Creative flow-synth with keys or module/controller?

Hello elektrons…1st post. Really enjoy this forum. I joined recently after buying a RYTM MKII! Already love what’s its brought to my music:songwriting.

I’m a singer/songwriter type (not that I’m amazing or deserving of fame but i do upload on SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple, amazon etc under “Sam vanlaningham”). I most always write songs with acoustic guitar, every once in awhile on a soft synth in logic (until meeting the rytm, wherein I really like an improv song I busted out after doing the vco update!.. if you listen, all major changes etc are performance macros with unknown intentions :slight_smile: https://soundcloud.com/sam-vanlaningham/run-from-me ). Mix has too much bass for most speakers/some headphones but it’s a 2 track and I haven’t fixed it yet:))

Long boring story short is, until a couple months ago, I did not realize that all the synth sounds I loved were done on analog and/or hard synths. So I bought a Moog Sub Phatty then the RYTM and now I realize I MUST have a hard analog polysynth! (I was forewarned of this new addiction but thought “I’ve totally been there done that with guitars”). Synths are entirely a different level of acquisition syndrome.

Ok so now I think I want a prophet rev2. I already have an impulse 49 with aftertouch etc that I could plug into the module but I really really like a standalone instrument for my somewhat spontaneous writing style. I think I know my answer (rev2 with keys) but have any of you gone thru this experience and found you like the versatility/footprint of a midi controller and modules enough that it’s the better way for you?

Thanks for your time!

Sam

The prophet is a great synth and a perfect choice for a first hardware poly. It will really grow on you while still inspire through ease-of-play. I really think you should get it with keys. Not that the key bed is remarkably better than many controllers, but as you say, if you’re a musician you will like the moe hands on, intuitive style, with the knobs close by to tweak. Later on, when you want to save on space or take out for gigs, maybe you should look at desktops, but sounds to me, the one with keys is for you right now

1 Like

If the Prophet is the way you’re leaning, it’s a hell of a synth. Consider the 8-voice model and you can always upgrade to 16 in the future. The key bed is a joy to play, one of the best I’ve tried.

Something that’s served me well on the synth acquisition adventure is dealing locally on the used market. There are still some deals to be had, and each synth is its own learning experience. However, there’s something to be said for diving in with what could be a lifetime instrument. Perhaps it’s less of a waste of time. Either way, good luck!

1 Like

Thanks people! Loving the thoughts…And i think the fact that the impulse doesn’t feel amazing is further support for keys. And glad to hear they feel good!

Sam

Ok pulled trigger on 16 voice rev2 with keys. Oh man my bank account hopes this is last synth for awhile. Can’t wait to rock it with my rytm! I truly love the rytm, and that’s with some of its pad quirks etc!

Never did hear of anyone preferring the midi controller - module route but maybe that’s because the decision was almost made before the post eh?

Ok thx nauts.

Sam

My creative flow with midi controllers is to put them on eBay and then jam with proper hardware. Works a treat!

2 Likes

Haha I just this minute put my impulse 49 on Craigslist. I’m coming to this as a very straightforward conclusion as well! Love my
Sub phatty and love love love the rytm.

Sam

Congrats on the Rev2. This is the one synth I’ll never let go of, even if it’s a choice between it and my OB6.

Just in case you have any issues with it, go join the DSI forum, and you’ll have access to the latest firmware update, which has solved sooo many issues some ppl have had.

1 Like