Digitone vs AR

i’m still using the regular power supplies plugged into a Furman power strip. So far the DN and DT audio go into A/B and C/D, then the OT main outs to AH. AH to my mixer.

I’ve got a K-mix, though, that I just got back from KMI’s repair shop that I’ll soon be using with this set up to add a bit of flexibility with regard to routing/computer interfacing.

None of the machines are mounted to the board as of yet. I’m still trying to figure out a solution for the case. The temple audio case looks too cheap, and the website www.bradycases.com hasn’t gotten back to me yet with pricing on my request.

I will just keep using the Furman, and it will live under the board. I’ll definitely be posting to ‘your setups’ when it’s ready to roll.

1 Like

The AK is for the studio for midi and extra tracks.

Do you think the AR sequencer is as quick and easy as the DT?

OK, i See. For the Stage i would leave the BX8 at Home. Too heavy. Get something compact like the Mackie 802 VLZ or even smaller 402.
Nanozwerg and Volca, Blue Sky, Deco can be replaced with the A4 Mk1. That offers audio Inputs to process the 404 and you know the AK already.

So for the stage you have then:
Digitakt
A4 MK1
MS404
Mackie 802/402

Sounds you want from Volca/Nanozwerg you can sample into the Digitakt. Use one Track on the A4 as Drums/Percussion Track. The rest is now Just organizing Well the Sounds, Kits, Projects.

I don’t know the sequencer of the DT, but I have three different Elektron boxes and IMO the sequencers are very similar. All have this “Elektron Way” in their genes. I wouldn’t expect much differences. I would say, similar concepts, similar time to get used to it, similar working speed after the muscle memory has been developed.

I haven’t got the Strymon pedal but have a similar pedal from Eventide. Both deliver acclaimed sound quality, which is way better than an A4 reverb. This said, I wouldn’t suggest to leave the Blue Sky at the studio.

1 Like

But is this necessary for the stage? I also had the Eventide and its one more Box to carry. For live a simpler Setup will streamline the workflow.

I would say yes. I would definitely use it on stage, if the Blue Sky is used as a sound design tool rather than providing some standard reverb or ambience only.

If you switch the TR8 for a RYTM, i guarantee you will miss those volume sliders for your drums. I am literally right now programming a midi controller to do just that for my RYTM.

From your list, it sounds like you need to be downsizing rather than swapping things out. Try doing a set purely on TR8 or DT + AK. If anything, maybe think about an Octatrack as it it can be a mixer/effects/sampler/seq to help wrangle that live setup.

As for DN vs RYTM, if you are going to be using it for drum duties, RYTM hands down, it’s just the beefiest sounding elektron in my opinion. Though I find it’s synth engine quite restrictive sound wise, but with samples you can work around anything. DN is fun as hell though, very fun to tweak, heaps of tonal variety and sweet spots, and their best reverb so far which you can use with line ins.

I’ve owned both (still have the AR2). They are both easy to work with once you grasp the Elektron architecture.

It would be really fun on stage, but at the same time it would feel like a bit of a one trick pony for me. I use the two boxes for stereoizing/shaping my mono boxes in a mix.

1 Like

Hahaha, I think I take the Tr8 for granted sometimes. Thanks for the perspective!

I think that’s my next step. Try to just do a Tr8 + DT live set. I’d be perfect for boogie edits/simpler sample based stuff. I could sample the hell out of the AK too.

2 Likes

Ha man, I don‘t gel with the DN Reverb at all. For me ar reverb ist best, followed by A4 an OT. But hey, different people different tastes.

I using the space for additional reverbs too. But i find it cool to have a delay pedal before to get the pitch effects when tweaking delay time … that into a 20sec reverb … fx heaven :wink:

Btw when i swop tr8 out for the rytm … yeah i missed all the sliders and knobs too …, and i found myself preparing to much on the rytm for live set.

I actually played with this after you mentioned it. Throwing the aux send up and working the pre-delay down makes for some awesome cascading textures.

Wow, weird. RYTM delay and verb are possibly my least favorite. even lower than monomachine (but only there because monomachine gets a delay per channel, so i can use it as part of the sound design, and if you set up a reverb channel it get’s it’s own delay, phaser-y peak eq, distortion, filters, etc that the rest of the channels get.