Ext inputs isolate?

Hi there,

is there a way to isolate the external inputs section so that we can keep the same settings (gain/pan/fx sends) when changing patterns? Seems logical to me for such a fuction to exist.

thanks!
Dirk

Hey Dirk,

this functionality only exist in the bigger devices :confused:

But you can create a blank template (for every day use) with your settings on every pattern. Just copy the first pattern with your external settings all over your bank. You also can write protect it by using “toggle lock” in the project manager.

Thanks… now that’s dissappointing. If it’s a marketing trick than Elektron should reconsider. The digitone is not an especially cheap device. I can’t believe it’s a hardware limitation…

Your workaround is does not meet my requirements unfortunately… if I tweak external inputs in a live situation, I want these not to jump back to saved settings at every DN patch change. It’s such a basic requirement… just like linking L&R input levels: basic I/O stuff: either it’s dual mono, or it’s stereo. If it’s stereo, levels should be linked and pans should be preset L-R. Now at every pattern change I have to set at least 4 (FOUR!) parameters to align the external input. Not even talking about FX here, that might add another 3, which is SEVEN parameters to set manually each time. Wow! This is really a “One song, One pattern” approach…

Might be worth selling it , find another device that does what you need.

Maybe copy / paste page values might work , it’s detailed in the manual probably.

1 Like

I agree with you that it would be pretty interesting to be able to define the parameters of the blank pattern.
You may send your suggestion to Elektron (feature-request@elektron.se)
A good idea would be to discuss here the pros and cons of suggestions to converge towards a solution that satisfy most people.

2 Likes

Analog 4 mk1 behaves the same way.
The RYTM mk1 has no input settings (that’s the one that bums me out).
Octatrack is the only one I own that can be setup this way.

Well, that would be a bit overreacting, given the price of the “upgrade” . I can also plug the exernal device directly into my mixer, I have 64 physical inputs so that’s not an issue, just two more cables. But I liked the idea.

1 Like

Seems like a decent workaround .
I don’t think there’s a single device ever released that fits everyone’s requirement unless it’s very simple , but even a power lead doesn’t fit all requirements.

there’s often simple workarounds that already exist instead of sending in feature requests or hoping for a firmware update…i’m Sure elektron have / would consider it , many devices would benefit with a specific default pattern . Structurally most settings are on a pattern / track basis , which also adds a lot of flexibility for variety.

You could also use another device to send the values to the digitone input cc’s … eg use digitakt midi track to drive the values for digitone internal input values . Run that track at 300bpm and use 1 step to continually send the cc’s ( unusual way , but it might work )

I noticed something weird though: the settings from the previous pattern remain valid until the pattern is started. Meaning: I play the external synth, change pattern: I can see that we return to the init state of the ext inputs on the master page but the sound path in not affected yet. The DN sounds are loaded, I can play them. It’s only when I start the sequencer that the inputs actually return to init. Go figure…

1 Like

That was not really the point either. It’s about building up a set using external gear and a couple of patterns in a live context. So your 1st pattern plays, you start building up using, amongst other params, the ext input params, then you cue your 2nd pattern and the ext input params will suddenly jump to what was saved (or continously sent, or whatever method was used). Only isolating the master page will guarantee a seamless transition, which is necessary if you have say, a pad playing on an external synth. That’s basic music production technique: leave something, change something.

Well, not exactly.

A4 1 & 2, MD, MM all have “kits” which multiple patterns may reference, instead of the DT & DN 1 kit per pattern scheme.

So the question of

is answered differently on A4, the answer being, “have the different patterns reference the same kit.”

@pinup57 - see the thread Digitakt “Kit” Structure. How is it different? , as the Digitone kit structure is the same as Digitakt’s.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link, that’s a lot of conversation to read through, I notice that I’m not the only one who would be grateful if such an “isolate” function was added in a future update. Selective copying and pasting while playing live on stage with a whole lot of other gear doing things and needing to be looked after (=needing to be played, I’m a musician, that’s what I do) is not really something I feel quite ready for. Or maybe I’d need an octatrack then. But that doesn’t fit in my scheme right now. So I’ll continue the discovery of this instrument/device to figure out the optimal way to fit it into my workflow.

Maybe the Kit paradigm is the one thing missing in Digiboxes, indeed.
Always felt like OT parts were a bit clumsy (only 4 available in a bank, and no sharing between banks). Whereas Kits on the Analog series are such a good thing.

IMO the nicest way to implement this would be to get somewhere a checkbox to choose between a behavior where the actual Kit is kept on the new pattern (like on actual A4), or a default Kit (ie Kit 01) is assigned to a new Pattern and saved as a new Kit (Digitone behavior with some control offered on the new Kit).

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digitone feature requests!

Hi,

I’ve just connected a Digitakt to the audio inputs of the Digitone. The outputs from the DN are then going to my amp. After increasing the input levels in the DN main mixer I can hear both instruments fine. If I then switch to another pattern, the input levels on the DN are reset to zero. Do I have to go through every pattern on the DN and increase the input levels so that when I switch patterns I don’t cut off the DT audio?

It would be great if there were some project settings to control things like this and the midi output channel configuration.

They do sound great together.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, that’s is saved per pattern not globally. You will need to adjust the levels for every pattern.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. That’s what I suspected.

I start each project by setting my input and what I want all my tracks to start at (to avoid clicking) then I copy that pattern across the entire project. Pretty easy. Pretty fast.

1 Like