Help me understand how to use "trigless trigs" on my MnM

So I’ve read online you can set a trig to not trigger the amp but I can’t quite figure it out…I think I tried to treat it like a p lock but failed. So let me give an example:

I have a pad with a long decay so I put a trigger on beat 1 to get it going. I have the LFO set to trigger (as opposed to free), and I would like just the LFO to retrigger on beat 1 of bar 2. So I go over to the right side and press the trig button to change it to LFO but it changes the whole pattern as opposed to just a specific trig…I thought it was just supposed to change the track at that particular moment? What’s going on here?

So basically how do I set a trig for a specific track that doesn’t affect amp or filter? Or am I misunderstanding what this feature is supposed to do?

Furthermore, how do I make use of multitrigs?

Thanks for any help! I’m loving the depth of this thing, just trying to understand some more nuanced concepts.

What do you mean by this? If you press TRIG SELECT it should cycle between all 3 LEDs lit up, and each individual LED. Are you perhaps holding FUNC while doing this? If so, it’ll take you into the MIDI SEQ mode, which is not what you want for this function.

Basically, for what you want, use TRIG SELECT to select the AMP and FILTER modes, and in each of those, disable the trig where you want only the LFO to retrig.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I edited it to hopefully make it more clear and I’ll elucidate further:

What I expect to happen is this: I press the TRIG on the right side to cycle through what gets trigged (amp, filter, LFO or all), and I expect that to only affect a certain trig–say, beat 3 of the pattern of one specific track.

Instead, it seems to affect the whole pattern and every track in it. Because if I set it to, say, LFO, then switch to track 2, it’s still set to just LFO. Not only this, but things seem to play as normal.

So there seems to be a fundamental concept I’m missing here.

I think your expectation might be slightly different to the actual function.

The TRIG SELECT key is more like an editing mode. With the default (ALL) setting, each trig you place will trigger the amp/filter envelopes and the LFOs. If you change the mode to LFO, nothing will change in your sequence until you add/remove trigs. So you’ll need to place a trig where you want it while in LFO mode.

I haven’t used my Monomachine for this in a while, but my understanding is if you already have a trig in your sequence that was placed while you had the ALL mode selected, pressing that trig in one of the other modes will toggle the reset for whatever you have selected… so in your case, you’ll have to switch to amp and filter modes and disable the trig in each one in order to just trig the LFO… unless you delete the trig altogether and just enable it in the LFO mode.

Hope that makes sense? I’m not sure how to explain it properly!

1 Like

Yes that makes sense! So you’re saying I need to switch trig modes BEFORE placing the trig down. Here I was treating it almost like a P lock to modify an existing trig.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

As described in the manual:

“Trig the trigless trig with a trig trigged by a trig when the moon is in its third quadrant and a gentle southwesterly breeze is blowing in from the Azores”.

Map for reference and non-Europeans:
Azores
Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/x7rj7NY4i372

5 Likes

Something else not mentioned is the neat thing about the trig types option is that you can lay down a bunch of (all) trigs, and then turn the sub types on/off in the sub modes. This is a really neat way of remixing a track without losing data. I love toggling the amp trigs on steps to get live variations on patterns, but i bet there are other things you can do. Also you use it to quickly remove plock automation without affecting notes.

edit: but be warned, often when I start doing these kinds of tricks (especially live), i forget that i’ve been doing it and suddenly wonder why i can’t enter in new trigs :wink: