Digitakt to Octatrack upgrade: Cons?

But I will certainly agree with @psyclone001 on the sometimes poor sounding timestretch, we have been moaning about it since mkI beta days :smile:

Reverbs are somewhat grainy, but I think they were going for an 80’s lo-fi feel, I find them quite useable, but not as lush as DT verb, OT has much better delay though, and some useful eq, great sounding filter etc.

1 Like
  • 13 Solo is CUE + TRiG
  • 14 No NRPN
  • 15 Good midi implementation for record and most parameters
  • 16 TRC seem the same, for midi too. FILL button combination is 2 hands
  • 17 I don’t believe in huge updates.

Sorry @ryan or others for what you already answered but hard to read questions / your answers. :wink:

2 Likes

OT cons vs DT : it isn’t mono ! :smile:

You didn’t mentioned the HUGE power of the crossfader, up to 240 parameters assigned to scene A and scene B.

2 Likes

OT has midi cc learn too, making cc setup super quick.

• Slice mode, quantised trigs, 1 shot, plays free, trig modes, song mode with tons of flexibility, freeze delay.
1 Like

Yeah especially slices !

And statics too :slight_smile:

3 LFO’s + designer, thru machines.

What’s a Digitakt? :thinking:
:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I’m not a mathematician but my calculations are the DT is 1/2 the price of an OT MKII, with 1/3rd the capabilities but gets you to certain, common places in 1/2 the time, and the physical case is 2/3rd the size.

And like baby bear’s porridge, it’s juuuussst right for so many people.

But on a serious note…
For me, until OB for DT is released, the lone stereo out on that DT is a limitation too big.
4 outs on the OT are just what I need to get by. Kick on one mono Left main out. Snare/clap on the Right, and everything else stereo out the cue lets me mix good enough after recording into my DAW.

4 Likes

I understood this part but the rest I still have no idea what your talking about…
:speak_no_evil::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Having both, I recommend getting both. Whipping up beats with relatively more-static samples to go underneath your OT fuckery is so much more immediate on the DT. Digitakt is a totally unbelievably brilliant drum machine; OT is some kind of dada sound-dismantling nightmare. They are like peanut butter and jelly together.

6 Likes

While that’s the easy answer, it’s not within my budget to have both.

@everyone: thanks for the replies!

2 Likes

No need to talk about the OT’s strengths, I’ve been drooling over Youtube demos for years! Scenes are brilliant, and I’m looking forward to getting to sample and mangle my guitar/synths on the fly.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much how I’m thinking I’d set it up. And then possibly add a mixer and a reverb pedal in its FX send, and I’m set!
The only thing I think I might end up regretting the swap for is that Midi note overlap thing. I’d have to have a go at that CC sustain thing to see if I can live with it, but I don’t know anyone who (still) has an OT.

1 Like

As Ot can play what it records instantly, inputs can be mangled while playing. Add a midi foot controller to control crossfader, and you get a magic fx box.

2 Likes

The easiest way to describe the difference is that the Octatrack is a Sunday Roast, while the Digitakt seems more like a picnic (although I don’t own a Digitakt I have been on my fair share of picnics)

1 Like

Gah, silly me, I read it wrong and thought it was a workaround for the lack of MIDI arp/retrig. Thanks anyway!

Elektron should do a loopstation like the RC505, but better. :wink:

The only reason I don’t have a RC505 is that I am waiting for better!

An OctaLoop. Multi in/outs of course, few but hi quality effects all the rest can be added by personal processing.

2 Likes

That’s also why I sold it 1.5 years ago, wanting to concentrate on OT. Nothing better for me today as a looper with direct quantized recording.
I received an RC202, today, almost same form factor as AH/DT/DN.
Elektron, please make us a real 8 track looper with all RC505 options and more, better quality.

Something between OT and Rc505 with AH form factor.

4 Likes

What do you mean by this?

If you press rec with QREC too late, you’ll wait next quantized point.
With some loopers (I mainly used RC series) if you press on time, a bit late, it records / stops anyway. I guess there is always an always recording buffer if you miss the quantized timing.

1 Like