European trip coming up. Suggestions? London>Paris>Berlin>Amsterdam

Hey there, 'nauts lounge…

A buddy and I are celebrating single life and getting out of 'merikah for two weeks, mid-August.

Suggestions for food, art, parks, events, 3rd wave coffee, music hangs (not dance, but creative electronic, weird jazz, underground fun), general shenanigans, gigs any of you are playing!? I realize there are travel blogs, but you all are real people who give a damn about some aspect of culture (music, duh) …so your opinions carry a bit more clout.

I live in Austin, TX, he lives in Chicago… Both of us prefer to lock into what locals tend to do. I don’t mean that as a cliché - for example, in Chicago, you walk a lot. In Austin, you eat BBQ tacos for every meal (mostly kidding)… you just do what is done… that kind of thing. Basically, we want to get into the vibe of a city without overdoing the touristy thing (although, there will be a few things in that lane)

Here’s the breakdown:
London, Shoreditch area Aug 12 - Aug 14
Paris, Opera-Haussmann area Aug 14 - Aug 17
Berlin, Charlottenburg Aug 17 - Aug 20 (I’m a massive Ableton nerd since version 5, FYI)
Amsterdam, Museum Quarter Aug 20 - Aug 23 (leaving 23rd)

Since I know you’re going to ask - I’m traveling with my OP-1 and iPad :wink:

Thanks for your infinite insight.

Can’t give you specifics for anywhere you’ve mentioned but I’ve had good results finding the not so touristy events/gigs by searching Facebook events in the local area. You’ll get some interesting things crop up, like pop up gallery’s, one off events and the not so legal all night party’s.

Seeing your only in each place for a few days that’s perfect for narrowing down the results and giving a good indaction of what’s happening under the surface.

2 Likes

Best Burger in Berlin: Schöne Burger in Schöneberg, directly at Winterfeldtplatz. Pieces of Art.

If you are into liquorice, go to Bikini store, “Lakrids by Johann von Bülow”

Don’t miss!

And of course, the Abletons always used to be cool, ask if you can have a tour in their office in Mitte.

And if you are into modulars, visit Schneiders Büro. Not so far away.

1 Like

They look so good! Burgers for dinner tonight it is :fist:

2 Likes

In the UK during August and you didn’t factor in Edinburgh?! Epic fail :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Generally avoid going out in Shoreditch for the most part; head north via Dalston (if you have to) for preference. There’s a tonne of food places up the Kingsland Road into Stoke Newington of all sorts and prices, for example.

If you do happen to want techno on the best PA in London, try the stuff they play on a Funktion 1 here: http://www.corsicastudios.com/whats-on/august-2018/jaded-6/ (though it’s southwards in Elephant & Castle, it’s easy to get to from Shoreditch).

New River Studios might have more eclectic things going on (https://newriverstudios.com/) - and Café OTO has some things that might grab you: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/

Mascara Bar is a lot of fun too: https://www.mascarabar.co.uk/#whats-on

Servant Jazz Quarters is interesting, but might also be quiet in August (as is the case with a lot of London): http://servantjazzquarters.com/events/

Paris I don’t know so well, but Garage MU in Goutte d’Or by the Gare du Nord is as underground as you like: https://www.mu.asso.fr/mu/ - it’s tricky to find, but look for people gathered outside. Paris is even more deserted of locals doing fun things in August than London is, mind.

3 Likes

I would do Brussels, Belgium if you get the opportunity. I’ve always loved that little town.
The Grand-Place, the Atomium, the Delerium beer bar, amazing chocolate/beer/frites…
You can probably do it in a day and it’s b/w Paris and Amsterdam. I highly recommend and there’s a great underground acid community (Fuse) - http://fuse.be/

1 Like

HA! I’d rather spend good time in a few places rather than over-stretch. I’ll be back. Likely next summer.

1 Like

With all due respect, I would add another contender to that title: Yo-Yo’s Foodworld in Friedrichshain. The burgers there are beyond awesome, and you can order a massive “side” of Pommes (ok, fries, but they’re just sliced up potatoes) and choose a beer from the fridge and the whole thing will cost bugger all.

The burgers are vegan, but if you’re not a vegan (I’m vegetarian), don’t let that put you off. They’re killer.

AND you’ll be then well positioned to experience some of Friedrichain’s better “metal” bars :smiley: it’s a great zone. Avoid nearby touristy Simon-Dach-Straße except for Paule’s Metal Eck, which is an excellent cheesy metal bar with plastic skeletons glued to the wall. They make an acceptable whisky sour.

Check out the c-base near Jannowitzbrücke, a comfortable and well established hacker space with regular events. Their web site has a calendar that’s worth checking just in case.

Have a great time exploring!

3 Likes

You Def should one day. The Edinburgh Festival is pretty special. Great comedy, music, arts and a whole load of people from around the world having a great time. Anyway, enough talk of this! You enjoy your summer hol!

1 Like

Paris, but not Barcelona?! Be prepared to use Tinder to find a place to crash, some of the places you mention will be very busy.

1 Like

In Berlin you should have a heavy drink/pass out Night at the hangover Bermuda triangle bars (named Franken,Trinkteufel and Rote Rose) in Kreuzberg.

1 Like

Paris is really super quiet mid-august & nothing is open on august 15 because it’s the holy calendar day (assumption). But you can have a good time along the Seine River which is transformed into a pop-up beach called “Paris Plages”: outdoors is where the action is. Try the following:

Brussels being less than 90 minutes from Paris by fast train (Thalys), it may be a good idea to spend august 15 there. Think about it for next year.

1 Like

Good East London advice, all very sound and valuable tips!

I’d add to this for (East) London:

Broadway market on a Saturday by London Fields, though super busy and ‘polished’ (for Hackney standards) it’s still enjoyable from a food and people point of view. Also the pub The Dove has an interesting selection of beers and you can get some of the Belgian beers someone else threw into the mix a few posts ago, in this pub.

Gillett Square in Dalston can be a cool hangout (NTS Live the radio station is there) and the Vortex Jazz Club there is one of the best in Lodnon.

Victoria Park is lovely with eg breakfast/brunch at the Pavillion Cafe there. Stroll over to the roundabout in Hackney Village for some craft beer (forgot the shop’s name but it’s right there).

Other than that I’d add Hackney Wick and Walthamstow (a little further out) as areas worth exploring if you have the time and curiosity.

Outside of East London (but very much still in London), I definitely recommend hitting Hampstead Heath (the heath/park), to enjoy the awesome views and vibes that can be had there.

For Berlin, I’d say…

…Tempelhofer Feld - It’s a tourist thing but it’s also a local thing. Awesome airport-turned-public-park and in the summer time you can spend a whole day there and not get bored. I also recommend going for ice cream at Erste Sahne on Kienitzer Strasse. The guy who runs the parlour (Dominico) is a true master of his craft and I’d say this is among the best ice cream parlours in Europe actually (I’ve tried them all in London, Paris, Berlin :)). You can also enjoy one of the many interesting options for food around Tempelhofer Feld, eg get an Acai Bowl at Aviatrix or go for tastey Galettes at Mama Kahlo’s. Tempelhofer Feld is huge, all my recommendations are on the Neukölln side of it.

…The Beuster Bar and the TIER bar for cocktails in Neukölln (both on Weserstrasse). TIER was once ranked one of the 25 best bars in Germany and the drinks you can get there are interesting, creative sometimes wild! If you dig wine or meszcal instead, check out Wild Things, also on Weserstrasse (European Tapas place with a dedicated wine bar and a dedicated Mezcal bar in the back). In general, that whole area (between Maybach Ufer to Sonnenallee and Kottbusser Damm to e.g. Wildenbruchstrasse) is beautiful and full of awesome places to discover.

…Insel der Jugend in Treptower Park is also wonderful. Cross the pedestrian bridge and enjoy a cold “Tank Bier” in a beach chair right by the water - or take a pedalboat out into the Spree.

…Klunkerkranich on Karl-Marx Strasse (on top of the shopping centre, you have to take the elevator inside of the shopping centre to P5 and walk the rest) is also a fantastically unique venue and with a great view over Berlin.

Lol I just love Neukölln man, bias advice here I just realise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

best “open your mind experience” in Berlin you might get at KitKatClub :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Other pubs worth visting include the Crooked Billet and Clapton Hart in, oddly enough, Clapton, and there’s The Lexington in Angel, which has DJs most nights and live music upstairs. They also have 250+ whisk(e)ys from all over the place - the owner’s a bit of a connoisseur. http://thelexington.co.uk/

2 Likes

I love The Lexington! Not that I can ever remember much the morning after…

1 Like

Barcelona really should be on that list, I’d skip Paris or Amsterdam for Bcn any day.

2 Likes

…berlin in summer?

well, let me see…best coffee in town…markthalle9

best gearslut tour…of course schneiders laden at kottbusser tor…and koma elektroniks office bar behind tempelhofer feld, that already mentioned airport turned into a park area, where the german version of loolapoluza festival used to take place…and maybe even a new elektron HQ will be open already…!

must been there places…holzmarkt…
must been there clubs…kater blau…right next to holzmarkt…best day to go…sundays…
and for the europe is soooo different culture shock…hell yeah, the kit kat club…best day to go…fridays…
and whenever…sysiphos…and…wilde renate…real underground grown big stuff…
but that’s all edm made in europe clubs, so be warned…

best way to move in town…by bike…no matter what google maps is saying…it’s all just around the corner, somehow…uber is not that common overhere…still got the good old cab business going…

good tips for electronica happenings…schneiders laden again…

best innertown places to just hang out in the green…victoria park (the kreuzberg) and treptower park…

have fun…

3 Likes

When visiting Amsterdam (you should!), check the following places:

• NDSM-werf is located at a former shipyard, a creative spot with places to enjoy music, theatre, good foods and drinks and more. A magnificent site really. Easily accessible by taking the ferry off Amsterdam Central Station. Takes you there in 10 minutes. http://www.ndsm.nl/en/ Cafe Pllek is situated there on the waterside, has great food, drinks and music.
  • Westerpark, a good alternative to the very touristic Vondelpark.
  • De School, this former school building is now a club. For a good night out, with great electronic acts and DJs. There’s also art and food/drinks. https://www.deschoolamsterdam.nl/en/
  • Bloemenbar, very nice cafe in the city centre.

Enjoy your trip!

2 Likes