Headphones dilemma

Im in the need for some new headphones to use with my Elektron gear.
Im wondering if anyone have any experience with Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro in use with the A4 or the Rytm? They are a bit high in Ohms and I’m worried the the A4 or Rytm will sound a bit low in volume straight from the headphone jack on the machines. Or will they sound ok?

And I’m also little bit unshure wich headphone i want…its between the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro or AKG K712 Pro but i don’t have the opportunity to try them out in my home town so I’m asking u guys…whats your experience with these headphones…the good/bad?

Good links…but they dont answer my questions regarding the impedance on the beyerdynamic Dt 880 PRO with the A4/RYtm Headphone jack…or anything about the AKG K712 PRO / DT 880 Pro impressions “good/bad” etc.

But the links was interesting reading :+1:

Take a look at Audeze or Focal Spirit headphones, they are my first choice.

In my experience (Sony), there’s no problem with using 60 ohm or 250 ohm headphones with Elektron units.

Plenty of people seem to like the BeyerDynamic headphones according to the threads that I linked.

Whether they sound “OK” to you could be rather subjective. Which headphones do you have experience (good or bad) with?

Well i have experience with a wide variety of headphones …Currently i use Beyerdynamic DT 1350 but i use them for djiing and there is where My experience with headphones is. When IT comes to studio headphones im quite new in that field. And i know that when it comes to headphones the taste is different for everyone of us…with Said what i really should been asking was wich one of thoose headphones are more accurate and not coloured in the sound. I want accurate headphones for music production as i cant use my studiomonitors in the best way at the moment (in need of monitor floorstands and à better workspace) Im reading all sorts of reviews of both of the headphones i mentioned and thats not helping at all at the moment as they both seems to be praised in every review :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can mention that the monitors i use is Genelec 8030 with a Genelec 7050 subwoofer…so IF any of thoose headphones sounds more like My setup then thats the winner :joy:

I’m a fan of beyerdynamic but as Peter said, it depends on what you are looking for. Right now I’m using a pair of Sony MDR7506 in the studio …periodically, I use beyerdynamic 990 32ohm with my elektron gear (they are open though). I have others as well but I use those most.

So i went for the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO…mainly because i already own à set of Beyerdynamic DT1350. Gonna write down some impressions of them here when they arrive :wink:

Take a look at Audeze or Focal Spirit headphones, they are my first choice.[/quote]
BeerZ are the Focal headphones good for monitoring?
My focal speakers are the best monitors I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy that brand again.

I don’t have experience with either of those headphones.
I have some Audio Technica ATH M50X. They have an impedance of 38 ohms. The A4 and AR headphone output is very loud I don’t usually go past 9’oclock on the volume knob.

I have the Focal Spirit Pro and they are great for mixing, highly recommended.
Just be aware, they can feel a bit uncomfortable at first, its just like breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Hi Strawberry
I have just been reading about the classic model and the problems with the headband cracking. This is disappointing from Focal clearly a design flaw.
Do the Pro’s have the same headband?

I’ve had no problems at all with mine, but I know some people have had problems, gearslutz have a big post about it I think.

I have the Spirit Pro’s as well. Best closed headphones IMHO. I was a little worried too about the cracking issue but I’ve had no problems whatsoever.

What are the main differences between the pro’s and the classic?
Same speakers?

According to Focal, the Classic is geared towards home users, with a sculpted response curve, whilst the Pro’s are intended to be flat, for studio use.

Thx Strawberry

Seems like the pro’s are for me. I will take the chance with the headband since you haven’t had any trouble. They will only get studio use so they should last a little while at least.

So 2 days later with the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO …really happy with my choice

Pro’s

• Superb build quality. Made in Germany.
  • Comfort is top notch. Tight fit but dont squeese to hard. Can use them for for very long sessions without any sort of discomfort.
  • Sound is awesome, detaild highs and mids without being to sharp, low ends sounds well placed and accurate…not exaggerated. Soundstage is beautiful.

Con’s

So far i really dont have any negativs to point out. Yes they are a bit harder to drive because of the 250 ohm impedance but its just to crank up the volume a bit

Highly recommended

1 Like

How does the sound translate when you play back on monitor speakers?
Could you make a track using the DT880 Pro’s and then be confident that it will sound close to the headphones on loud speakers?

Well i havent had the oppertunity to compare to my monitors…need some decent monitor stands first of all or a place to put them. But i can say that the headphones sounds pretty damn accurate and not coloured in the sound in anyway.