Fader performance with MPC tip

Ive got my OT set up with my MPC1000 running JJOS2XL. I can set the pads up to send CC messages, its given me a nice way to find repeatable sweet spots on the cross fader. Its mentioned in the feature request thread that it would be nice to have a ‘save to scene’ for those sweet spots on the fader but I doubt that will ever happen so this is a nice compromise.

Something other people may have missed is the ‘pattern to pad’ feature, you can basically record a midi sequence and chop part of it into a pattern, you can then assign these patterns to individual pads, like midi chops. The thing people might be missing is that even if you hit no notes, if there is CC data in the sequence this is recorded in the pattern. So basically say you record a cross fader movement into the MPC you can assign that movement to a pad, so if you make a bunch of movements and assign them to all 16 pads in say Bank D of the MPC you have a bank for basically a fader performance mode. Also as you can assign pads to CCs you can set the pads to change scenes on either side, also its all recordable

CC48 is for crossfader
CC55 is scene A
CC56 is scene B

4 Likes

hot tip!

pattern to pad is a killer feature and has been utilised to great effect in the ‘MIDI trigger slices’ thread that’s been kicking around on here for about a million years

Ah never caught that, I havent had an OT that long. The OT and the MPC make quite a pair, any other fun tips to throw in? Another thing ive been doing is midi controlling Lumen (video synth) using p-locked CC values and LFOs in sync with my beats, ‘sampling’ the CC data into the MPC and assigning it to pads on the and having a bank which controls my video. Fun to be able to play with it in realtime in a more complex and controlled manner, makes for some crazy visuals. Also it means I can quickly build video sequences in the MPC and free up a midi track

1 Like

also a killer notion.

i’m not too advanced on the midi side of thing - i’ve just been hammering samples for a long old time.

i’m afraid i don’t have any other tips to contribute, but it doesn’t seem like you need much help in that dept!

big ups.

1 Like

I tried a few month ago those Triggering Slices with Mpc 1000, and it worked well. The principle is to send a Cc17, Cc48, and a note.

I sold my Mpc 1000 and now I prefer to use the pads of my keyboard, assigning CCs to them.
With my Ep+ midi processor i’d like to recall 2 scenes with one pad.

Connecting a midi cable between Ot’s Midi In/Out, it’s very efficient to control crossfader, with plock and/or lfo Design + random.

using midi loopback to control the fader is a cool idea, that isolates the OT from my other gear though. how do you make that work anyway? as far as I can tell the crossfaders midi channel hops to a free channel, if youre sending CCs out and back in doesn’t that put the fader on the wrong channel? or is that where the midi processor comes in? ive never felt the need to trigger slices externally, if I was gonna do that id just sample into the MPC. everyone has different needs though.

stumbled across something sweet today on the old elektron users forum, its a lemur template that allows you to use it as a launchpad for the octatrack, its really cool man. big ups to roland/REOvolt who made it happen if he’s still around here, it was posted many years ago, if someone knows he’s still here point me his way to say thanks

and @tomes im no midi mastermind either, my cables are as tangled as the next mans :grin: if you ever stumble across anything drop it in, I think a lot of people avoid having two brains/samplers so people with the OT/1k combo are few and far between.

the lemur template

1 Like

You can use a midi merger and Ot’s Thru, you don’t isolate Ot that way.

With Mpc 1000 Jjos2xl I’m quite sure you can manage midi routing for that.

About the crossfader midi channel, I don’t remember, but any of audio tracks channel and auto channel should work.