Cubase 10

Just released today. I’ll be upgrading this week.

-The new channel strip looks way nicer. Hopefully it sounds as nice as it looks.

-groove agent 5 SE looks good too. Finally I can full screen groove agent on the 5k screen. Groove agent is combining battery 4 with a session drummer who stops drumming when you need them to.

-mixconsole snapshots. This is really good especially if you always have your sessions uniform each way.

-MPE support!

I’ll give a more detailed review over the weekend.

2 Likes

Great short feature here: http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2018/11/14/Cubase-10-update.html

Its one step closer to looking and acting a lot like Studio One (which I like), even has the make a picture of the VST option and drag and drop in…plus ARA is coming to Cubase so melodyne integration!!

1 Like

Thanks for this link man. I’m shocked that steinberg did not mention the chord pad improvements on their site.

Chord pad is not a band in a box track. Think of it as a session player at your disposal. I recently learned that I can link my MPD232 pads to chords and make progressions with ease.

I’m looking for a daw to keep next to ableton, more dedicated to mixing/recording. I tried pro tools but I dont like their pricing policy.
I see that many people lean towards studio one 4 at the moment. Either that or cubase then. It seems like studio one is bringing some fresh air in this market. What do you think ?

I do most of my performance / creation in live/Maschine / MPC and I just bounce the stems to cubase 9.5 pro.

I picked cubase because

1. Metering is really good. After reading Eddie Bazil’s mixbus strategies book I gave the metering a shot and it’s very accurate in knowing how much headroom you have to play with.
  2. VCA groups in mixconsole are good.
  3. Channel Strip stock plugins sound good on mix sessions.
  4. Console 1 integration.
  5. Chord Pad is fun to play with when you don’t know where to start.

The only con is the having to use a dongle. I have gotten over it though.

Honestly, download the demos for both of them and try them yourself is the best answer / advice.

I got a demo licence (aka the free edition) for PreSonus the other day; but haven’t downloaded it yet. Not sure if I will at all.

I’m a Cubase boy; too many old projects / too much muscle memory. I hated Logic; hate Ableton’s midi editing; wasn’t gelling with Reaper… so kind of stuck :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought and downloaded this morning ($99US upgrade from 9.5 for me).
AAF integration is great - you can get a project from Avid and use it in Cubase. There’s so many video options too - including VR, surround sound and all that. The video engine was a big change in Pro 9, I’m hoping they got that and the graphics stuff sorted in Pro 10.

FYI I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet and it’s a 22gb download - that’s heavy for something that isn’t a game.

1 Like

Whatever DAW I’m using I instinctively hit “0, 1, ENTER” in sequence on the numpad to play a timeline down and make a face when I realize I’m not in Cubase out of habit.

Still no ability to download without all the Halion / Sample stuff? No interest / never use them.

Even the Cubase 9.5 Elements demo was 6gb…

:smiley:

I, well, I used to at least;, had everything mapped out via key commands and macros; so would work fast / instinctively.

2 Likes

I have played with the update for a few hours tonight. It’s pretty disappointing and looks a dogs dinner on Windows 10 in HiDPI (stein berg have even published a note on it saying it isn’t working yet!) …definitely a skipable update…its a work in progress money grab.

I still much prefer Studio One, Cubase looks realy dated, mixed font sizes and types, several different types of Windows, convoluted workflow (even though 10 adds drag and drop) it still seems to be just playing catch up with modern DAWs and is probably suffering from so much legacy code. It’s cluttered and often takes a lot of clicking around to get things done, but then they never drop anything (just keep adding) and even with the new contex sensative menus there seems to be just too much clutter.

1 Like

That is fantastic! I thought I was the only one. And I stopped using Cubase eight years ago.

Ok SLiC I feel your pain with the GUI. Looks great full screen but text areas and some buttons should also scale up. This issue is also happening on an apple 5K display.

The channel strip visuals look a lot better and chord pad is more intuitive. So far I still like it.

I found some odd behavior with plugin effects yesterday while I was testing some things and bored at work. I was loading and unloading plugins and it seemed randomly a plugin would be loaded in the insert strip via the mixer screen and nothing would happen. The window for the plugin wouldn’t appear and removing/adding that particular plugin again wouldn’t do change that. It was happening for 3rd party plugins and for Steinberg plugins. Adding the same plugin to a neighboring channel worked just fine.

Morning. That was happening to me too when I was swapping between VSTis and messing with channel strip. OSX High siera. I could remember Steinberg acknowledging this is a bug on Steinberg assistant and that they are working on it. That or the Steinberg forums.

I was going to post this on the forums but I assumed if I was running into it others might be too. GUI issue maybe?
Oddly enough Komplete Kontrol had to be rescanned as well because some libraries were missing for me, but that’s probably unrelated.

1 Like

Post it on Steinberg forums when you can. I’ll post my findings this weekend on that thread. Busy day for me today to post it. If you don’t post it today i can do it by Sunday.

You play “the kit” yet on groove agent se5? That’s hot.

Good video on basic beatmaking tools you get in cubase