Digitakt + iPad: MIDI sidechain idea

hi everyone! I’m working on a portable setup around Digitakt and iPad
DT’s audio would go into iPad, where I’ll use AUM mixer to filter (LPF/HPF), possibly FX, also also looping for transitions (going into Loopy HD), and finally sequencing some iPad synths (not sure wich, probably Troublemaker, DRC and Mood…)

one other thing I thought of is sending all the synth channels to a bus, then applying some sidechain to it… alhtough using audio for SC might work, it would be great to have the kick isolated… and then I thought of this: maybe I can recieve DT’s MIDI for track 1 (kick), recieve it on the most lightweight drum machine possible, then have that track as sidechain source for my synths… obviously with the audio from that app muted.

I’m not sure wich could be that app though. any ideas?

EDIT: apparently I can’t trigger the sidechain with the audio track… that kinda sucks, although I can use a MIDI track with the same steps for that. Tried it with Seekbeats, it works… wondering if I Ruismaker is lighter/better for the task, or maybe I should just settle for what I already have… after all, Seekbeats was one of the few apps that run on my old iPhone 4S…

I think audio damage make a basic side chain app , geared around 4/4 beats.
Perforator can also send midi cc based on the steps you setup
There are various envelope followers that might help though. I can remember doing sidechain on aum myself.

Maybe just match the track1 pattern ( if it’s your bass drum ) into track A midi, if it’s on one device it’s a little easier to deal with.

Try videos from the sound test room etc , I’m sure I’ve seen it covered.

And you can route midi cc from digitakt to control any parameter you might want in aum , very powerful combo.

I ended up using the second method
DT MIDI track with the same steps > iPad > Seekbeats > AUFX:Push Key Input > (no audio output)
seems to work :slight_smile:
I might have to tweak it a bit but it’s good for now… and I’m also considering sequencing as least as possible, so I can focus on the Digitakt

1 Like