Digitakt to Octatrack upgrade: Cons?

Pretty sure it’s recorded, I can’t test aftertouch, but I cant see any reason it wouldn’t.

1 Like

Sound quality I would think.
Digitakt has newer components and software driving it

1. Fade in / out are not well implemented. You can still use it as a looper with overdub, no undo. A midi looper can be a good companion anyway. I think I’ll take an RC505 again, and use OT to record its mixes easily.
1 Like

Post too long. Did not read.

6 Likes

Can you share what’s that workaround? Thanks!

Sure, it’s the third post in this thread: Overlapping MIDI notes
@LBWG I’ve hidden some real nuggets of wisdom in there, your loss.
@sezare56 Thanks for checking! You’d think that’d be a no-brainer, right? Not to the DT!
Good to know about the looping, too. I think I might have to find someone with an Octa in Antwerp and see if it’s a dealbreaker for me.
@psyclone001 I find ‘sound quality’ is a real corksniffer’s mantra in most cases of digital instruments. Ofcourse decent A/D’s is important, as is headroom, but have you had issues with the OT’s ‘sound quality’ that you can describe in more detail than that?

DT reverb = lovely.
OT reverb = not so much.

3 Likes

I’ve heard great things about the Dark Reverb though, but I take it you’re not on board?

I don’t own either anymore but the reverb was one of the things I loved about the DT and equally I was never enamoured with the OT dark reverb.

1 Like

Those informations can be recorded with the trigs, it won’t be continuous.
You need a linear sequencer for that.
6.Not particulary clicky when you play another note.
7. OT bank setting : CC0, not CC32. Check other gear manuals.
8. Already asked /answered
9. Rec Setup 1 > Fn+Bank > Save this Recording (or All recordings) > name > yes
10. Routing is per PART (kits) with MAIN and CUE LEVELS, PAN , and per project for CUE behavior, T8 as Master.

1 Like

Just joking. I read it all as I’m teetering on the brink of getting an Octatrack too. I loved the DT but felt like it fell down due to a lack of eq, compression and song mode. The midi was well twitchy too.

3 Likes

Sure.
The time shifting and pitch shifting algos are showing their age. It gets too grainy with too many artifacts too fast.
The effects are showing their age. Reverbs are terrible and should have at least been upgraded to the newer units quality.
No digital output like the DT when Overbridge is released, and no upgrade to the D/A of OT means you have a layer of unnecessary conversation with D/A converters not at the same quality as the DT.
The screen although upgraded still has smaller and harder to read graphics than the newer designed machines.
Just a few off the top of my head, and all my own opinion of course, so take it with a grain of salt :joy:

2 Likes

I think the OT sounds better personally but we are not talking a huge difference in actual quality, I think a lot of people struggle to get good results with Octatrack because it does not have very good input level monitoring, why oh why Elektron didn’t use the LCD to display a simple meter is beyond me, it has certainly been requested as a feature multiple times.

But I will certainly agree with @psyclone001 on the sometimes poor sounding timestretch, we have been moaning about it since mkI beta days :smile:

Reverbs are somewhat grainy, but I think they were going for an 80’s lo-fi feel, I find them quite useable, but not as lush as DT verb, OT has much better delay though, and some useful eq, great sounding filter etc.

1 Like
  • 13 Solo is CUE + TRiG
  • 14 No NRPN
  • 15 Good midi implementation for record and most parameters
  • 16 TRC seem the same, for midi too. FILL button combination is 2 hands
  • 17 I don’t believe in huge updates.

Sorry @ryan or others for what you already answered but hard to read questions / your answers. :wink:

2 Likes

OT cons vs DT : it isn’t mono ! :smile:

You didn’t mentioned the HUGE power of the crossfader, up to 240 parameters assigned to scene A and scene B.

2 Likes

OT has midi cc learn too, making cc setup super quick.

• Slice mode, quantised trigs, 1 shot, plays free, trig modes, song mode with tons of flexibility, freeze delay.
1 Like

Yeah especially slices !

And statics too :slight_smile:

3 LFO’s + designer, thru machines.

What’s a Digitakt? :thinking:
:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes