Expression mapping at A4 + Midikeyboard

Hey Im happy with the AK but running out of space, so thinking about switching to A4+ a Keystep.

Now I pretty like the expression mappings of the AK patches. Meaning velocity, Aftertouch and the Joystick.

If I use an external controller on the A4: Do I have to map everything manually per patch then, or will there be the same presaved automappings like it is on the AK…

Thank you.

Saved patches from the AK are identical to those on the A4 in terms of mappings. You’ll still have Velocity / Aftertouch / Modwheel / Pitch bend / Breath mappings - the main difference you’ll experience is that the non-AK controller will likely not behave the same due to its configuration

I’d say separate latchable pitchbend/modwheel/breath controls would be more convenient than a zeroing joystick (though latching pitchbend won’t be so easy)

making a virtual joystick in Lemur is straightforward, but afaicr there’s no breath CC out from the Keystep so whilst it’s going to be expressive and have advantages it’ll simply not translate 1:1 especially if you leaned on the breath mappings (either North or South on the AK joystick)

Thank you, Ok I think I will switch,

In an other actual thread here sb is asking about he posibility to enter Notes from an external keyboard into Grid Mode while holding a step-button like it is possible on the AK. This should be possible… then I think there’s nothing to miss, is it? :slight_smile:

Yes - works no problem - you can either do it with the mini keyboard, or if you have a device attached by MIDI and its MIDI channel matches the A4’s Auto Channel then it will act like the internal keyboard - very easy to switch Channels on the fly with the arturia, but also incredibly easy to false trigger the pitch/modwheel if your hand wanders too near - nice device but the Aftertouch will fall short of the AK probably, it’s inconsistent across the range on mine (and others)