Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Just bear in mind that DAWless multitrack recording is not without its hells and headaches. You need to have ”compatible” recording media (as in, all USB drives will not just work like with computers). There is no editing whatsoever.

I am about to find out myself next week if this is going to be a PITA or not.

I am aware of this : I used a QuPac to record my (experimental electronic) band live 4h long session last July.
The USB key detail, you take it care beforehand.
And putting every recorded track in Ableton was relatively easy : I had had the good idea to cut the recording in two pieces :wink:
For my home use I wouldn’t record 4 hours, but I could use separate outs and FX returns, and then have fun with the mix :slight_smile:

For me, it’s really two separate things, recording needs to be as transparent as possible, workflow-wise, basically just hitting the red button.
Mixing is on the computer, where I can cut-paste as long as it takes.

3 Likes

I’ve used Qu-16 for a month and it was great and did everything it did promise indeed.

Only things Presonus prevails is the price and formfactor (both of them being 1/2 of A&H)

As per preamps? Do they matter as we use line ins?

I think, DAWless MT recording is good for recording a track and doing the mixdown in a DAW. It was not meant to be edited on the device that does MT recording.

And this is not a hard requirement for me. MT recording to DAW is enough.

But it’s a peace of mind to know all your tracks are recorded separately :slight_smile:

Maybe it doesn’t, but my current path in studying the engineering side of audio engineering, is leading me to believe that maximum output level and max inout level values tell me important things about audio performance in general.

It is a typical hallmark of ”consumer level” audio equipment that it cannot handle large voltage levels, that also is a telling indicator of how well/linearly an amplifier stage handles transients. I’m a sucker for them dBu’s I guess :diddly:

2 Likes

After you posted this I had a search and nothing came up, but then I came across this thread today: FS UK : RYTM Mk1 + KMI 12 Step + MidiSport 4x4 + Xenyx UFX 1604 Mixer

And it seems the Behringer ufx1604 does 16-track recording to a USB stick. Not sure what the limitations are but could be worth a look!

This probably isn’t helpful, but just in case … i use a thunderbolt->fw400 Adapter for my 2013 MBP to connect my MotuUltraliteMkIII. It’s annoying but it works!

I tried such adapter on my newer Mac, but it doesn’t unfortunately…

Thx @anfim I’ll check this :slight_smile:

Just bought a Qu32, should arrive later this week. Hopefully when I’m in the house on my own. if not it has been nice knowing you all, as I will likely have been murdered :smile:

1 Like

If the wife does kill you.let her know before I want 1st offers on your gear lol.least you can have a good send off😁

1 Like

I’ll Will it to you :smile: ~Saying that I bought it on the Never Ever Pay For, so the repo man might come a knocking :smile:

1 Like

Just say you got a bargain couldn’t refuse and your gonna sell something to cover the cost.thats what I seem to get away with :grin:

I’ve listed my Ps4 and VR headset for sale on Gumtree to reduce the damage partially. Joking aside I’ve been married 23 years as of last week (married when I was 24!!!), so she is well used to my purchase habits so hopefully it will just be a bit of minor earache :smile:

As an Edit the PS4 is sold and being collected later so thats the sweetener sorted :smile:

2 Likes

Been watching a few tutorial videos on this while working. Didn’t realise the Qu32 was so big. Going to have to go to IKEA and buy another desk!!!

Interested to know more about the qu pac vs analogue. I have a zed14 I quite like, but only record stereo out from it. There is a big price jump between these models so I assume there is a quality difference but is it in the summed sound quality or the digital options?

1 Like

Where to start? First of all it is the sound quality. It does not have noise as my old mackie (and those toher analogue mixer before that mackie) had, its more or less “noiseless”. The sound itself seems to have a lot more spectrum (if this is the right word, dont know better). Then there is a nearly endless bunch of routing options as well as pairing two inputs to one stereo input. Furthermore every channel has its own dedicated graphical controls. You can also customise your buttons and some screens to your needs. The integrated effects are very good (at least to me and my needs) and can be controlled by many options in a so called “expert page/mode”.

Its hard to describe, maybe have a look into the manual pdf to get a glimpse at the possibilities.

All I can say is that if I would have known how nice this mixer is and how much fun it ads to my process of fiddling around with my setup then I would have bought it much earlier. Last but not least: it saves a lot of place! :wink:

BR
jingo

5 Likes

Also interested in knowing more about this

1 Like

Feel free to ask…

Haha, ok! So, how are you using the Q2 and how is it at all related to your regret for using analog mixers?

I eventually got the Qu24 and I really enjoy having (motorized) sliders, mute knobs and level leds for each track.

Note that you shouldn’t use TRS to XLR cables with line level outs such as Elektron synths outs. Regular TRS to TRS makes it possible to bypass the input gain applied to XLR inputs.

I really love this mixer, perfect for the studio !
I guess QuPac is better for the live, though :slight_smile:

2 Likes