Drum machine to compliment the Digitakt

These sorts of posts really only have one correct answer-

Only you know what works for you.

Well unlike a lot of people I keep buying and selling gear so it’s not just about hoarding more and more. Some things don’t work out well for me (like the DrumBrute), other things get boring super fast because of it’s limitations (like the tr-8 which you cannot save parameters with), others I keep purely for their sound and character and still use them (like my Minitaur and Blofeld).

So not just I keep buying stuff not to use them in the end, I always own 4-5 synths and do live acts too so for me it’s important what I pick and learn to use, since on the PC I can do anything I want, in a live settings it’s not that easy.

Also consider jomox xbase.

I have to say though, if you want my personal preference as an idea, I would go tanzbar hands down every time. As you said it just sounds great. It has maybe more limitations than rytm but I would take advantage of awesome modulstion and limited sound palette to draw as much as possible out of it

Sample analog drums into digitakt.

4 Likes

Tanzbar samples for DT :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Analog Four can be an excellent drum machine, I decided to take it instead of AR.
I’d like a Machine Drum too.

i use it with a 909 on the side

He wants Analog

What about the Boutique series ?
Analog enough to my ears.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

He can get a good deal on one of the two mentioned. That’s why he’s asking guys

2 Likes

Don’t buy either one. Buy an analog heat and run the Digitakt through the clean boost or a tiny amount of one of the other settings. You won’t be able to tell the Digitakt is digital after that, I assure you. If that’s too expensive for your current budget, get a strymon deco (make sure to read up on the internal settings and get your EQ right).

3 Likes

…yeah. and digitakt needs that analog warmth. I hope they’ll put in all the classic Machines from the machinedrum. full digital synthesis.
btw. this is a killer machine for Digitakt: https://58eca9fdf76150b92bfa-3586c28d09a33a8c605ed79290ca82aa.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/damage-control-liquid-blues-distortion-319843.jpg

I was wondering any of the tanz machines (tanzmaus, tanzbär 2) would support the retrigger feature of the Digitakt sequencer. I am having 2 concerns:

1. I don’t know if the Digitakt sends retriggers over MIDI (I can test it now that I think about it)
  2. I don’t know if the tanz machines recognize such fast triggers and can play samples faster than it’s sequencer’s quantization.

I want to do glitches. I am guessing that most of you would suggest me to do them within the Digitakt but I haven’t found satisfying samples yet.

Is there anyone here that has the machines to test and let me know?

Vermona DRM

Sequence it with the 8 DT midi tracks but tweak to your hearts content on its beautifully knobby panel.

Also volca beats
w snare mod. Cheap :smiley:

As far as I know is retrigger only a feature of the audio tracks (which doesn’t send MIDI notes).

1 Like

I love DT->AR. The analog comp at the end is a nice touch and the per track overdrive and master distortion are great.

I usually use the DT for edits style samples and the AR for samples + analog accents though.

Can anyone test this? I don’t have a DT at the moment. The Re-triggering is done on a trigger/step level rather than being a parameter in any of the menus so I’d be really surprised if it didn’t do re-triggers.

E: through some searching it looks like its true. The DT does not offer its retriggers on Midi tracks.

Man this is a real bummer. I had some plans to use the 8 midi tracks to sequence an Ableton drum rack while using the 8 audio tracks for melodic stuff.

I really hate piano roll editing and the idea of using the midi sequencer to do all of my programming was really appealing.

There is no MIDI retrigger function on the DT, for the 8 audio tracks there is though.

You can still sequence MIDI. You also have 8 assignable CCs (as well as PB, MW etc) at the disposal of the powerful sequencer/ LFO engine.

@leoparde
I have both the DT and AR.
The Rytm is used almost exclusively for its analogue sounds and effects, while the more capable sampling function of the DT takes on the heavy lifting in that regard especially loops, vocals, and single cycles.
The combination of the two is great fun, although I’m only really scratching the surface of the pairing after about three months. Resampling from one to the other can be fun :slight_smile:

But in the end, realise that you are very unlikely to find a box that does everything you want. Just know that either way there will be some trade-offs and work to the strengths of what you have decided upon.

edit - My AR has nothing but nice things to say about the DT, I think it sees the DT as a younger version of itself with hope, dreams and aspirations that come with youth.

"You can still sequence MIDI. You also have 8 assignable CCs (as well as PB, MW etc) at the disposal of the powerful sequencer/ LFO engine."

Yes, of course but for the purposes of sequencing a DrumRack like I intended those assignable CCs won’t help me much. My problem isn’t modulating Ableton drums with plocks/lfos, its programming unique rhythms in a way that’s enjoyable to me in the first place.

I enjoy the DT and its re-triggering for coming up with rhythms way more than Ableton’s piano roll.