Crossfader sending midi CC problem

I’ve had this problem before where the OT sends a midi cc message to a synth when the crossfader is moved. When I had the A4, it turned one of the osc pitches right down or something like that. Now it is causing problems with a Nord Drum 2 where midi notes don’t trigger. maybe turned a parameter down like volume or velocity etc.

Anyone else experience a similar problem when hooking something up to the OT?

Cheers!

1 Like

There’ll be dozens of threads about this

Thanks Avantronica,

A search doesn’t appear to lead to any solutions or explanations of this problem. In regards to the OT sending an unwanted midi cc message, and how to stop it from happening.

Iirc: Go to Project menu, there Midi -> Control -> audio cc out: int (instead of int+ext)

2 Likes

I don’t control midi devices with the OT much, but I’ve seen it discussed here a lot, there are a few solutions that may not work for your needs on the link I provided, but you’ll have to work around the fact that the fader sends midi, that can be turned off, you can also work with different channels on the midi side -either way, I’m sure you’ll get an answer from the midi users, the manual explains how the OT deals with conflicts when the channels conflict and what takes priority, I’m probably going to get this issue soon when I finally get round to hooking up my evolver/blofeld to the OT

1 Like

Thanks guys,

I changed the ‘audio cc out’ to ‘int’

also switched ‘CC direct connect’ off, just in case it was doing anything.

It now works…BUT only if I power the Nord Drum on first. Before powering up the OT. Strange.

If I power up the OT first and then switch the ND on after…the midi note on messages from the OT don’t trigger the ND.

So maybe it isn’t anything to do with the cross-fader after all. Who knows!

1 Like

An midi interface + midi monitor (i e MidiOX) inbetween OT and ND could possibly give you an clue of what is happening. My guess is that it might send off some message that ND interprets in its own way, perhaps altering some settings that you aren´t aware of. Which may not be clearly visible for you.

Having to remember in which order to power up things sounds a bit uncertain, I would try to dig deeper to understand why thing are as they are. Then if anything goes weird (ie before live performance), you´d at least have a slight chance to solve it.

My own experience with OT and my nord modular G2, where a bit shaky first. Until I realized that Nord and Elektron are using different midi octave standards. It was only when I had adjusted the midi note output from my G2 by 1-2 octave (don´t remember exact), that I would get the correct intended response from my OT. Might be an similar issue for you with the ND…

An midi interface + midi monitor (i e MidiOX) inbetween OT and ND could possibly give you an clue of what is happening. My guess is that it might send off some message that ND interprets in its own way, perhaps altering some settings that you aren´t aware of. Which may not be clearly visible for you.

Having to remember in which order to power up things sounds a bit uncertain, I would try to dig deeper to understand why thing are as they are. Then if anything goes weird (ie before live performance), you´d at least have a slight chance to solve it.

My own experience with OT and my nord modular G2, where a bit shaky first. Until I realized that Nord and Elektron are using different midi octave standards. It was only when I had adjusted the midi note output from my G2 by 1-2 octave (don´t remember exact), that I would get the correct intended response from my OT. Might be an similar issue for you with the ND… [/quote]
Cheers for pitching in Mike,

I tested it out further and realised something peculiar.

First of all, there is only one midi cable, which goes out from the OT to the ND2 (Midi IN). The problem occurs when the ND2 is switched on after the OT. So I can probably rule out the idea of the OT sending any midi messages to the ND2…Or in fact any midi messages at all. Since it is already on, and just sitting there waiting to send midi to the ND2.

The problem occurs only when I switch the ND2 after the OT…AND if the midi cable is plugged in, from OT (OUT) to ND2 (IN).

So I can only come to the conclusion or take a wild guess and say…That maybe the act of powering up the ND2 is causing some sort of power/electrical anomaly that happens to affect the OT in a peculiar way. A power anomaly that happens to travel backwards through the midi chain! I even tested it without the audio TRS cables (the ND2 into the OT inputs), and the problem only occurs when the ND2 is switched on after the OT and the Midi cable is connected.

The ND2 does not have a conventional power switch, it simply powers up when the power cable is connected. Maybe that has something to do with it :confused:

It might be some sort of “midi sensing” function. The elektrons have the ability to change between ext and internal midi clock automatically, on the fly without missing a beat. So there must be some sort of monitoring going on.
The ND may need to be on first so that the OT can “sense” it on start up.

I am basically just guessing. Midi can be a quirky thing from one device to the next.

Cool i just ficed my problem with you information. OT was changing my decay on my CB when i change something in the filter section in the OT, after i changed in project menu audio cc out from ext+int to int it stopped.
Cheers!!

3 Likes

The other issue (documented elsewhere on this forum in the intervening years) is that the ND2 does not like receiving MIDI data (especially clock) when powering up. If the ND2 powers up first, all is good. If any device is connected to the ND2 and powers up first, it has to be ‘MIDI silent’ until the ND2 comes up - IOW no clock pulses, no MIDI CCs, no program changes, no notes, …

2 Likes

hey all -

my crossfader on my OTmk1 is sending unwanted messages to my AK via MIDI. Is there a way to have it so the crossfader just does its thing on the OT and doesn’t send anything out to the AK? I know theres a way to do it but I can’t seem to find it.

Thanks!

The fader will send MIDI data by default, you can disable it in the MIDI/Control menu by setting “audio cc out” to “int” instead of “int+ext”… You can also set the AK not to react to MIDI CC by unchecking “receive cc/nrpn” in the MIDI Config/MIDI Port Config menu…

3 Likes

Perfect answer above. :slight_smile:
I’ll add it’s a classic, happened to me too and for information OT crossfader sends CC48, which corresponds to A4/AF fine tune.

4 Likes

OPENMIKE! Thank you!

1 Like