Digitakt -vs- Rytm Mk2

1 beer on me. Pm your paypal.

1 Like

I would not trade my AR for a DT. The synthesis section is so powerful, alone with the noise generator and the analog filter you can build amazing percussion and hihat sounds. Single cycle waveforms that get a little overdrive bite in the filter can transform the AR into a synthesizer. I find the possibilities endless and would not miss trade that for “only” a sampler. My idea: get a mk1 AR and put a digitakt next to it for midi sequencing and more sampling options. They look cool next to each other (theses times are over with the new “design”).

2 Likes

Don’t forget to put the original piece of plastic wrap paper between device and protective lid each time otherwise at some point the paint [ MAY ] start to disappear :wink: That’s what i have done since day one on my Elektron Device (the black one) and mine is in perfect cosmetic condition. I have friends here where paint starting to disappear and i’ve warned them… they didn’t listened and now regret to haven’t.

NB : you can cut another piece of plastic (or other material) to make things faster rather to put the gear in the plastic then put the LID protective. Just a square of plastic to protect the gear edges is sufficient.

1 Like

where did they mentioned this? i asked them the same question via Mail already because i was assuming that the Rytm will get the Sampling Capability from the DT and not more! so far however: they have not replied!

So - where do you got this information from?

1 Like

This is way above my head, but I’ll take your word for it : )

I mean, even if Elektron did add the whole Digitakt sampling engine to the RYTM MKII, the Digitakt still has MIDI sequencing of external devices where the RYTM doesn’t and won’t (?)–and that is and will be huge for a lot of people.

1 Like

@umonox . Jon replied that in the thread : introducing-analog-four-analog-rytm-mkii

4 Likes

thank you @William_WiLD my friend :wink: Im still waiting for a reply from them. Got some other questions too. But i almost assume that they keep silence on these topics :smiley:

1 Like

I wonder if the Rytm mk2 sampling will be mono or stereo :ghost:

You can also dull the inner edge of the plastic lip that rests on/around the top/sides of the Digitakt. I ran a piece of wood/paper along the edge, effectively dulling/smoothing the rough inner edge.

I use a couple of heavy duty rubber bands to keep the lid in place for travel… it’s kind of lame that Elektron doesn’t include a strap or anything to keep the lid fastened to the Digitakt.

It’s absurd that you have to use an extra layer (plastic bag etc.) to protect the Digitakt from the “protective” lid.

3 Likes

I guess the protective LID is more there to protect knobs, buttons, screen for travel (shock, friction…) etc… But yeah with time factor i think at first it probably make the paint to fade out on the edges and i kind of adjoin another layer of protection a more cosmetic one. Anyway… think it worth it at the end

Yea, they definitely could have thought the whole protective cover thing through better🤔

Protective Cover Mk II :thinking:

6 Likes

I wonder if everybody using those lids have chipping paint or that the powder coating was done badly on some units. If I were to buy a brand new Elektron machine + Elektron lid and the lid damages my machine’s paint I would claim it as warranty.

Personally the price is way too high for a piece of plastic and I bought a small flight case instead. It’s cheaper and provides better protection than the PL-2s and can double as stand too :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is a super interesting topic.

I’m thinking about selling my Rytm and Octatrack to get the Rytm MkII. Reasons:

• I love the workflow on the Rytm, but I just wish it had sampling.
  • I almost never use timestretching on the OT
  • I don’t care about stereo
  • I can do great midi sequencing from the monomachine

The counter-arguments:

• Slices are awesome
  • Scenes/crossfader is awesome
  • I haven’t had the OT for that long and don’t feel like I’ve really explored it fully yet

The digitakt just doesn’t appeal to me in the same way.

4 Likes

@digiras

Fuuuuuuuuuck! Some idiot smashed the window out of my car yesterday and jacked my iPad pro, Zoom Q2n, new CremeCaffe stand, and some money in the same bag.

I feel your pain now. Luckily the idiot was super stooopid and didn’t see the digitakt sitting right under it! or any of the other gear in the car.

Damn, Thats Fucked-Up!! Muthafunkaz won’t let you have Shit nowadays… Or has it always been So​:thinking: Hoping for a Better Tomorrow 4U​:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::blue_heart:

2 Likes

Should I wait for the new Analog Rytm MKII or get a Digitakt? What are the pros and cons of each drum machine?

Digtakt is a sampler/sequencer, RYTM is a synthesizer/sampler/sequencer with advanced features. the RYTM MKII is more than twice the price–1549 USD vs. 679 USD

The Digitakt is easy/portable, the RYTM mk II is less so. Do you want to make music now?

Check out the “Highlights” of each:

Personally I am learning toward a Digitakt plus the new Octatrack MKII when it comes out rather than buying just the Rytm MKII. I can hookup the Digitakt to the Octatrack for sequencing and sampling recording purposes and add in my Microkorg synth. That would replace my laptop for live gigs.

1 Like

I had a Digitakt, but it permanently froze so it got returned. I thought it sounded great though. Instead of getting a replacement DT, I just preordered a Rytm MKII. All the updates on it and the individual outs sold me on it. Being able to run drums plus a bassline off of the same machine was a big plus for me.

4 Likes