Easiest way to browse sounds on A4?

Hey guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfH0-0HDAzE
at 3:07 in this video, he just browses patches by turning one knob… no need to hit enter everytime.

Is this type of browsing possible on the a4?

1 Like

Yes.

While browsing the notes on the sequencer won’t play the selected sound (I belive that’s how the A-Keys also works) but if you play on the mini keyboard on the A4 or have an external midi on the auto-channel it works just fine.

If you want to “preview” the sound selected with the notes you have in the sequencer you can press function + yes to keep the sound browser open. This isn’t a preview, because it actually loads and replaces the sound in your kit. But if you first save your kit and then after browsing and previewing you reload the kit you’re back where you started.

1 Like

Thanks but on my analog four, while browsing patches , it will only audition that patch on the key triggers on the a4 and my external midi controller will only trigger the " already loaded " patch in that slot until I load the new one. Any way around this?

I’ve only spent a few hours with my A4 so I was keen to try this out. As LarsErik says… When you have the Sound Browser open, rather than pressing Yes/Save (which loads the sound and closes the browser), press Function + Yes/Save (which loads the sound to the track but keeps the Sound Browser open). However, this isn’t a preview because the sound is loaded to the track.

Double-Klick on the track-button you want to change the sound. The availeble sounds will show up on the display - NOW you can browse different sounds by turning the ( tempo ) -encoder. The runnig pattern wil keep playing with the original sound but wsif you play the mini-keyboard you will hear the selected sound.
Push the ( yes ortrack-button ? ) again to import the selected sound to that track - when the pattern’s stil running you’llhear it with the new selected sound
I hope this is correct as I’m not in front of my instrument :wink:
Enjoy …

^ this. Double tap a track to preview any sounds on the plus drive

A properly configured midi keyboard will let you select tracks and cycle through presets using programme change buttons. Handy if your keyboard and A4 are not near one another

Is there a way to scroll through the sounds without pressing yes and hear/preview how the running notes sounds with that patch?

That would be wonderful.

Function + Yes will select the sound and keep you in the sound browser while you listen to the playback.

1 Like

Yep, I know that… but it would be so nice if you could just change to the next sound and have the sequence play automatically with that patch. Should be possible… just scroll through the sounds as the sequence plays and choose the best without having to press Function + Yes. That would be a dream.

1 Like

You should probably make a feature request to Elektron HQ then.

Totally! Would make all the difference to me as I indeed like to start with a sequence and then find a sound to start working from. @Ritec did you put in a feature request by any chance?

I did not put a feature request, sorry. But yeah I have the same workflow you do. Let me know if you put in the feature request.

I wrote something here: Analog Keys Feature Requests

2 Likes