Digitone 1.01 : bug reports

This is exactly how octatrack works, I control Radias and other stuff like this ! But I can’t do the same on DN. :thinking:

Mmm, weird. I was indeed describing OT behavior, I have absolutely no idea how it works on DN, but from the manual it seems pretty close to OT behavior

[p.62] AUTO CHANNEL selects the MIDI channel that gives access to the currently active track. If an exter- nal MIDI keyboard connected to Digitone sends MIDI data on this channel, the keyboard controls the active track. This function is useful when you want to change quickly between the active synth tracks to play di erent sounds. The Digitone also uses the AUTO channel to record to the MIDI tracks from external MIDI controllers.

What do you mean exactly ? Would you mind taking a picture of this ?

Yeah, I find it weird, I have MnM, Octa, and this is the first machine where it doesn’t work. DT also have a strange midi routing, you can not pass thru to external channel, you have to use autochannel, which is really not handy in live situation.

To complete the DN midi issue, here are image of System / Midi Config / Channels :

During my testing, I found an other feature/stuff : when selecting sound (double tap track) into the pool, you have to put your external keyboard on autochannel, otherwise it only work with the DN keys.

And I will launch a ticket, cause I found other bugs with fnct+syn menu (I succeed to repeat it, but I don’t understand, TRIG button appears violet sometimes) :

"MIDI 4 CHANNEL -> 8" means if you set your external keyboard to 8, you should access directly the MIDI track #4, without having to set the focus on it. Same as OT.
If you have a Keystep for instance, you can easily switch midi channels so it’s more convenient than accessing DN MIDI auto channel that prevent you to tweak the box while playing notes.

This is exactly what I’m doing but it’s clearly NOT working ! My midi tracks are set like this :
-> Into Midi config/Channels
Midi 1 channel 5
Midi 2 channel 6
Midi 3 channel 7
Midi 4 channel 8
Autochannel = 10
-> On each midi track, inside [SYN1] page (function+push encoder to activate), exactly the same :
Midi 1 = 5
Midi 2 = 6
Midi 3 = 7
Midi 4 = 8

I can fast changing the midi channel on my external keyboard (Roland A49), this is what I am doing with OT. So with channel 5,6,7,8 or 10, I can not play external synth ! I can access each individual sound on 1,2,3,4 and 10 (with internal track selected).

Even stranger : when you have into Midi config/Channels : Midi 1 channel = 5 and into midi 1 track [syn] page channel 6, the sequencer play that channel 6 when the DN key play 5, it quite a mess and it means you can not have different channel selection between different pattern …

1 Like

Yeah, the MIDI / Trig Key behavior on Digitone just seems wrong compared to Machinedrum, Monomachine, and Octotrack, where the MIDI track’s MIDI channel is all that is needed to direct the output from the trig keys. I reported this on another thread, but thought I’d mention it here. I’m not trying to use an external keyboard (I’m not a keyboard player), but just the trig keys on the MIDI track. I can sequence from the MIDI track without all of these hoops, but to use the trig keys (and thus get the Digitone’s ‘Track note’ scale and chord config stuff in place which I really like) I had to go through this:

The heart of it was this:

The way I got the Digitone’s trigger keys to play the Modor NF-1m I had connected was:

• Turn off MIDI channels for Digitone’s internal tracks (I usually do this on all my Elektrons as I just want them on their internal sequencer so I can freely use things like channel 1 on my other gear without interference)
  • On MIDI Config - Channels page, I had to set MIDI Track 1 to Channel 1 (the channel I had configured on MIDI Track 1’s SYN1 page, which is what my Modor NF-1m was set to).
  • On MIDI Config - Port Config page, I set Output Ch setting to Trk Ch.
  • On MIDI Config - Port Config page, I set Trig Key Dest setting to INT + EXT.

Then, I could play the Modor NF-1m with the Digitone’s trigger/keyboard.

3 Likes

Interesting.
It smells like an anomaly.
Have you guys reported it already ?

I’ve reported it only in these two posts. I kindof wanted confirmation that this felt wrong. I’ll submit it as a ticket.

Update: ticket submitted (20804) as “Digitone’s Trig keys should follow and talk to a MIDI track’s channel setting by…” (should be “by default” but I think my title ran a little long).

3 Likes

Thank’s @jshell for confirmation !

Thank’s @LyingDalai, I will make a ticket for the no midi signal transmitted from an external keyboard to an external synth, and also some small stuff like the LED colors on page menu.

1 Like

reported as a bug, was rejected. bit i still think its a bad implementation

sometimes the unit states, “dsp error” on startup and has to be restarted. anyone has that too?

1 Like

Yes I do. On my Blofeld :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t this only the embed Blofeld detector for poor synthesis choices ?
:wink:

3 Likes

Nope… Blofeld has poor synthesis choices embedded already. It’s called “randomize sound” :smiley:

5 Likes

Sure thing ! I do not understand why it should be that way…Does analog heat clicks when switching from active to bypass ? No !

Really… MIDI has been around for how long? MIDI USB has also been around for a while. Elektron is not the only one apparently unable to get MIDI stuff to work properly. Issues with MIDI and USB MIDI are very common even today. I don’t get it, this is a really simple tech. We have multichannel digital audio streaming over USB/ Firewire/Thunderbolt but for some reason MIDI is still a problem. :disappointed_relieved:

Just received response from Elektron that they are aware of the pattern sync issue and it will be fixed in the next update!

6 Likes

That’s great. Though I’m blown away by the amount of indifference on this board concerning correcting this behavior so color me impressed Elektron is doing something about it.

1 Like

This bodes well for the same issue being fixed in the Digitakt as well :slight_smile:
I also couldn’t see the benefits of the current functionality so I’m happy it’s getting fixed.

Also getting small clicks/pop on inputs running 1.01.