Creating a loop for OT

Ive found the zero crossing further in at the beginning as you described after the attack and ive moved the end point a little too, in the trim section so its at its minimum once set does the trim stay like that? or should i delete those sections? i assume now i go out of the editor and use the amp part. ive noticed now ive trimmed it down, that it plays for the length of the loop then resets for the remainder. my pattern is 4 bars ive set loop on, ive clearly missed a setting i think

No need to trim as long as you’re not short on RAM. Make a destructive trim only after you’ve found the perfect loop points and have already played with it for some time.

its very close i have the constant sustain part, but i have a small click. moving the release and attack help a little hold is on full. is it only down to those settings now?

I wonder if i am sampling wrong. will it be better if i manually start sampling and allow a tail to form. that will deal with the end and leave a tail. can i tell ot to fade in I am sure i saw that somewhere, I read it but forgot where. if i do that in theory I should not get the clicks. that seems like deadlock. if i move in to get to the sustain part i have the wall of sound going in when the advice is to fade in and out to rid clicks.

what i will do is go into ableton and sopy the sustain part do the tail to front and crossfade then bring into ot and see if i am cured.

zero crossings don’t tell the whole picture here - have a look at a related chat - phase is very important too

1 Like

Yeah, of course the polarities must match too. If you combine a raising end to a falling start, it will not sound correct.

AFAIK, getting the loop points to match and line up fixes clicking most of the time. A perfect end result might require several attempts from different points / cycles of the waves. This is also why I’d advise against destructive sample trimming until you’re sure you got something that’s working.

your exactly right, I haven’t eliminated it entirely but its very close. I am going to check the rise and fall too, that’s a great piece of advice. It has taught me to that the length of the sample doesn’t have to be too long just long enough for that sustain part, because even with length it could still click.

that thread was great, in fact I am now going to take the sample in mono, then try the other things mentioned in this thread and the other.

1 Like

oh god yes, very good point! Stereo samples can be very tricky to get looping properly. If there’s not much stereo trickery going on with the sound, you’re always better off sampling mono, or converting to mono (discarding one side of the stereo information).

I stuck with this til about 1900, then as I could still here the albeit small click at the beginning tried mono and got it even less to click but still evident when just the one sound was playing, I tried a new idea. Its either my crappy editing or not being able to find the loop points in the sustain part, I tried a lot believe me. I hooked up my rc505 set that to record 1 bar and stop with a mono channel. I pressed the key on the JDXI before recording so I was already in the sustain part. I had not set fade in or out. I got a seamless loop.

Today I will shove that loop into the OT and see if its seamless as is in that.If it is then I will try doing the OT loop manually and see what happens

Interestingly the RC505 made a great sounding loop where no clicks when played back on the RC505. When I brought the loop over to the OT back was the click. This told me that the OT is just as good as the RC505 and it was my technique that was the issue.

So what i did then was set the JDXI to play the note I wanted sampled but I set the AP to on and set the hold to on so a continuous sound was being played, this gets back to i think what Tsutek said about going beyond the attack part of the sound.

I used the trig recorder sampled at 4 bars and hey presto a sample that played back perfectly in loop mode.

I know there are lots of threads on this going back through the years but on the whole its not all about what you do in post, trying to get zero crossings or looking for rise and fall at the beginning and end.

The success here was to sample correctly in the first place ie not to trigger the synth with a midi trig at the start and record at the start.

Its a really interesting topic.

Thank you for your assistance.

I have an rc505 as well and I think it
always applies a tiny fade at loop start and end points, so you don’t hear the click. these might be applied dynamically, so when you copy over the loop you will hear the click

and Papernoise that is exactly what happened, so back to square one. unless i record that playing rc505 loop into the OT. i will try that, it seems every turn i make i am back to square one. I did try that on the OT with the fade but it didnt help. the string waveform is just very difficult to loop.

One thing I thought about - have you tried removing dc offset from the sample?

Not sure if you can do this without the computer, but just transfer the sample from OT’s card into a sample editor app (aEven audacity has this)

I hadnt thought about it but will do I can always record the sample into ableton 9 and then save the resultant wav into the OT. It may be that it cannot be done with this type of waveform or that there will always be a minor artifact at the beginning.

I will point out because many read the threads this is not a problem with the OT, that samples flawlessly. The technique thereafter with the looping remains my problem and is my inexperience.

you reckon @Rusty might have any insight on this matter?

Best to ask @tsutek what @Rusty is supposed to know…

someone might have a jdxi and octatrack I am trying to sample and loop note c3 at lets say 4 bars on jp8 strings its the first preset in strings category. That beast wavers around in all directions.