External input to effect sends possible?

Hello all. First post here. Just purchased the Rytm, it being my first Elektron machine. I’ve owned a lot of hardware over the years but this is new territory for me. Pretty excited to say the least.

So a question on the signal routing. Does anyone know if you can route the external input to the effect sends? On the FX diagram it basically looks like the input gets routed at the end of the signal chain right before the compressor. I was getting excited at the prospects of running my Moog through the reverb and delay and plocking it. Anyone know if that’s possible? Many thanks!

Yes, I would assume it works the same as the A4 which I personally use all the time. Its great and the FX are very usable. I actually have my alt outs 3/4 on my mackie onyx routed to the A4 ins so I can run any of the other stuff on the board through it with a button press.

Nope. Just hits the compressor. Hopefully with overbridge it will be possible to get through the filter and effects with an external source. I was a bit surprised when I read that on the product page.

I thought it was odd as well routing ext inputs through compressor only.

for me, not a big deal since I own the A4 and the OT but for people just getting the AR…kind of a bummer for them

1 Like

It’d be nice if the external audio could be routed to a different output, with side chain, but that probably won’t happen.

For me its a real catastrophe …
just another marketing shit from favorite company :confused: :sob::angry:

1 Like

My first elektron. A huge bummer.

Kind of a bummer for sure. They may have a way to send audio through the effects with Overbridge. I seem to remember a video with them saying something about the sends coming up in your DAW. Don’t quote me on that though.

That’s not good… I was thinking of selling off some euro rack stuff to get the AR.

I can’t be doing with all these limitations on these new analog boxes -no midi sequencers , no individual outs on the A4 (until you hook up to a computer !) and now you can’t route external stuff thru the inputs effects and filters etc … What’s the point ? Don’t be afraid to overlap features - not everyone can afford to own each single box.

A compressor ? An elektron compressor at that ! Wow

Fek

Seems like they have postponed it to Overbridge but I hope you won’t need to keep it hooked up to the computer all the time. I’m not short of effects options (indeed I have more FX inputs available on different gear than I have mixer channels to fully exploit them) so it isn’t an actual problem for me, but it doesn’t seem like a wise decision.

If someone was hoping to run a monosynth, guitar, vocals or suchlike into the AR and add a little filter/FX sparkle they’re out of luck for any kind of live performance, which is pointlessly frustrating. Nobody would be happy buying an external effects pedal to duplicate the FX already in the AR. I hope this will be fixed later; it’s obviously technically possible (in terms of having enough a/d converters etc) because the Overbridge functionality requires that.

sounds like to keep costs down they didn’t want to include the A/D conversion chipset and related electronics to place the audio input before the digital FX. Having 8 voices of A/D was enough for their costs to give the bean counters the sweats I guess.

The Octatrack still reigns supreme in this regard but really now the OT is really showing its age with no Overbridge and 44.1k limitations.

Rockreid, they’ve stated that you’ll be able to use the Analogue Four as an external audio interface to a computer, including the inputs. I would be extremely surprised if this is not possible with the AR. It must therefore have a pair of A/D converters for those inputs.

I cannot imagine they left them off to save money, even good converter chips. Even excellent ones like TI’s Burr-Brown 4222 series are only $5-10 each in quantities of 1000 or more. The marginal cost of adding 2 more to the 8-12 already in place for the drum voices is can’t be more than $25 or so. On the other hand I could imagine that they didn’t get the software side of the Analog Rytm finished in time for release so that they deferred effect routing to an update.

I’m guessing it’s because of the side chain capability. In order to allow a drum voice to side chain the input, they probably had to put it at the end of the chain. And it looks like it’s after the distortion? I’m sure they have something planned that we just don’t see yet.

oh wow. :frowning:

Sidechaining shouldn’t be an issue, you just tap the input signal before it enters the compressor.

I just say WHY ? WHY?
We are still hope…

I hope to god that’s the case! I was seriously considering an AR until I found out you can only route external signal to the compressor.
I really want to trim stuff down in the studio and it looked like the box to do it.
The lack of MIDI sequencing is a bit of a gripe too. All this avoiding overlap business? WTF?!

Anyway, not to get too negative, it does look like such a capable machine. Im seeing it can be more than just a drum machine.

I’ll be keeping an eye out on an update before I drop that cash….

Well….I just spoke to Elektron and they said it’s “a matter of how the hardware is designed and can’t be changed with a software update in the future.”

So that’s that then! Goodbye AR.

It is certainly a cost saving decision. Connecting the inputs straight to the output circuit before the compressor.

Possible cost saving in order to increase profit below the guide price (same as MD).

Without owning an A4, i was really hoping to use two tracks to pass my MD outs through the filter. I thought it was a no brainer to have the external ins replace the sample playback for a voice or two. Oh well.