Dual VCO / DVCO

I mean if you’re in the market for a drum machine mkIs are stupid cheap for what it offers.

I have a MK1 and I was thinking about trading it for a MK2 just because I’m a little afraid that in the near future Elektron will release some update that will only work in the new machines. Not sure about it, but we all know that those guys are not very much into this full disclosure thing.

Wow, I just made an awesome sound with the DVCO, but when I changed my pattern I couldn’t find it and lost it. :dizzy_face:

Theyre also into showing love for as long as they can.

Aside from the better USB (edit: and sampling), nothing about the innards have changed, so “important” stuff should hold over.

3 Likes

just like the current os then, but otherwise (sampling aside) there is 100% electronic parity between devices afaict, so there’s absolutely no reason to be pessimistic on that front if a MK1 is on your radar

it’s more realistic to be worried about there being any updates given how stretched things seem to be presently, hopefully this will improve after OB2 but the AR is well armed

1 Like

EFFIN LOVE IT! Absolutely obscene machine.

Good times. Now back to 1.30. Got work to do :slight_smile:

haven’t upgraded to the new firmware yet but having read few posts and listened to some examples i was thinking: has anyone tried yet to sample the DVCO sound and then load/layer it on the other tracks? (yes?) of course this won’t be like effectively have extra DVCOs but it could somehow overcome the limit of just four(two) going up to…well, eight? this won’t give full control over the sound itself, but still… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i guess the MkII is stretched to its limits because of the sampling-part. the MkI however does not use the sampling so there should be more room for improvements (wired thinking?)

anyway… I’m still wondering if there will be some serious future-updates for the A4 but this belongs not here

1 Like

yesterday i installed the new OS for the AR and i was very satisfied, it will take some time to get my mind around it but it sounds very nice and organic … the oscillators are very beefy to my ears

although it might crazy to think about it that way but the whole machine reminds me a bit on the Waldorf RackAttack drum-synthesizer I’ve had many years ago … people who know this Waldorf may have similar thoughts

a drum-synthesizer with similar architecture but on DSP with extreme beefy oscillators and a multimode-filter

but back on topic: i found, that the whole machine has reached a new level, also Elektron may have improved the compressor … I don’t know how to say but it works slightly different now

Hello,

I don’t understand this new DVCO feature. It’s like a new oscillator? How it’s possible?

It’s (they’re) not new, the oscillators are part of the existing voice circuit building blocks, they’re just being used(configured) in a different way now, creating a new ‘machine’ type - the bottom row of 3 voices / 4 tracks contains the most flexible/sophisticated voice circuits - that’s why the DVCO appears here and why it can’t appear elsewhere

Whether other voices can eventually be given new (simpler) general synthesis machines is another matter, seems unlikely imho, but time will tell

2 Likes

Alright but what I don’t understand is how many oscillators (physical?) are in the AR. The manual say 1 sound generator.

I’m currently quite struck by the Dual VCO engine’s percussive potential. I’ve been enjoying resampling the “body” of snare drums from Dual VCO in (FM?) mode onto a pad and layering it with the noise engine, getting almost physical modelling type sounds similar to my Nord Drum 2.

This new engine plus the ability to sample has really opened it up for me and made it a much more complete sound design platform.

EDIT: Oooh sample the noise, add it to a DVCO sine/tri FM track, and turn the volume of the sample down, then apply velocity mod to it’s volume. Add synth machine decay to taste depending on how much ring you like with your toms!

Very expressive toms! Sysex & sample attached. (same sample for both sounds)

DVCO_NZ_TOM_HI.syx (207 Bytes)
DVCO_NZ_TOM_MED.syx (207 Bytes)
NOISE BURST.wav (57 KBytes)

5 Likes

The “sound generators” differ between the tracks. They have different numbers of oscillators that can be configured in different ways to make the various “machines”.

You can read more in section 8.2 of the manual “Machines”.

The various configurations are described in Appendix D.

This system is derived from how old analog drum machine sounds were made: for example, look on the internet to see how different numbers of oscillators were used for the different drum sounds in the old Roland TR-808.

5 Likes

I understand! Thank you very much!

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Prepping samples by cutting bass?

Can anyone with both Rytm and Monologue comment on how the DVCO compares to Monologue?

On the face of it, there are a lot of similarities.
Single LFO, motion record (p-locks), two osc, snappy/percussive envelope.

DVCO as a synth gains extra filter envelope, multi-mode filter, some FX, sample layer as 3rd osc/noise, and a deeper sequencer with all the trimmings.
Monologue gains wave shaping, keys, and a great knobby interface.

Thinking I could maybe let Monologue go if I have a Rytm again.

I don’t have a monologue, but a lot of my friends do, and I’ve played with a few of them.
If I had a monologue, it would be for sale now just because of this update.

1 Like

what am i missing? i cannot get a pleasing sound out of this dvco. tips? tricks? can’t wait to get the digitione for BASS

I dont know, I found about 80 pleasing sounds just leaving everything at default and scrolling through the configs ¯_(ツ)_/¯

6 Likes