External MIDI gear: trig keys ok, step seq ko?

Hi,

I bought my Digitone (v1.02) yesterday and I’ve been enjoying it so far. Today I started to hook it up with my other gear, wanting to use the MIDI tracks capabilities.

The external module is a Moog Minitaur, responding to MIDI channel 4. I have set the Digitone Midi track 1 to channel 4. Then I press the MIDI button, and select Track 1.

When playing the trig keys in chromatic mode, the Minitaur responds and plays. So far so good.

But when playing a sequence, active steps on MIDI track 1 are not sending any MIDI data. The Minitaur remains silent (and its MIDI LED remains off). Entering notes in the sequencer in grid mode or in live mode leads to the same result. The only difference is that in live mode I can hear the notes while playing. But then when the pattern loops nothing happens. The notes are present in the track pattern: I can see the active steps are lit in red, and in the trig page I can see the note, velocity, length etc.

Is there something I miss in the track or midi configuration?

Cheers,
Arnaud

Do you have the midi track muted?

1 Like

That was my suspicion at some point. So I tried to mute/unmute midi track 1 and this did not change anything.

Unless I do it wrong? The MIDI button is enabled (lit). Then I press FUNC + T1: it should mute the track, unmute it when I press again. When in mute, it is lit in pink. When unmuted, in green or white (depending if it is the current track or not). For the internal tracks it works.

You probably have to set the midi channel on syn2 page too.

1 Like

Sorry I’m confused. As far as I understood, the Syn2 page is for editing the internal sound. And I cannot see any MIDI-related parameter in Syn2 (neither page1 or page 2).

Did you connect the Minitaur to the Midi-Out or the Midi-Thru port?

To the MIDI out. When playing the trig keys it works perfectly (MIDI LED on the Minitaur blinking, sound playing). Then I live record a riff, and when the pattern loops nothing happens. The notes have been recorded by the sequencer though: I can see the red trigs etc. in the grid mode.

Make sure you’re in midi mode, then you’ll have midi options on the syn2 page.

1 Like

Brilliant, it works!
Thanks so much.

1 Like

What did you change to fix the playback? This may help others.

1 Like

I simply followed SonicRevolutions’ advice: in midi mode, the syn2 page opens several parameters for the active midi track, including midi channel. It was disabled by default. I enabled it for my midi track by setting it to 4 (the channel my miniature responds to). And there it plaid.

Overall, I had wrongly assumed that the midi channels set for each track in the main “settings” menu was enough. I had only read the “quick guide”, I’ll dive into the whole manual for sure now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know.
There are always little things with Elektron boxes that trip us up but fellow Elektronauts always come to the rescue in a friendly manner.
Glad it’s working for you now. Enjoy!