[FOLLOW-UP walkthrough video added!] Ambient Re-sampling Arrangment for Octatrack

when things get confusing with this method I always strip it back and kinda just start over from the beginning again, and always make sure to wipe the record buffers. the step-by-step walkthrough video is actually the second take of recording that footage… the first take produced audio that was largely an unlistenable mess! exact same source sample too - the great beauty and frustration of this method is its ability to confound expectations :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My first effort, using this technique, I found I had to strip things back a lot to keep things under control. When there are beats there is less resampling going on. I will definitely use this technique again though, there is beauty in the chaos! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

cool stuff! I can definitely hear the technique at work, thanks for sharing. really have to turn lots of levels down for sure

maybe you tried this, but one technique I used in my first video and didn’t repeat in my walkthrough to get an extra submix to sample that had less elements than the main outs was by having one of the record buffers sample from the cue bus

Yeah theres some sub type sound that is way too loud in the second section but its mostly out of my control at this point. I actually did route all the resampling tracks to the cue and resampled that, it was the only way I could think of to separate the drums/glitches.

Regarding that loud sub, do you have any idea why? The recorders/playback and all settings and trigs are exactly the same in the first section but for some reason every time I play, it, by the time it gets to the 2nd section the sub is overpowering. I’m baffled!

Oh boy… I’m excited to try this concept out!

1 Like

the main sources of build-up I encountered were reverbs/delays and filter resonances, so those were always the first places I looked - sounds like your situation though maybe you are getting some unexpected overdubbing when moving between sections?

usually my experiences with it goes kinda like this:

hey that’s kinda cool
ugh why’d I do that, sounds terrible
wait a minute what about this
this is pretty good
uh oh I just made a mistake
my ears are bleeding
WIPE THE BUFFERS TURN DOWN ALL THE THINGS
re-start arrangement
oh hey this is pretty good
don’t want to change it cuz it sounds good now but it’s not really done yet
repeat

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

That is exactly what it sounds like and what I first assumed but I can’t find any setting that could be affecting it. Strange because the whole process repeats half way through, in theory the buffers should just be re-recorded and then carry on in the same way as the first section.

I thought only pickup machines can overdub, I’m using flex so I have no idea whats going wrong :persevere:

Haha, that pretty much how my weekend went :rofl:

1 Like

just some speculation but maybe there is a looping sample (that doesn’t exist until the first section is complete) that continues to feed audio into the buffer, having been triggered from the previous pattern?

if you are bouncing re-samples between flex machines that record from and playback into the same submix you can end up with overdubs

Good cal!, I’ve just checked that but unfortunately no dice. I haven’t defined any specific lengths so some of the trigs will definitely overlap, I thought they would cut each other off though. Also, I’m thinking it could be too much resonance when the start parameter hits a certain point in one of the buffers. Weird how it always happens on the 2nd section though.

The mystery continues, thanks for the input, its appreciated! :slight_smile: