Dual VCO / DVCO

Cenk uses the BT + sample for his kick. If you go with samples, you could also put the RS/CP anywhere else, which would open up the VCOs. Not ideal, but it would work. I’m still confused why Elektron thought we needed four toms, but whatever.

4 Likes

Lol

But, at the same time these limitations force workarounds which seem to end up with happiness rather than a bewildered a catch of the head. I seem to end up thankful.

Watched the Apple documovie on the 808. Now, that is pure magic. A device that was regarded as ‘thrown away’ breeds inspiration. It’s from broken pieces of debris that people seem to want to make dreams. They have nothing more to give; THATS inspirational. Not bashing ya, I agree that 4 toms is 4 too many for current me. :crazy_face:

1 Like

i must say, tho I love its sound the AR voice layout gives me ocd anxiety. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I tried with the CFG 19 (saw), BAL on the right, but I didn’t find it much better than a single cycle saw sample (on a tom track!).

And disable Env in Trig page.

Same here! Which track will I choose? :scream:

3 Likes

I suppose traditional acid basses usually only have 1 osc anyways.

#traditionalacid :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I tried with 2 Vco + a saw sample = 3 osc. Interesting but not traditional. :content:
Apparently only 1 saw available for DVCO ?

2 Likes

For accent you can use Velocity Mod on Env Filter and its decay.

2 Likes

I’m trying to understand what “sinesaw” is. Are there any pictures of all of these waveforms? I’m really enjoying using this for acid basslines

1 Like

no idea what a sinesaw is expect perhaps a sine wave and saw wave blended together…?

a few years in now and the DVCO has proved itself to be one of the maddest most versatile synths i have and keep returning to.

Tracks 1,2,3 on same midi channel as a 3 voice poly synth is something i’m gonna explore today.

4 Likes

With a midi processor? Otherwise I think you’d only get 3 voices unison.

pseudo-poly. let a confined man dream.

3 Likes

With a single cycle waveform and a midi processor like RK002 you can get 8 polyphonic voices. Unfortunately not 8 Dual Vcos but from what I tested with a Saw, a single cycle is almost as good as DVCO with saw.

3 Likes

layered together you got Triple Osc on one voice. Model D style.
Delicious.

5 Likes

I have an mpe controller (roli block) and set it to play on ch 1-3, so it cycles midi channel per note between those 3. It’s neat. Biggest pain has been doing sound design and having to reload the sound across the 3 voices.

2 Likes

I’m only half way through this thread, and only tonight did I think about bout using the VCOs to do acid. It sounds pretty good, and has Overdrive, Delay and Reverb build-in!

Anyone find a way to get the overdrive to do a convincing Proco Rat :sweat_smile:

Also, what’s the closest sound pack that I can buy right now that’s got a decent 303?

2 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m still new to the Hardware/Elektron scene, and Ive seen so much raving about the Dual VCO on RYTM. I have a general idea of what it is…basically a massive mono bass synth, right? Other than that, I dont know too much about why this is such a big deal in a drum machine (seems like it is), how to approach using it, and how to push its limits in general.

And…if it’s intended to be musical on a drum machine without piano keys, what is the best way to go about keeping things in key using Chromatic mode?

Any resources or insights that can help me get a full picture on the DVCO on RYTM? Ive been researching this forum for info, but so far most of it has been over my head.

Thanks a ton!!!

It’s indeed basically a simple but big sounding subtractive mono synth in your Rytm.

I’d say maybe don’t see it as a huge / amazing thing in and of itself, but see it in the context of having limited space on your table or muscles to lug synths around. It’s capable enough to do adequate simple mono bass / melodies, so it can mean you need to use one less dedicated mono synth in your setup for example. That’s how I’d describe the “why it’s such a big deal”.

For me, as someone who gets overwhelmed with too many synths/things happening at once, it’s a great thing to have for basic needs.

If the tips above in this thread go over your head, try to just approach it as the simple Osc + filter + amp mono synth voice that it is. The dual oscillators have many ways they can interact together, but I can imagine that might be a bit complicated to understand; so just play around there and follow your ears :wink:

8 Likes

Really appreciate the perspective, man!

This really helped simplify the approach to the DVCO. Being new to hardware coming from DAW life, being able to sort out the correct mindsets to have is important so I don’t get overwhelmed myself.

2 Likes

My number 1 piece of advice when heavily using the dvco is let the rytm warm up as it will go out of tune from time to time. Also, if you are really happy with dvco part, save the sound and ideally record the audio internally or externally, even if it is just reference, as I have found (and maybe just my rytm) on numerous occasions 1 of the oscillators has drifted weirdly and I have had to reset the sound to bring back in tune.

I wish Elektron would add a fine tune for it.

However, I really do love the dvco, I use it loads both for bass and melodic stuff. Scrolling through the oscillators produces some wild and often hard to use sounds, but will careful tweaking they can produce some really unique tones.

5 Likes

And don’t forget that you can add a rad sounding 3rd oscillator thru the sample section (single cycle waves, short loops, etc). There’s a lot of unusual sounds that can be tapped in this way, which makes DVCO quite special IMHO

5 Likes