Digitakt + A4 + Keystep

Hello

What is the best way to connect my digitakt + Analog 4 + Keystep to have the keystep able to control the 16 channels of the digitakt

I think i prefer the digitak to be master and the analog 4 slave and set the 4 voices of the A4 on midi channels 9 to 12 of digitakt.
So i Changed the midi channels TRk1 to TRk4 of my A4 and set tehm as follow

Analog four is set as slave
trk1 midi channel 9
trk2 midi channel 10
trk3 midi channel 11
trk5 midi channel 12

Digitakt set as master
midi a channel 9
midi b channel 10
midi c channel 11
midi d channel 12

My midi cables are setup like this
Arturia midi out --> Digitakt midi IN
Digitakt midi out --> Analog 4 midi in

now with my keystep channel 1 to 8 trigger well the samples from 1 to 8 od digitakt
but channel 8 to 12 do not trigger the 4 channels of the analog 4 when i use the keystep. it is only working when i push midi a to d knobs on digitakt.

Any idea what i did wrong ??

Digitakt midi THRU --> Analog 4 midi in

Fixed above. Use the midi THRU instead of OUT.

1 Like

If you go with thru port you loose the sync from digitakt

1 Like

Digitakt midi THRU --> Analog 4 midi in
Digitakt Midi Out --> Midi merge Box --> A4 Midi in

That should fix the sync issue.

Also have a read here:

2 Likes

Thanks for the information !

I also have an A4/DT/Keystep and I only want to control the A4 with the Keystep. DT is master. From what I understand, it’s not possible without a MIDI merge box, right? If that’s the case, I think I’ll use A4 as master, see how that works.

I can’t test right now, maybe something like this would work?

DT midi out to Keystep midi in
Keystep midi out to A4 midi in

Or am I losing sync with this configuration?

Anyone knows?

Hi, this should work. I think I had AR to Keystep to A4 connected at some point in the past. In the keystep software editor there should be an option for midi(sync) passthru or similar… just try it, its only plugging some midi cables :wink:

1 Like

At some point, a MIDI hub becomes handy.
My favorite is Mio4. It really simplifies things, especially when you add new pieces to an already complex setting.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try this later!

It sure does simplify things. I guess I’ll have to add one at some point.

The Mio4 looks interesting, I believe that there are even more simple and cheap hubs, can’t remember what brand they are though.

Edit: I think something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Solutions-Quadra-4-Output-Thru/dp/B0002GH8X4

Oh, and also make sure, that the little dip switches at the back of keystep are set to midi sync…

1 Like