Do I need a new Interface? Mixer? Octatrack?!

The fact that you’re considering Ableton Push suggests that a computer is part of your setup, because Push is useless without a computer. So I would suggest a different approach entirely: Add an audio interface to your system with lots of inputs and outputs. I’m partial to the Roland Studio-Capture, which has 16 inputs and 10 outputs (i.e., 8 stereo pairs in, 5 out). If you want something with even more capability, I have heard good things about RME, thought I haven’t used their stuff personally.

Then you can connect your various hardware devices to the audio interface. That lets you record each device on a different track at the same time, use them as if they were send/return effects, route audio between them, and so on.

The Octatrack is a fine sampler, but one thing it does not do is allow you to control a large number of inputs.

1 Like

How bout midi? Have you been clock syncing and/or sequencing? Once you have all the audio flowing you can have them all connected by midi and sequence them from Ableton for example, the midi connections integrate the gear too and make it feel more like one thing if they’re all connected at the same time and can send signals to each other.

I were you, I’d ditch the computer completely.
Like most you’ll probably keep trying to integrate it for a while, but once you loose it completely, you might get inspired by it.

3 Likes

Ditching computer is a way I guess but I wouldn’t be able to do it even though I HATE mouse clicking. I mean lets be real here, workflow is nothing but stellar compared to hardware. If you want to fiddle with music then hardware will do but if you are at least half serious about it you need a decent recording/multitracking setup.
People really don’t realize how much even basic mastering can do to your track. You make it sound good for your setup and then you play it in a car and you get a wall of sound or you can’t even hear half of the stuff.

I recommend Scarlett 18i8 + Octopre. 16 great inputs that go directly to DAW. Zero latency monitoring if needed, very nice audio quality. I got it running with cubase and it is a smooth experience. And best off all it is a relatively inexpensive combo copared to other stuff.

Echoing what has already been said regarding ditching the computer in its entirety and the subsequent increase in inspiration.
My experience with a Push 2 is that it is perversely counter productive because of its endless capabilities - it really is that good. Do you use it as an instrument, mixer, sequencer, FX, DJ, Midi controller? It also requires a computer :unamused:

For me, once I ditched the computer, I really started enjoying jamming and making music again. Now my Ableton Suite is just being used as a multi track recorder with the OT acting as the brain of my midi hardware setup. Buy a little mixer or and audio interface card with an ADAT expansion…

2 Likes
2 Likes

I had the signature 22mtk and sold it. I loved having all of those channels but I didn’t like that there were no insert or aux returns. That required using a channel or two. The sound was very nice but it felt kinda plasticky if you know what I mean. I would have kept it until I found a replacement but it had to go. It’s not very flexible in sound routing for what I was looking for and it took up nearly a whole block in my neighborhood. I won’t discredit the fact it provided me with many channels, i didn’t care for the onboard fx. I think I’m looking for something more like what the Q-PAC offers but I’m going to continue on the hunt until I find something more fitting. Just my opinion on the soundcraft.

1 Like

I don’t expect all to have the same experience, but removing the computer and using the OT as the brain of my set up led to lots of inspiration and making tracks. For a while I cycled through different hardware, mixers, kept trying to re-integrate Live/Laptop, finally settled on a Dark Trinity and a couple extras.
Not only do I still feel inspired, I feel settled, and cohesive.
Anything I add at this point is extremely deliberate, it feels good.
No more getting lost scrolling through Reaktor ensembles, trying Live routings etc.
I’m reduced to using Live just to record 2 stereo outs from my rig.

If I was trying to make some kind of real pristine sounding music, I’d probably get a multi-tracking set up with some high end this and that, and read up on mastering.
However, my favorite songs sound like they were recorded in someones DIY studio with little knowledge of high def techniques, probably lots of guitar pedal processing and other experimental ways.
So I’m totally ok with simply recording my master outs and calling it a day.
It sounds ok in my car, off the web using earbuds, at home on my monitors, or on a lil party speaker.

3 Likes

2nd this. The kmix is versatile and fun

Great philosophy there dude

1 Like

Generally ditching a computer is a good advice for creative work, but not completely. For me the best solution was, to have a hybrid setup, which I can use flexible without and with computer :wink: … always ready to switch to the other side.

I’m leaning towards this solution of the MOTU Mk4 and an Ableton Push. My only qualm is that the push is $800 new for a controller dependent on software.

Also, thanks for all the responses. I’m still pretty conflicted and will ultimately get an Octatrack this year regardless.

Anyone selling a used Push? haha

Octatracks are like Live lite in a box.

1 Like

I’ve just recently picked up an OT, A4, and an AR. It will be a bit before I am ready to record anything. I’ve been an Ableton user for years but, I really want to just get maybe 6+ tracks committed live and dump them into Ableton for final touches. I’m kind of looking at the Focusrite 8Pre, or Motu Ultra-lite…I keep thinking something in the way of a Thunderbolt interface (I have a Mac…might as well use it for what it offers). Then again I am sorely tempted to just get an 8 channel digital recorder like a Tascam DP-32 or a Zoom R-16/R-24. I figure I could just copy files over to my computer from those and just keep the 2 worlds (playing/recording and mixing) separate. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the sound quality of the Zoom or Tascam vs the Focusrite or Motu? I know it sounds like an odd thing but, it.seems like all the time spent just getting rolling (selecting tracks in BOTH the interface software and DAW, trouble shooting, mouse clicking, menu selecting) completely saps inspiration. It’s too easy to get stuck on some weird tangent with a computer if it isn’t communicating correctly with your hardware, or whatever.

it sounds like all you want is to be able to control the stack from a central device, and keep utilizing Ableton. Get a Push 2 and don’t be sad if Push 3 is announced at Loop :smiley: (or get it from a retailer with a 45 day return policy so you can send it back if it is announced LOL).

you’ll need a bigger interface, the Ultralites are good, especially the new ones with ADAT. Once you get something with ADAT you can daisy chain the cheaper older interfaces like MOTU 2408 MK2 and expand even further. I have a MOTU 828 mk3 and a MOTU 2408 MK2 configured as inputs, so 18 total inputs, 10 outputs, and that is more than enough for completely time wasting experiments processing all the things individually. MOTU also has a companion software called Cuemix that allows you to adjust the individual channel gains, apply EQ and Compression which can save some processing power at the computer.

i would recommend the OT only if you were open to moving out of the box more. an octatrack + a midi splitter would let you control all the devices (or daisy chaining midi), but you would need a mixer unless you planned on using the OP-1 and OB6 in mono (which isn’t the worst thing in the world, especially considering most venues are going to put you in mono anyways). the OT is definitely a powerful mixer, limited on inputs, but that doesn’t stop people from creating great music with it.

@W23, I record with a zoom h5 and the MOTU 828 mk3, I don’t hear a difference. I’m also not a paid full time audio engineer, and release my music on cassettes and bandcamp so I doubt there is anything quality wise that would be beneficial.

I have a Push 2, and it’s pretty awesome. I just got an OT, and the other two for a slightly different approach. I have this idea of jamming into Ableton, and then using all the fine VST plugs I’ve bought over the years to polish and mix/master my audio. What I currently lack is a multi-input interface for my Mac. I still have an M-audio Fast Track Pro left over from my Windows using days but, it’s kind lacking, so I’m just kicking ideas around for how to get my dark trinity into the computer. Thanks for the input! Motu still seems to be a preference for many folks around here.

I feel you on this, just didn’t want to derail the topic. I’ve gone back and forth with the computer. Every time I get it almost where I’m productive without losing creativity I get jammed up by some software issue. The latest turn off is a M4L bug called “Clang” that crashes the project and makes it a PITA to reopen. Even if I could get a bug free computer setup going I am one of those people that gets lost in the limitless sea of software. A single kick gets processed through 10 plugins and I’m still not happy (don’t even get me started on those fucking snares!!!)

As far as recording the hardware goes, it just depends on how many tracks you need/want. I really enjoy using the OT as an fx processor and dynamic sampler so I run as much as I can into it. from there, usually I’ll just record into the Zoom (transferring to ableton later) or directly into ableton through the MOTU, then add some final adjustments with sound toys and/or izotope and go.

That’s cool! So you just run 2 tracks out of the OT to the Zoom, then to the computer for Ozone. Sounds like a fine idea!

yeah. ive been thinking about upgrading to the H6 so I can send both the Master L/R and Cue L/R but I’m not sure what that is really going to do for me. limiting myself has been extremely helpful.

when I had the AR and A4 I used to do as much mixing on the individual devices, then run them into the OT and finalize things, and just record the OT master L/R into the zoom or DAW.

I view the OT as multi tracking, If i use a track just for kicks, snares, hats, samples, etc…, each one gets adjusted until it fits the mix. if you run out of tracks, resample, rinse, repeat.

I use http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonepx5/

It functions as both a soundcard and mixer so you can run DAW into it as well as hardware boxes…has decent fx on board plus allows a send fx out…

Also has an insert for master(which im not using as yet).