Hardware Video Player - Midi Sync?

my wallet told me not to go there again until my bank balance is ludicrously salubrious.

the Kaptivator would have a trimming function.
and its own way of nudging a clip forwards and backwards during realtime play to properly be in the groove.
and there are two preview screens and two sides of the crossfader with 8 clips apiece or something so its pretty way cool for prepping up the next clip for the transition.

also, the Kaptivator xfader would be midi controllable … i know the V4 i used to work with was midi controllable. Even worked linked to the xfader of a djm800 mixer.

Kaptivator also offers some moderately cool beat detecting generative video art options.

Powerful. Workable. Realtime flexible options. And the sampled video clips could be trimmed cleanly easily enough i believe on the Kaptivator.

the Andor1 doesn’t have clip nudge or speed adjust.

1 Like

Looks really cool!

1 Like

Little update on this thread.

I ended up getting an Andor1, configuring to send a midi note to trigger the start of the video from the Octatrack, which is pretty dope.

Only issue is that because the Andor1 reads video from a usb stick, there’s a bit of an inconsistent delay from the trigger of the midi note to when the video loads and actually starts playing… :confused:

Pretty cool if I weren’t trying to sync down to the sample…

Workaround is to hit play on the remote and then start the Octatrack arrangement with a count down visual reference from the video (like 3, 2, 1, go).

Little bit wacky, but still lets me bypass using a laptop.

have you tried using lower bitrate on the vid , smaller size , different compressions , interlacing ?
though if its reading from usb stick it could be stick used too.
and midi latency on the device.

all obvious i know … youve probably tried everything.

1 Like

Cheap computer $1000
Max MSP $399
Thats $1400 for some semi generic video effects ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Most people already have a computer, no?

1 Like

I have a 600 laptop that runs resolume and m4l quite well but it does have a discrete video card though. As much as I lust for a modular video setup resolume (and m4l) is super legit and a video modular would ultimately cost 3x more than pc+resolume.

Most individuals do have competent computers at this point so it’s hard to factor that in as a cost comparison. I mean the cost of a modular case isn’t generally included in the comparison cause we assume someone looking into modules has a case, as we assume someone looking into software has a computer.

2 Likes

I’m not really pro modular, but I did want to make the point.
Oh I get it, and there’s other factors too.
$100 skiff, $800 Visual Cortex, will most likely out last a laptop and software by decades.
Overtime add more modules would definitely cost more, but the value is higher simply out of durability.
And no, I definitely would not automatically factor in the cost of a computer simply because they dont last.
My 2011 MBP is about to die and I need a computer to run visuals.

So if you didn’t need visuals you wouldn’t own that computer already?

It’s the main reason I wouldn’t factor in a computer. You likely got it to do other things as well and would have gotten even if you didn’t do visuals with it.

A modular or hardware unit is unique. Especially a modular where the skiff serves only the purpose of housing the modules and is a necessary cost to get started

Edit: not trying to start a hw vs sw thing either. More of a wish people would do unskewed/unbiased comparison to make points

1 Like

Because I would use a computer for other things doesn’t make the cost go away when the priority is visuals.
Whether that’s hardware or software, lots of money will be spent.
Modular video might seem “limited” unless you spend a lot, but a computer and software cost a lot and have a limited lifespan.
Definitely trade offs.
I was simply making that point, not really trying to say one thing is better than the other.

No it doesn’t make the cost go away but the point is that it’s likely that an individual already had a MacBook long before deciding to use it for visuals.

For instance: an individual buys a MacBook in 2011 and in 2013 decides I’m going to choose between a modular and m4l to do visuals. The purchase cost for computer doesn’t factor in as a deciding factor for cost comparison at this point. Computer was already owned.

Of course In your case you do visuals already and need to replace a failing machine the cost of the computer does become a factor in a price comparison.

It’s the same for modular. If one is already into that case, cables, power supply aren’t a factor for cost comparison but if it an individual is building from scratch those things become factors.

So the equal comparison in my logic is

pc+software=$xxxx
Case+power supply+Patch cables+modules=$xxxx

Unltimately both produce pretty generic results if one lacks creativity.

1 Like

All great points. Apple certainly makes it easier to sway toward modular/hardware with digital media production by not allowing you to upgrade/replace a lot of parts on MBP.

That’s been my deciding factor in moving that way. I love Ableton, Max MSP, Premiere, etc., but hate the idea of having to buy a new laptop every 4-5 years.

Setting up a hackintosh at home for production and playing live with all hardware makes more sense to me now then ever.

Different strokes though, there are certainly always tradeoffs.

Not to derail the thread (I’m happy to create a new one if that seems appropriate) but I’m wanting to get into programming video synthesis and effects. Where should I start? Is Max the one? Any particular resources I should dig into to learn? I’m a professional motion designer and am really familiar with 3D applications, texture mapping, all that, but I’m wanting to get more into experimental generative video stuff for personal projects.

I like Adobe After Effects.
(Used above)
Hardware Video Player - Midi Sync?

1 Like

Yeah I use after effects daily. I’m looking for more generative capabilities for live rendering.

I really like VDMX, it has great FX, modular layout, and it’s super deep, completely midi programable.
Resolume is cool too.
Both excel at generative graphics.
I use After Effects a lot as well, but eventually everything winds up ion VDMX

1 Like

If you have a Mac you can use VDMX or Modul8, two incredibly good video programs. They are Mac specific. I lean more towards modul8 but vdmx is the more the popular software.

Windows wise (and probably on Mac too) resolume arena and derivative/touch designer are rather nice.

All of them can do generative-y stuff

My favorite program to use above all is resolume but that’s because I’m very familiar with. I currently sequence it with my dt which is some of the most fun I’ve had ever. Pretty much everything in resolume is midi mapable.

2 Likes

derivativeTouch is possibly very rewarding to explore.
from what people say the interface is pretty modular, and after a steep learning time, very expressive - and audio responsive.

https://www.derivative.ca/

cool example image from their homepage…

A friend of mine uses Resolume and makes fantastic stuff with it.
He usually sets up a mic, and that drives a lot of geometry stuff.
Simple and effective.

1 Like

I’m using resolume controlling with midi foot controller while playing percussion and octatrack for few years now. Still very happy so far

3 Likes