Digitone Fill Mode

Can someone please explain to me in plain speak what fill mode does? Even better, does anyone have an audio or video example? I’m seriously debating buying a digitone and every bit of functionality weighs on the decision. I get that this creates ‘temporary variation,’ but does this work like the re-trig function on the Octatrack? Is this a ratcheting effect?

I have no way of demo’ing one – there aren’t any shops near me that carry Elektron gear.

As per the manual about fill mode:

10.10.4 FILL MODE
FILL mode can be used to create a temporary variation, such as a drum fill, in your pattern.
Press [YES] + [PAGE] to cue FILL mode for one pattern cycle. All LEDs starts to
flash. FILL mode becomes active (All LEDs turns on) when the pattern loops, and
remain active until it loops again. You can also press and hold the [PAGE] key when the pattern is playing
(GRID RECORDING mode cannot be active) to activate FILL mode at any time, and for any duration. The
FILL mode is active for as long as you hold the [PAGE] key.
Press and hold [PAGE] + [YES], and then release [PAGE] before you release [YES] to latch FILL mode.
Press [PAGE] again to unlatch FILL mode.

THANKS!

1 Like

One of the trig conditions you can assign to a given step is “fill”. Any steps with this condition set will only be heard when the Page/Fill button is held down. This is useful for adding pattern variations that only play when you want without having to change pattern, for example a snare roll you can trigger at any time (which you’d achieve by filling the empty space on your snare track with “fill” condition hits). There is also a “not fill” condition if you want to exclude given steps when fill is held down.

It’s a great feature for adding little flourishes or bits of variety!

4 Likes

That makes perfect sense – thanks for the clear explanation!

So I gather that the digitone cannot ratchet a trig like the re-trig function on the Octatrack?

Elektron tends to keep retrig to the drum machines. The synth based a4, mnm, and dn are all missing proper retrig

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate to hear because the Digitone makes for one helluva awesome sounding drum machine

1 Like

Yeah no retrig which is a shame!

There’s a trick where you can soundlock a sound on the digitone with an arp and it functions similar to retrig, there’s a thread on the forum talking about it.

1 Like

Say i have a bass part playing on track 2, and i want to create a variation of it for a fill so i can use the fill button, how do i do that?

Cant work this out!

Thanks

In Step Record Mode, activate the Trig Page, hold a Trig, and turn the COND parameter

1 Like

I use it all the time to add/subtract triggers on a given track. On the video below below I use it to add and remove just the the bass drum triggers without having to turn off the whole track (I have other sounds running on the same track).

But you can also use it to program different notes that will only be triggered the fill button (page) is pressed and others that will not play if the button is pressed, it’s a nice way to add melodic variations.

2 Likes

Fill mode doesn’t work any longer for me since 1.21 update! Anyone else?

Welcome. Works for me with last update.
Edit : I’m on 1.21 and I received DN with it.

2 Likes

mh, that’s sad, won’t work for me…

Did you test Grid Recording off?

1 Like

First I have to find out where I can turn it on or off :smiley:

It works, have you tried using it in a fresh project to eliminate all variables you may have introduced? Always the first step…

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll try it. It would be nice to know what’s the matter in this project. I am a little overwhelmed, I am new to all this. Just came here from the youtube tutorials to get more insider information :wink:

1 Like

You’re good, you’ll figure it out, try that and post results.

1 Like

Press [RECORD] to enter GRID RECORDING mode. The [RECORD] key lights up red to indicate that GRID RECORDING mode is active.

1 Like

Ah thanks, will try it tomorrow and get back here!