External Recording Devices with Mutitrack Export

This should definitely not be happening on a relatively new high end mac. I recommend looking further into troubleshooting the issues before dumping money into a new recording method. Of course you might just prefer the workflow of multitracking with specific hardware but if you’ve got a good Mac it might be a waste. Do you experience crackling and issues when you’re processing audio or just when recording?

recording audio in. I even set the buffer to 512 and higher and it still happens. It’s kinda hard to know who to go to for troubleshooting, because I’m not sure what is causing it. Plus I only find solutions for Windows users. It’s weird because it’s not just crackle noises. My whole latency get waaay delayed. So if Im recording midi my latency is thrown back like 10ms…

Have you tried different software / DAW?

no…

RME UFX records straight to usb drive and files can be exported for editing.

There are so many options these days. Eveyone’s doing it.

But yeah I find that crazy it’s happening. Have you used an RME interface? They have the best drivers…

Have you tried opening a new ableton project?

one presently for sale here - behringer ufx 1604, there’s a 1204 too iirc

1 Like

I’m with @jb in that a Mac and an interface should do this just fine…
Do you have the latest driver for the interface installed?

Have you tried a different cable?

Have you tried a new blank DAW project and record straight away without loading any plugins?
Could be a plugin messing things up…

1. I thought you didn’t need drivers for a mac. Some of them are plug and play

2.Yes

3.Yes

As 6 different audio interfaces have been tried all to no avail would suggest it is either an OS, DAW or hardware issue.

Which OS version are you on?

Have tried unplugging everything else on USB? Or trying different ports?

Some need drivers, I’d go look on the interfaces website and see if there is one…

I’m running Mac High Sierra. Unplugged everything but my, external hardrive I’m using to record onto, and my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Bit extreme, but maybe bootcamp to Windows (it’s free to try) and see if you have issues there.

Is it the new usb C?
If so maybe it’s a faulty adapter…

no still normal usb

You tried recording just stereo and not multiple channels?

Maybe try a test recording in QuickTime which comes with your OS.

did you try your wires and interfaces on another system? I know it sounds unlikely if you used 6 interfaces but did you use a different wire for all of them? you’ll have to do a process of elimination to be sure whats causing your problem. I upgraded to high sierra recently after putting it of for ages thinking it might speed up my stuff slightly and its been more problematic. not sure if you can downgrade mac OS but id imagine its doable, you could try that. you wouldnt be missing much from high sierra unless youre really into siri haha

are there high ended usb cables for this sorta thing? Or just regular usb 3 is good enough?

Midas mr18 (recording in DAW only) or the A&H Qu-SB (can record to USB drive) are two other options… what I dislike on those stageboxes that they didn‘t put knobs into the device…

Regular cables should be fine, I’m more thinking yours might be faulty