Cross fade to different samples

Great. I’ve been missing this until now. Didn’t know that tracks could be handled with scenes in this way. I’ll try in a bit when I get home. Thanks again

1 Like

Hey so is there anything I need to do different to get this to work in slice playback mode? Right now i’m throwing my guitar solo down on a track…slicing it up and playing back the slices live in slice playback mode. I’d like to do this and add a sax solo on another track, slice it up and then cross fade between the 2 tracks in slice playback mode. I can get what you told me to work if i throw down the whole thing w/o slicing it, place a record trig and play it in the sequencer but ultimately thats not the way I want to do. Any Ideas as to why I’m having trouble in slice playback mode?

I don’t know why you’d have a different behaviour with XVOL and Slice mode, as XVOL setting is after Playback settings.
Make another test with a new project maybe ?

1 Like

Use a sample chain- still slices- but with some prework you should be able to pull off the same effect

Update…ish. So as long as I put 2 diff samples on 2 diff tracks and follow above instructions…place a trigger and play in sequencer i can crossfade between 2 tracks/samples. Then I slice them up say 16 slices (it’s a 32 bar solo for me so patt scale= 64/64 @ 1/8 but cld be anything), I have to stay in the sequencer w trigs placed and it now will only play and fade between the 1st slice. Nothing else. Again figuring out how to do this by placing trigs and using sequencer is not what I need to do here just showing what i’ve been able to figure out so far. As soon as I switch to slice playback mode I have to be on one or the other tracks and the fader just goes from max to min volume. If I was playing slice 4 say I was thinking I might be able to have it fade to slice 4 on the other track etc. Ryan mentioned sample chain…don’t know what that is. I’ll try the manual. Any other Ideas with the slice playback and scenes out there?
Thanks much

Also tried to go slice by slice. In slice play back mode it’s not letting me set diff. Xvol for scene A and B.

I checked after my post. XVOL works with slices the same way.
Did you plocked trigs instead of scenes ?

XVOL is different from VOL.

Can confirm xvol works fine on sliced tracks, use it all the time… Works on all tracks, all machines, no matter what has been done with them…
All it does is control amp vol, min silences the track but leaves fx tails, max brings to the set vol level…
Must be something not set right…

1 Like

Hey OpenMike and sezare56. So I’m trying to put say a 16 second sample on track A and a different 16 second sample on track B. Make a slice grid on each sample say 16 slices. Use the fader to fade between tracks/slices in SLICE PLAYBACK mode so I can mix up/improvise live. Any way to mk this happen wld be great. What I’ve tried to do =
Have each track in SLICE PLAYBACK mode and use the crossfader live to fade between the samples on each track. Thats what I want to do. I was told early in the thread to use Xvol. I’m not wanting to place a trig and push play in the sequencer and crossfade. I’ve been able to do that. XVol does work on sliced tracks like Mike said…it goes from silence to set volume. Not what I’m trying to do. Trying to crossfade between two tracks w sliced samples and do it while playing the slices in Slice Mode. If anyone is willing to try with a quick 5 sec sample slice it into 2 slices on one track…and a diff 5 sec sample sliced on a second track and see if theres a way to crossfade in Slice playback mode(or any other way) I would appreciate it. Maybe it works and I’m missing any number of OT settings that are preventing this from working for me.
Thanks folks

1 Like

Oh OK, sorry didn’t catch that’s what your were trying, yeah xvol just works for tracks…
Slice mode where you play the slices with the trigs only controls and sounds through the active track…

It seems to me the issue comes down to “playing in slice mode”: you can only play slices on one track at a time. Therefore the other track isn’t playing anything cause you’re not playing it in slice mode.

UNLESS you are selecting each track each time you change scenes…

Which is actually a pretty sick idea.

2 Likes

Hey Ryan. I don’t know about sample chains or how to use them . Can’t find anything in the manual. Searching here through posts I find ways to get sample chains to add to OT but so far no basic info on what they are or how to use them. Can you point me to something that will explain what they are and how to use them? If I can get that part of it I will then try to see if it’s a way to do what I want to do here. Thanks

Yeah so far I’m having to play a slice then if i want the the other sliced track I have to reach up and activate it. Was hoping to be able to crossfade between slices/ sliced tracks in slice playback the same way I can crossfade in other playback modes. Looks like it’s not happening.

You can but the slices have to be sequenced, not played live. :frowning:

One thought would be to, with the same fade, maybe set the depth on a random LFO modulating slices…

This tool might help you.

A sample chain is a series of different samples all placed onto a single audio file.

If memory serves, this puts all the samples together and pre-slices them in for your OT

Yeah I’ts more important for me to be in control/ pick the slices I want on the fly. I can do it fine and use the fade for other things just hoping I cld set it up to fade to diff slices. Oh well.
Thanks folks. If anyone can point me to where I can learn about how to use sample chains in OT I’d be grateful. Someone mentioned it might work for what I’m trying to do here but I’m not sure where to start.
Thanks All

So basically this is an easier way to pre-make slices and bring them in to OT as slices no? Wouldn’t necessarily change how I might be able to crossfade in slice playback mode between 2 tracks with sliced material or are there other ways to handle chains to make this happen?
Thanks Ryan

Well, you CAN use it to pre-slice samples. But you can have x # of samples in a single .wav file- so by navigating through the time/slices you’re changing which sample is actually playing

This approach might help

2 Likes

I’d like to, but I still don’t understand what you want to do…:sketchy:
Do you know Megabreak of Doom trick ?