Goodbye trigless locks. Hello lock trigs

…always true if non-trigless-trig is false. also known as false non trigless trig, press func and do nothing!

5 Likes

I like the trigless locks terminology as they are locks you put on the sequencer that don’t trig the sound or envelopes, i.e., locks that are trigless.
Do we get to keep the term on older devices?
Trigless Trigs are my favorite weird trig name. At first it’s a total wtf, trigless trig? Makes sense to me though as your not trigging sound(triggless) but you are trigging lfos or envelopes(trig)…

3 Likes

‘Trigless Locks’ FTW

Both ‘Trigless Trigs’ and ‘Lock Trigs’ have their issues imho

We now think of Trig (short for trigger) as meaning starting the step, probably the envelopes

I’ve no horse in this race, but Trigless Locks seems more on the money

Edit: I’ve just had brain fade … it’s irrelevant … so I was advocating status quo, in error, thinking it was different from op point … anyway

2 Likes

Trigless Trigs are artless art.
I thought it was easier to understand for english speaking people. :smile:

4 Likes

My guess is that most people will continue to call them trigless trigs. Is this semantic change going to implemented in all product manuals or just the DT?

maybe some are getting confused by my confusion … trigless trigs are an OT thing

we normally deal in trigless locks and trigs … on the later analog devices we are afforded greater control of envelope restarting and even LFO resetting and so on

maybe this terminology applied within DT, but I doubt it, so we’re mourning (or not) the shift away from Trigless Locks to Lock Trigs … I think I actually prefer the former as it’s much more unique, I can foresee all sorts of communication hiccups when folk refer to lock trigs

maybe not

either way, what was evidently confusing enough will only get a little more confusing if we’re all using different lingo between products

this video is well worth linking to as a refresher

I kind of see some difference in that a trig triggers something, either the sound or an envelope, but either way starts an event that is done when the sound or envelope is over. Trigless locks, are used to lock parameters that don’t really trigger an event but more just change a setting, like a new filter cutoff or delay time, the parameter was changed but not much was “triggered”…
Trigless Trigs are definitely a strange term but that’s why I like them so much, they are trigs(envelope) but without the trig(sample)…:smile: In a weird way it makes some sense to me as sample trigs are the main kind of trig and an envelope or lfo still needs to be trigged, so Trigless(no sample trig) Trig(envelope/lfo still needs one)…:sweat_smile:
It’s funny because “trig” is sort of a multifaceted term, there’s trig buttons, you enter trigs, the samples are trigged, you sometimes trig tracks, lfos are trigged, and etc… It does all seem like some kind of event launch though while trigless locks seem more of an adjustment to me…
Anyway, that’s how I see it at the moment…

2 Likes

Lock Trig to me first thing that comes to mind is a Plock with a Trig…

Trigless (doesnt trigger FX/Envelope/Sound) Lock (Because it still requires a Plock)
vs.
Lock (Has a Plock) Trig (Triggers something internal / FX/Envelope/Sound)

Then again, Akeys/Octa user here, so maybe I am just not a fan of change lol.

The change will be from now on. We wont go back to change old manuals.

As I mentioned earlier, trigless lock is not a very good description. Trigs are basically event markers at a specific time in the sequencer. They signal the sequencer to perform an action. So it makes more sense to call both of our versions of trigs for …trigs. A lock is an action that is performed on a trig event, not the event itself. Calling a trig for a lock is just not very accurate.

I fully understand that people will call things what they were used to be called, and dont agree about wording and semantics. As long we all know what we are talking about, thats just fine :stuck_out_tongue: But in the long run (and for future generations of Elektronauts) its good to try to be as clear as possible :slight_smile:

And yes you can keep the trigless trigs! :smiley:

5 Likes

then, lock-only triggs would have been the even more appropriate Name :wink:
turns to: locko-trigs :wink:
which would be indeed close to what we do :wink:

I like loco trigs.
Wonder how it sounds in Japanese.

1 Like

whatever they’re called, now when i put a yellow trig in a sequence i’m hearing a sound - that aint right is it?

it’s weird… i have a trig playing a sample on page 3 of 4 bar pattern with a re-trig applied. if the re-trig length carries over into bar 4 the yellow trig plays a sound. if the length is shorter then the yellow trig plays no sound

I use a lot of dread locks trigs when I do reggae. :content:

3 Likes

You don’t get dub aborted? :sketchy:

3 Likes

In theory not, because no trigs on Pickup tracks. :wink:

1 Like

On the DT a lock trig does not use retrigs although you can access the menu.

Is this a bug, or working as designed?

I was going to use retrigs to ratchet the filter rapidly while a note was playing (note that the LFO is already assigned to pan).

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

That would be cool

triggered! :triumph:

1 Like

It’s going to take a while for this old dog to learn this new trick. Err, trig.