Do I need modular FX?

Hi Nauts !

Hope everyone is doing fantastic today :grinning:

I read about the Erica Synth Techno in its dedicated thread but figured I would create a new thread specifically for this… The whole system would be too much for me, but the Dual FX module sparked my interest so I ended up watching the video demo (see below), and I was blown away by the sound of it.

I’m particularly interested in what comes out of the “Stalker Reverb”. Dual pitch shifter combined with delays is nuts as well. Now I’m GASing hard, but it’s modular, and I don’t know anything about the subject, apart from the fun results I get making cable spaghetti on my Moog DFAM.

I guess my questions are:

• Is there a way to reproduce those FX styles (particularly Stalker Reverb) with software plugins (or maybe other - less expensive hardware) ? Could my OT serve the purpose (I’ve seen threads where people - @sezare56 comes to mind - have been using the FXs in ways I didn’t think possible ?

• Given that I own the DFAM which could be a real nice start for a modular system, would you consider building a small modular system, mainly centered around FX modules processing the DFAM, augmenting its modulation possibilities and providing FX treatment for other sound sources ? I know I’ll get personal preferences here but that’s what I’m after.

For context, I own : DN, A4, MD, OTmk2, MPC Live, DFAM.

As usual, thanks for reading and take care <3

4 Likes

Is it stereo? What is the price?

Looks nice. Doesn’t seem there’s any kind of internal mixing on the module itself? That would be “too bad”.

my thoughts too, what a sweet module. 250 quid, looks worth it. Ive wondered about euro for FX but I didnt know if it would be hassle getting sounds in and out of it at the right level from non modular sources. ive seen some octatrack specific modules before that I think can be used to modulate things from the LFOs and stuff.

those sorts of reverb remind me of valhalla shimmer. someone here says

The recipe for shimmer is: PitchShifter + Delay + Reverb -> Feedback/Output.
In the case of shimmer-circuit, a tiny bit latency is just additional delay.

(e.g. 128ms delay changes to 134ms delay…e.g.)

description fits the module. could be done on OT, ill have a go later but ive never heard reverb like that come from OT before. maybe someone else can make it happen

2 Likes

I can hear some kind of feedback goin on, the stalker reverb seems to be noise, reverb and delay? Both this and the dual pitch shifter + delay is perfectly possible to do in an effects rack in ableton!

1 Like

The big question is whether it’s stereo. I see two inputs so maybe it works either 2x mono or stereo? If not, and you’re not already “in” the eurorack ecosystem you might be better off with a midi-controllable stereo unit like an eventide or strymon, and benefit from recallable presets etc. as well.

Software is the cheapest solution though. Bet you can get some good Black Friday deals on the plugin versions of the eventide stuff, Valhalla vintage verb, etc.

3 Likes

Shimmer tests with OT by @J.m

And me :

I want to try to do better now, with feedback. :slight_smile:

I especially liked the Ripper + Stalker Reverb fx.

3 Likes

I always feared modular synths for the obvious reasons (endless, price range, etc.)
but lately I’ve been fantasizing about having a few modules, mainly for processing other sources (I recently saw/heard Mutable Instruments’ Clouds from a friend who has one wich kinda sparked this whole thing)

this one also seems nice… those two together could be a really FX cool combo (I’m really into drone/ambient landscapes)

maybe, if I end up selling my Octatrack (I’ve barely used it since I got my Digitakt) I could invest in these…
oh, the GAS! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the link, seems like I have some reading to do ! I have Live 10 so I’ll give those recipes a try, and make my own take on it.

@sezare56 I associate what you do with the OT to magic. Not necessarily real magic, but some David Blane stuff that impresses plebs like me. I’ll need to free up an entire weekend to try all the recipes you left on this forum :smiley:

1 Like

If you want to mess around and try stuff out with modular, can’t go past the software version VCV https://vcvrack.com

It has the official clouds for example, most of the mutable instruments modules are there as audible instruments

2 Likes

For the price of a euro case + cool modules + bits you would be in the ballpark of getting two eventide h9 max’s.

It would work with all your existing stuff without having to worry about attenuators/amplifiers, a new bunch of cables, plus easily integrates with midi control.

It may not replicate a specific euro module 1-1 but you could get a hell of a lot out of it.

I’ve always wanted the tip-top audio z-dsp effects module. It’s the one with the switchable reverb cards.
My thoughts for fx is that it’s better to go pedals though.

what I don’t like that much about the H9 (correct me if I’m wrong) is that it doesn’t have knobs… and that is one of the things that detracts me from using my iPad as an fx processor (although I sometimes do anyway :blush: )

Eventide Blackhole plugin

1 Like

Eventide Space Blackhole ! I miss it.
Strymon Bigsky, Empress Reverb (@LyingDalai ?)…

Yesterday I made shimmer tests with feedback, better results, but a bit deceiving too : OT reverbs are not really stereo. They don’t respect the signal panning. You have to use 2 tracks for that.
Too dark.

it‘s the halls of valhalla. you get the same algorythms in the valhalla plugins, each for 50 euro

Maybe these are of interest to you if you’ve got your eye on just a couple of modules:

I own a DFAM and Mother 32 and have one of these https://www.signalsounds.com/moog-music-eurorack-case-104hp?gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOJ5nAGNMpGS3GG2XAyHl5zCujuyqtv0uJbI5I58fhisoV5TkzB_w6BoCEvoQAvD_BwE

All modules inside that case are just fx processors, 2 delays, spring reverb, Maths and Morphagene and an ES-8 for piping the Moogs into Reaktor Blocks and VCV Rack.

You could just buy one of those pods to start with and use one of the Expert Sleepers modules with VCV rack for super cheap and see what you like and what you might want to buy in Hardware. But even without spending you’d have a tonne of things to pipe in and out of the DFAM and play alongside with.

Hope this helps

1 Like

They do have some controls in setup page :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep. Seems stereo but it isn’t really. It doesn’t change if you set AMP BAL to the left or right. There is a kind of panned eq as stereo effect, that’s all.
I can’t call it a stereo reverb as it treats incoming signal as mono.

1 Like

The pedal market and modular market have a lot in common.
The ability to share a power supply, the interoperability, modulation options (of course more limited in pedals).

Rather than ask, “Do I need this module?”, ask what it is about the module you like and whether its strengths that are inherent to the eurorack system (lower price if you already have a system going, modulation) outweigh other options that are outside the eurorack system, including ones that incorporate gear you already own. Consider that a used OTMK1 would make a highly configurable 4 in, 4 out dedicated FX processor with neighbor routing employed. All those LFOs and scenes. What would that same $700-$800 get you in eurorack land?

Or your own single OT with its own FX, going out of the 3/4 outs as an AUX… into a ZOOM MS-70cdr/100bt, with their various FX options and chain ability, would give you a vast breadboard to achieve interesting multi-fx sounds.

Personally, I tend to favor pedals over eurorack, since my experience of building a system around an Atlantis did yield positive results. And the used pedal market is huge, especially on Reverb.com
Not only does it give you a large marketplace to buy used pedals, but also to sell them if they don’t work out, or if you are just in the mood for a new flavor. The larger market means more price stability, and less having to “price to sell” your gear at a lower rate when it is time to move on.

9 Likes