Hardware Sampler to compliment the DT?

Whats a good hardware sampler to compliment the DT. Im especially interested in the under 500 range, new or used.

I love my DT, and for me its an amazing one shot type of sampler, a great sequencer, and is the heart of my setup.

But im looking for something thats more of a dedicated sampler. Something that can fill in those things that the DT cant do. Especially for longer phrases, pads, ambiance etc.

Whats a good choice? Ive been looking at the 404 and the electribe 2 in particular so far. Of course theres the MPC1000, i think the only reason im not going straight there is because of the size of the thing. Absolute unit compared to 404 and electribe

Im sure alot of people are going to recommend the OT. and i have considered that, but im thinking it might be a little overkill.

404 no doubt is awesome with the DT. Loved that combo when I had it.

1 Like

Mpc it’s just amazing for sequencing and midi.

1 Like

The mpc isn’t that big it’s not that much bigger than an ot

I tried to look for that, but I got an error saying “not found” :smiley:

4 Likes

I love my MPC’s…& sp’s…they’re my favorite samplers.
Get an sp if you want effects & a lot of sample time. They’re a lot of fun, I’ve made really good beats on the 404sx, but MPC sequencer kicks sp’s ass… the 1000 is awesome & you can get 1 for $400 - $500. JJOS is amazing, adds a lot of features (look into it if you get a 1000 or 2500).

I use the sx almost everyday, had it about 3 years…it’s not for everybody tho. You have to like a challenge, chop by ear, 1 track sequencer. It goes great with other gear tho, that and a digitakt would be fun. A 1000 & digitakt would be fun too. Hard choice.

1 Like

was gonna say this but, i feel like im always that guy…

digitakt can so some awesome long form stuff, easiest by utilizing conditional trigs.

1 Like

I just love samplers & like to bounce around. Most of them can do all kinds of things, but joinin 2 samplers just adds crazy possibilities. I love the K.O. too. By itself it’s fun, but it’s a lot of fun paired with a sp as well.

Everyone is different. I don’t take time off, I’m a daily player, so I need variety. I couldn’t use just the digitakt 50 hours a week & nothing else. So I get you want a buddy for it.

“Cant do” was the wrong word. Unless we’re talking stereo sampling. But the digitakt has its strong and weak points, thats not controversial to say i dont think. Like i said i love the thing. Just trying to expand my setup. I have one synth and the DT. Not like im going crazy or anything. ive seen some of you guys’ setups :slight_smile:

I decided to go with the 404. i have no need for a complex sequencer like the mpc or ot. Just gonna give it a try. Should free up some tracks on the DT and compliment it pretty well if i can get along with it. I like the idea of running my mix through it to tie things together, that will be a bonus if it works for me

2 Likes

Sp404 is a good choice, much better than the electribe 2.

1 Like

I cannot advise against the Electribe2 enough.

Something about the sound of it has a hokey quality to it. The workflow is hidden with unlisted button combinations. It’s got that auxiliary midi port(which is a pain). Also, modulations are grouped and have to be picked from a list(with sampling you already have to play seek and find with a sound source- why do it elsewhere? Not to mention this also means that you won’t have full control of the sound)*

*-I should mention I had the Electribe non-sampling unit

I know people have made good things with the Electribe, things I enjoy. But from what I’ve played with it- it seems like aligning planets over following the trail of inspiration.

The SP404 is a classic, Madlib used it, j Dilla used it. I’ve heard only good things from it. I haven’t used it- but PLEASE don’t go with the Electribe

People sleep so much on the sp-555

Its like a super 404, velocity sensitive pads, better filter. Just isn’t battery powered

1 Like

If you’re not in a rush, save up for a Deluge, it’s extremely fun to use and really simple once you wrap your head around it, otherwise, like others said, mpc 1000 would be in your price range, don’t go fro the cheaper mpc 500.

Would also like to mention since people are recommending the mpc…

The mpc, id imagine all of em too, are pretty sterile. The on board effects suck. I haven’t tried the live or x. But it’s just whatever u put in is what you’ll get.

The sp’s have a lot more character. I’ve had a 500 and a 1000 and sold em 3 Times.

The sequencer is nice and it does have a certain “groove” to it that I think mpc’s are known for.

But the sp’s are a lot more fun and are essentially effects boxes too. The sequencer on all the sp’s suck tho. It’s built way more for live performance. Sampling and resampling and sampling more resampling. More unquantized stuff.

All in all I see too much overlap with a DT and MPC whilst the sp series, all of em from the 202 to the 808 do a lot that the dt and mpc can’t.

Why not? Its not as limited as a 404. I have the 500, 1000 & 2500. I make just as good of beats on the 500 as the 2500. Same with the 404sx. Same with an Electribe 2 (all tho the electribe just isnt for me so I gave it to my brother). It just depends on what you’re lookin for.

If you get a 404 you’ll either love it or hate it. Might want to read the manual first to make sure you’re ok with it’s limitations. You can make amazing music on it as long as you’re willing to put in work (or put in fun I should say, the so called work can be fun :blush:

1 Like

I know what side of the fence I am on…

P.s was a long time mpc 1000/2500 user. To get one now at an acceptable condition is ÂŁ500 plus ÂŁ150 in upgrades

The 404 however is get it out of the box and get to work. It’s very quick and immediate

2 Likes

Love that color coordination!

I’ve often considered getting an akai s6000, z4 , z8 , Yamaha a5000 , emu.
Big boxes , multiple outs , stereo , read wav files. , do proper sampler type stuff , some have waveforms and good synthesis abilities. Too.

They’re all under 500 usually

Just curious. Are you routing the dt and or volca through the sp404? If so how are you doing it.

I think at first im just gonna run the dt through it. But ill have to see how things go

Not pictured but I use a midi solutions quadra thru from digi midi out to sp404 and volca midi in. That way I can sequence both via the digi.

Audio wise I run the digi and volca into a mixer then into the sp to make use of the effects. It’s flexible though i tend to switch it up