Digitakt as drum machine with OT mk2: worth it?

I have an OT and DT. Love it and they work very well together, I think :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any drum machine with OT is worth it in my experience. I have got good results from Korg Electribes, Elektron Analog Rytm, Roland TR-09 and Roland TR-8S. The 8S is by far my favourite.

2 Likes

Do it. The workflow of the DT is incredibly complementary to the OT.

That being said, I was thoroughly impressed with the output of the OT/MD

3 Likes

I agree, do it. I briefly had this combo until I turned into an idiot and sold the dt (it will be back). It’s really hard to pair the ot with anything and it not be a winning team but the fast workflow of the dt with all of the advanced features of the ot are incredibly rewarding.

1 Like

nah… the money is better spent elsewhere.

with creative use of parts… and sample locks. the OT can handle everything.

i bought a digitakt and quickly sent it back. its faster, more efficient and tidier all on the one machine

2 Likes

One reason to get a Digitakt, in my opinion, is if the Octatrack just doesn’t make sense to you yet.

I’ve had my OT for a couple years. I’ve been distracted by many life events but the fact is that I never moved past the basics. It just never made enough sense to even approach becoming natural. I considered selling it and, instead, have opted to purchase an Analog RYTM to replace my broken EMX. Silly answer on the face of it but I figure I have a solid chance of becoming comfortable with Elektronese if I take sampling out of the equation for a little bit.

That said… you can technically do enough on the OT to make the DT unnecessary.

When I first got into Elektron gear, I considered the Digitakt the “entry-level version” of the OT. But in terms of feature sets, the Digitakt and the OT have more differences than they have similarities. To me the OT is primarily a sampler and sample mangler. The Digitakt is primarily a sample based drum machine - emphasis on drum machine. So later I came to consider the Digitakt as related to the RYTM rather than OT. This makes a lot more sense to me as both are focussed on drum duties (even though more can be done with both).

So the question I’d ask first is: Do you need a drum machine? If so, the Digitakt is a great option if you are cool with sample based drums.

If you don’t need a drum machine (because other equipment/OT handles your drums for you) then you don’t need a Digitakt.

You can then of course also go into the (additional) midi tracks as an argument for a Digitakt, but if that’s the functionality you are looking for, there are better/more capable alternatives out there.

I personally own a Digitakt (and love it!) and I use it for one-shot samples primarily. I intend to add an Octatrack for melodic and harmonic content, playback of loops, as well as real-time FX processing of voice and samples/loops. So to me that combo is very powerful, but then I also have a purpose for each machine in my music/musical process.

3 Likes

Totally. RYTM engine base, hence mono.
Mono make sense for RYTM, not DT.
If you compare RYTM and DT page parameters, it is obvious.

Agreed…mono sampling makes more sense on the RTYM than the DT, but I still love doing stuff on the DT a whole lot. You can get a more stereo thing going out of the DT. Since getting the OT, I do tend to relegate the DT more to drums though.
I don’t mind the slight overlap between most Elektron machines, because any of em have more tricks and features than titles like ‘drum machine,’ ‘sampler,’ or ‘synth’ might suggest.