but, is there a bit more to do with this synth?
i mean, not rly from a sound design perspective, but (and i know this is an octatrack thread so sorry for going off topic) but whats some of the stranger territories on the a4? i’ve been staying safe w/ it so far. i do not understand the arpeggiator yet either

perfect - that’s been my experience with A4, it rewards digging deeper and curiosity ! :slight_smile: #keepsgettinbetter[/quote]
can i ask u a question
i bought an a4 last yr and i use it quite a bit but,
mostly just for doing basslines and lead arp/sounds, future sounding shit
and its always u know, set track length to 64 steps, button-in a nice pattern,
this is completely within my needs, but, is there a bit more to do with this synth?
i mean, not rly from a sound design perspective, but (and i know this is an octatrack thread so sorry for going off topic) but whats some of the stranger territories on the a4? i’ve been staying safe w/ it so far. i do not understand the arpeggiator yet either [/quote]
the a4 for me rarely sounds safe - i look for the dark corners with it, mostly without the sequencer - start here and never look (feed)back
++++++++++++++++++
Let the OT get here soon mr postman, looking fwd to trying this stuff out, especially w/o the sequencer

ok so ive got this track with this super long stringy part, and its at least 128 steps long
for that track its

start silent - auto
plays free - X’ed in
oneshot trk -

fuck it

super confusing. please help? manual does not help me either

i just want to it to play when i trig it from the sequencer and then let it loop itself

wait ok so i got it

sample set to loop in the editor

but now do i have to play it manually everytime i want it to trig?

in the t3 settings where the sample is loaded , i have to change it to “plays free” to allow for this non-re-trigging play. so i assume yes this means i am forced to play it manually?

how long is your sample? each track can be set to run as slow as 1/8 of the tempo. if that’s not long enough, you need to use a one shot trig or manually trig the track. plays free is not necessary in this case.

for the sample to run its whole course it needs 128/128
when i do individual track scales and drop the track down to 1/2, or even 1/8… it still retriggers after 64 steps. with no trig it just starts over on its own

or is there some way to change projects (and therefore sets of sounds) without having to stop the sequencer or pause play?

also i guess i would need a way to have the machines from the previous pattern switch to “static” on the next pattern change… is this possible?

If what you’re looking to do is the same as what I’m thinking then I would have the sample set to looped and use a one-shot trig for playback. The sequencer will loop every 64 steps but your (long) sample will only loop when it reaches the loop point you have set in edit. I’ve played back entire 5-6 minute long stems tunes of tunes I’ve exported from my daw in this way. As long as they were exported from the daw at correct tempo as being used in the OT. Helps greatly if these are in lengths of common multiples of the number of steps in the OT sequencer. ie 16, 32, 64

This seems to be the only way
Kinda lame huh? Wish I could trig extra long samples without having to manually launch

ok one last question

from pattern to pattern, do the machines loaded into tracks remain consistent or can they be changed?

and if i have a loop going how do i make it so that it stops once i switch patterns?

You need to have a look at Parts. Parts can be assigned to patterns. There are 4 parts that can be used. If you have all your tracks maxed out with samples the way you like on say Pattern A1- save that as Part 1. Then move to a new pattern, say A2 - assign all new samples and fx - save as Part 2. Both patterns A1 and A2 can have entirely different samples, fx and settings using Parts.

I would read this. Has parts (plus a few other things) explained pretty well.
The Elektron manual is confusing in relation to parts.

http://www.elektron-users.com/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=611&Itemid=30

also im experiencing a weird issue where the main volume knob of the octatrack does not change the main volume …

yeah bit odd really but the main volume controls the output level to the headphones only. if you hold function and turn the level knob you will see the track level indicator change to say “main” meaning you’re now changing the main out level. i usually always leave this as it is to be honest. for good gain structure etc.

for the sample to run its whole course it needs 128/128
when i do individual track scales and drop the track down to 1/2, or even 1/8… it still retriggers after 64 steps. with no trig it just starts over on its own [/quote]
Set the master length to 128 otherwise it retriggers everything at 64. I do it all the time as I usually need 8 bars not four.

What a tip !
Thanks I’d missed completely that this was possible, I thought 64 was the maximum. That has made my day.