Direct Monitoring, Interface or Mixer

Hi all, So a few weeks ago i got the Rytm Mk2 which i am really enjoying. I am very new to this hardware world as i have been producing on VST’s for about 15 years.
I have my Rytm connected to my ancient M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard and when I try to record into Cubase 9 I get a minor delay between both clicks of the Rytm and Cubase…especially when i put Cubase in loop.
I tried enabling Direct Monitoring from Cubase but although Rytm does record into my DAW with this option enabled, no sound comes out of my monitors.

Do you think i should ditch out my old M-Audio soundcard and go for a Mixer or Interface?
I would like to do multit-rack recording and I’m planning in getting more Elektron Machines :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance…this forum rocks!

I’ve never used Cubase, so can’t exactly help you there, but if you’re only recording the Rytm without needing to hear what’s going on in the DAW, the best way would be to monitor the sound card inputs directly. If you listen to the DAW output, you’ll always get some latency, though it can be as low as 2-3ms with a good enough computer and the right drivers.

Since it’s an old sound card without physical settings for this kind of stuff, the routing could be possible with a config tool. Something like the M-Audio Delta Control Panel, I believe. Check out this old thread on the M-Audio Forums: http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/_windows_xp_vista_7_ap_2495_signal_flow_diagram

The easier but more expensive way is to get a modern audio interface with a direct monitor output. It could be a good choice if you’re looking for multitrack live recording in the future.