Feature requests: Internal “re”sampling

I’m assuming this has to do with insufficient memory bandwidth between where the A/D conversion happens and where a sample buffer would have to be stored? In other words; what’s available there is sufficient to buffer the signal for Overbridge and to enable the effects, but not sufficient to allow for practical re-sampling?

asked myself the same right now :slight_smile: i dunno how OB tech is designed but should i mention how much memory the MD UW had? :wink: you basically need RAM to (re)sample as a buffer until you save it somewhere. i cannot imagine that the Rytm doesnt have that available …

The RYTM probably has tons of memory available; that in itself is not the problem.

The problem is that you must be able to move the data you’re recording into that memory in such a way that 1. the processor doesn’t have to do too much work (because otherwise there won’t be enough processing capacity free to keep whatever you’re trying to re-sample playing), or 2. there’s sufficient bandwidth between the processor and the memory to simultaneously read from and write to it (because otherwise sample playback won’t work properly when you’re trying to re-sample).

makes sense. but processing power shouldnt be a problem, since the internal effects are of pretty high quality and they therefore need some processing power anyway. bandwidth … ok, im not an expert here, i slightly know how this works on a computer (classic front side bus connection or direct lane access through the CPU) but i dont think that there isnt enough bandwidth to handle basic I/O ops. and as you said earlier - overbridge works as well. addressing the USB bus needs the processor as well and there are a lot of audio streams running through the processor if you want - and it can handle it. so i really only see a possible bottleneck when OB is used, internal effects are heavily used AND you would additionally resample - all at the same time. if you think about it though … a consumer not aware of such things would easily be pissed if he couldnt (re)sample while the rytm is running in OB mode and the effects are all used … prolly the reason why we might not get this functionality?!

well, tech talk aside - i still hope that this will come one day. they surprised us with the A4’s poly OS; there might be another surprise coming to the rytm and what could be better than internal (re)sampling? :smiley:

I know it’s not resampling per se…

bu you could kludge a “live audio looper” by setting up a scene which sets the delay send on all voices at 100, with the delay engine’s feedback setting at 100 (a perfect loop), then the next scene will turn the volume and delay sends off on all 8 voices and let the delay engine ring out in a perfect loop…

then you could have a couple more scenes which changed the delay time to rhythmic divisions of the BPM…

2 Likes

If @Ess says it’s not possible, then it’s not possible. How much more official do you need it to get? :smile:

1 Like

i need a response from EVERY SINGLE employee at Elektron before i believe this !!:grin:

nah, just kiddin. but i can dream, can i? :wink:

I would love re-sampling in the RYTM.

I would love stereo samples in the RYTM.

I would love more info than … its not possible due to hardware limitations.

Please educate your userbase Elektron :smile: :smile: :smile:

Not going to happen. Can’t happen.

Can anyone explain what would stop MKI having resampling? What is the limitation? Or is it only just because Elektron can sell more MKIIs?

I read that they changed the input to be able to be used but if it’s internal resampling that’s just a firmware update.

No ADC inputs on the mk1, Avantronica reply a couple of times on that subject…

1 Like

That’s for external sampling using the input. What about the internal resampling?

2 Likes

^ This. My only reason for me to update (spending around 700 euros in the process) is internal resampling, and I wonder if that could be done via software update. One can only dream :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I kind of get it that for a lot of buyers it might be a selling point (apart from the updated external things) but just trying to wrap my head around, if it’s possible then why omit it, the input on MKI is basically useless at the moment, so having internal resampling would be really nice and could lead to interesting results.

Not sure. I don’t remember an official statement from Elektron saying it won’t be possible, so maybe wait until 1.40 is out for MK1 before you start implying they’re just greedy. Their track record sure indicates the opposite.

I was just purely interested in the technical detail if it was a limitation or something else. If it’s technical then that’s purely understandable, otherwise it’s just their marketing decision to sell more MKIIs. Not saying that they are greedy in any way :slight_smile:

Maybe I was a bit harsh. It’s just that recently Elektron have proven that they port features to their older machines gratuitously, regardless of whether there’s a chance this could hurt MK2 sales.

(I took the liberty to place this question of resampling on Rytm mk1 in the right place, hope it’s fine for everyone :wink: )

No worries Hans! And that’s why I asked about resampling in the first place, they are known to be super nice with updates. Since I read somewhere about input limits before and didn’t think much about sampling external gear since I use my interface for that. But since I bought MKI not long ago and thought that with internal resampling this would expand some limits I came about, like 1 filter, etc. Rytm is my first Elektron machine and I’m seriously considering buying A4 now, no hard feelings at all towards Elektron.

LyingDalai, that’s fine! Sorry for taking the question to another thread, it came up as I read about the internal sampling in that thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thx for your understanding, no pb :thup: