Digitone playing external synth with midi keyboard issue [confirmed]

Simply triggering a MIDI track internally (e.g pressing trig outside of grid rec) or externally (MIDI keyboard) does not seem to send a MIDI note. Entering trigs in the sequencer does work though. Looks like a bug yeah. Will report this immediately in our bug tracking system.

12 Likes

As I understand, 1.01 did not address this, right?

hmm you try plugging it to the midi through?

Midi Thru works fine. It is Midi Out which does not relay notes as it should.

I noticed this this morning when I tried playing my Modor NF-1m module using Digitone’s Midi tracks and trigs (no external keyboard, just the trigs). I eventually found a configuration that worked, but it was strange compared to other Elektron devices and I wondered if I had things right.

Sequencer trigs worked fine, which let me know the Modor and Digitone were communicating and routed properly (I had the Modor’s audio going into Digitone).

The way I got the Digitone’s trigger keys to play the Modor was:

• Turn off MIDI channels for Digitone’s internal tracks (I usually do this on all my Elektrons as I just want them on their internal sequencer so I can freely use things like channel 1 on my other gear without interference)
  • On MIDI Config - Channels page, I had to set MIDI Track 1 to Channel 1 (the channel I had configured on MIDI Track 1’s SYN1 page, which is what my Modor NF-1m was set to).
  • On MIDI Config - Port Config page, I set Output Ch setting to Trk Ch.
  • On MIDI Config - Port Config page, I set Trig Key Dest setting to INT + EXT.

Then, I could play the Modor NF-1m with the Digitone’s trigger/keyboard.

But this does not seem like the right configuration, compared to how this works on Machinedrum, Monomachine, Octatrack, where the trigger keys on a MIDI track always send to the MIDI track’s destination.

5 Likes

I confirm that I succeed also using DN Keys to play external synth. But not with an external keyboard, as stated. You can see all here : Digitone 1.01 : bug reports

1 Like

Hey Simon, is there a fix for this coming soon?

Wish I’d seen this thread earlier, just spent the whole night changing every midi setting on every piece of gear :sweat_smile:

So at the moment, there’s no way to play in to the midi tracks with an external keyboard or the trig keyboard? Just replaced my Digitakt with a Digitone for sequencing my other gear so hope this gets sorted soon!

3 Likes

Is it possible to “play” a MIDI track via the DN’s MIDI In? I can’t seem to figure it out. Here’s my setup:

Keyboard (sending data on ch 10), plugged into MIDI in on the DN and USB out from the DN plugged into my iPad. Auto channel is set to 10, Trig Key Dest is INT+EXT, and Output To is MIDI+USB.

With this setup, I can switch to an internal track on the DN and play and record sequences with my keyboard or triggers. It all works great. However, active MIDI tracks only output notes and data from the sequence or the trigger buttons. There’s no way for me to play my iPad synths using my keyboard. I can record sequences with the keyboard, but I can’t actually hear what I’m doing while I’m recording unless I use the triggers. I’ve tried switching my keyboard to use the same channel as the MIDI track, but that doesn’t work either.

Has anybody had any luck with a configuration that lets you send MIDI In to MIDI Out? I would expect any MIDI input on the auto channel to be sent out on an active MIDI track, or an option to enable this behavior. This peculiarity cripples the DN as a sequencer of external instruments for my use :frowning:

1 Like

That’s how it should work, but the midi tracks are currently broken… that’s what this thread is about :grin:

Elektron said they are working on it, but fixing the clicks and pops are the priority for now.

Hope it gets sorted soon as the midi tracks are unuseable for me, have to use the internal sequencers on all my other gear.

Yea I sold my Digitone for now. The main designation was to be synth + sequencer for other gear. But as I cannot play midi gear using ext midi keyboard, it can only be used as synth in my setup. So price tag seems a bit too high for “just FM synth” and I may repurchase it once they fix bugs.

1 Like

What a sad and bad joke this is. I can’t believe this is even an issue. No wonder they can’t keep more ambitious software release deadlines. They can’t even do something as fundamentally simple as this!

1 Like

You probably saw ad that they were looking for software developers. Every new hire tend to break code and need some time for adaptation. Elektron is clearly starving on development man power with all these new products they design. I hope they will work it out. Also, younger engineers tend to write code fast but always forget about quality. I was the same 15 years ago. Nowadays I spend more time to test my code, comparing to the time to compose it. So all my products have supreme quality and no bugs… When it comes to Elektron devices, my Octatrack/Digitakt still work fine so I am good :slight_smile:

lmao, I just wasted 2 hours trying to get this to work :confused:
My Digitone (1.01) doesn’t send any midi at all. Neither with keyboard nor with trig keys. Not using Midi out or Midi Thru. So in essence the Digitone is not a sequencer for external synths at this point. My Digitakt however works perfectly in this respect, thank christ.

This has been addressed in the 1.02 update from today, so excited!

2 Likes

Phew!! Mine is in the mail and after coming across this thread I was a little worried. 20 hours ago.
Now we just need that overbridge release and we’re golden.

This is kind’ve related but I didn’t want to start a new thread…

I’m having this issue where… sending midi to Ableton… if i play the chromatic keyboard on the Dtone… i just get kind’ve cutoff notes… But if the sequencer is playing… all well and good… but if the sequencer is stopped… no good… seems to cut off my playing… i just get little clicks

any ideas? is this a known issue? is there a setting for this somewhere?

Hmm. It appears to be related to the EXT setting in Ableton. I’ve sent a bug report

1 Like

Any update on this? I am unable to record my keyboard midi notes to sequence my peak from DN. Neither I can play notes on DN controlling Peak and record notes to DN and then have Peak from MIDI notes…Ia m on 1.20

It was addressed in v1.02.

What are your MIDI settings?

I do have track to 1,2,3,4 and Midi to 1,2,3,4 using Auto Channel. On Midi track 1 I do have Peak and I can hear it when I play it on my KeyStep connected to DN, bnit nothing is recorded to a Midi track on DN, neither I can hear Peak playing DN keyboard or record MIDI notes to the DN sequencer. Like all the notes from KS play thru and are not noticed.