Grouping tracks : is this how I do it . . .?

Hi,
So . . . There I was, in the shower, contemplating how I wish I could group SOME of the tracks on the Octatrack and compress them and leave others alone.
I thought I’d write on the Octatrack wish list posting, stating how grouping tracks would be really helpful, not just track 8 as master.
Then, while brushing my teeth, I thought about using the Cue as an out and running cables from the Cue out to the inputs. Then, using a Thru machine, apply a compressor to all the things coming that way.
Well, 2 instrument cables later . . . It works perfectly.
So . . . Is this how I create a group?

PS - were can I get 2 instrument cables, each one about 20cm just to reach the inputs from the outputs on the same machine?

1 Like

Setup a flex track to record cue and play and cue the tracks you want.

5 Likes

Oh, that’s cool.

I’ll try that.

Saves cables.

Cheers.

Brilliant!

Oh come now we all know who’s responsible :slight_smile: :

5 Likes

And there’s no delay doing it this way?

Interesting. Could you elaborate ? :tongue:

1 Like

If I mute a track going into the flex machine, it won’t be apparent until the loop comes round again . . . Is that right?

Very little : +1/384 microtiming. Around 5ms at 120 bpm I think.

It plays just after +1 microtiming, so mutes are instantly heard.

Id the flex track set to 2 steps and i think it was close to real time. But i wasnt doing anything so time precise like mutes, so…

If you go your way maybe pedal patch cables?

If you still want to use the cue output -> thru machine for one reason or another (maybe you want to plug external effects in the signal chain), just look for cheap patch cables at your favorite music equipment retailer. For example you can buy a pack of 6 0.3 m cables for €6.60 on Thomann.

3 Likes

Jinx!

1 Like

+1
In that case, the delay is maybe shorter (1.5ms or something), because you don’t need +1/384 microtiming with INPUTS ABCD Flex playing.
Delay can be compensate in Project settings.

But there’s a DA AD conversion or more if additional digital fx.
Edit : Maybe longer delay due to conversion…

1 Like

Been using @sezare56’s suggested setup for a while to have an independent bus outside of the master within my project and it’s been working just perfect, never had any perceivable timing or latency issue so far and you can keep those inputs for external gear instead :cb:

2 Likes

Cheers for all the ideas.

Patch cables ordered and I’ll try the other way too.

Some experimenting to do in the coming days.

2 Likes

Have fun! Let us know if you discover anything.

I checked latencies at 120 bpm :

Rec source = Cue > 228 samples (5.2 ms)
Corresponds to 1/384 microtiming (5.17 ms)
Will vary with tempo. Can be divided by 2 is you set X2 scale.

Rec source = INAB > 136 samples (3 ms)
Cue Out plugged in AB. Same results with a Thru or a Flex playing a recording in realtime.
Shouldn’t vary.

4 Likes

I’ll definitely let you know if I discover anything from my explorations.

Sezarre- thanks for checking latency; I think I’ll go the cable way just because it’s so explicitly obvious.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

Not that obvious because of DA AD conversion.

If you use Per Scale x2, 1/384 microtiming time is divided by 2 = 114 samples, 2.6 ms at 120 bpm.
And the x2 is not a problem, just add a second rec trig to the recorder (on another track, set to x1).

So the internal option can have lower latency.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve been able to get a flex track to play back while recording without using microtiming. I’ll have to give it another try to make sure, but I figured that it still plays as long as you aren’t trying to speed it up or use timestretch?