Correct Tuning of Rytm

Cheers for letting us know.

Hi Folks,
so I played around with the tunings and found the following solution. You can Tune the Rytm pitch perfect. Here is a detailed explanation how you do it:

Initial Setting:
Trig Not = 0
Synth Tun = 0

LFO Dst = Tun
LFO SPD = 0
LFO Wav = Square
LFO MOD = Half

You control the tune just with the LFO Dep. As you can finetune this in cents on the Rytm (not via midi of Overbridge), you can set the amount very precisely. To check the tune put all Sweep, Snap etc. parameters to 0 and the Decay to maximum.

Put a Tuner behind the Overbridge Plugin. If the tuner doesnt get the right tune, put an EQ inbetween and filter out all the overtones, so that you just hear the fundamental.

If you got the note, decrease the decay again and bring the snap, pitch etc. right back in.

I made a Table for my Rythm, where I can find the right Tunings. This might not be the same parameters as on your rytm (because its analog) but it should be in the same range. Mostly half a note up is an increase of depth around +2. The BT is very unstable and difficult to tune. CH, OH and CY can’t be tuned, but you can set up a High Pass Filter (2-pole), set the Frequency to 99 and the Res to lets say 40, and choose the Filter Freq as the destination for the LFO. Then you can imitate a tune of the Hihats and Cymbals a little bit. The CY has a high tick thats tuned to an A8.

So here is the LFO setting (in this example for a BD on an A:

and here is the Tuning Table for my Rytm:

If Elektron would make the Tun-Parameter of the Synth also be able to increase and decrease in cents, then it would be possible to finetune it without the waste of an lfo. This would be great!

And now you ask, how should I tune my Kit. Well all Instruments of the Kit should be tuned in the same scale as the song. Most producers choose the following harmonic tuning:

Kick: 1st or 5th Note of the scale (in A min: A or E)
Snare: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th or 11th Note of the Scale (in A min: A, B, C, D, E, G)
HiHat: 7th note of the scale (in Amin: G)
Percussion: 7th, 9th or 11th note of the scale (in Amin: B, D, G)

The Idea is that you create a chord system with your drums. Just play around with it :slight_smile:

Have Fun,
Goat

20 Likes

big ups for sharing your findings! I’m sure alot of people will benefit from this data.

That’s a great way to tune the oscillators to any tuning. I’m skeptical about the benefits of conformity to a particular scale. Someone once said the keyboard was the worst thing to happen to synthesisers. Confirming to scale excludes the possibility of most key changes within a song…

This is a great tip. Thanks!

Hope that Help

3 Likes

great stuff! ill try that out and report, if the values match my rytm as well

1 Like

As they make tracking better in the latest firmware I guess… but they told me as all machine are analog it should slightly be different between each hardware but not that much so…

I hope what I done is not useless :stuck_out_tongue: cheers
it’s done either with a spectrum and Melodyne for the analysis starting in higher notes to lower notes.

Williams table works great for newer machines. The thing is, for the older machines the values come out slightly different between calibrations on the same Rytm, while the newer ones always calibrate the same…
In general: table is ballpark for older machines and will get you close but you may need to adjust and possibly add lfo tuning trick to get exact. Table works great for newer machines(and maybe some of the old ones like cowbell)…

1 Like

I make the Tune Table x3 times on older machines. At each step I recalibrate and I have the exact same values… But as a matter of fact it’s analog so every machine can be slightly different. And probably less accurate on those old machine which was BDCL, BDHD and BDFM…

Except if your machine behave like or more or less like mine… in this case the Table should be close.

I think you did great making the table… When I was testing it was the ones you mentioned that came out different, BDHD, BDCL, BDFM… One of these days I’ll do some more testing and I would like to find out if maybe it’s just my Rytm that behaves this way before my warranties over…
I guess YMMV… My warranties over in 6 months so I’ll have a complete evaluation done sometime by then…

I’m interested to know if any users get different tuning values for old machines in between calibrations, ie let the rytm warm up for hours in a stable environment with good power, calibrate and check tuning, then calibrate again and check tuning, my BDHD for example would vary by up to 50cents(1/2 a semi tone)…

1 Like

Have you investigate your test in higher range of note firstly, then progressively to the lower note. Because lower note (I mean really low) is very difficult to analysed. Therefore, if there’s 2 increments between note on 2 octave high (for example C3 to C5) there’s no reason that range is exactly the same lower… but your spectrum should be hard to read on C0 per example because of the energy. Melodyne is more accurate at the contrary. (for reading purpose)

This stuff drives me nuts but I would love to get to the bottom of it, one of these days, because I’m sensitive to tunings and have had to re-adjust slightly all my kick drums for every pattern after calibration…
Could just be my Rytm.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ll report back next time I dive into this but right now it’s definitely on a back burner…
I’ll feel silly if I find its just my Rytm but at least this has helped me to figure it out, and if mines like that probably some others are as well…

1 Like

Honestly if all the other machines track well and calibration doesn’t change something for all, I really not sure your RYTM as a problem at all. Support told me as it’s Analog, it should be slight difference between each hardware so if I were you I would not be worry that much. (but you can always open a ticket to investigate further… if calibration make the behavior of old machines different at each calibration)

1 Like

Thanks. So if I’m reading this correctly you just use the tuning knob and not the LFO trick mentioned above? How did you fine tune? Or was it not neccessary?

In chromatic mode, for example if I tuned my BD at D, second pad in chromatic mode will follow and in that case will play d#?

Any News about an upgrade to fix this bug? Playing Toms are terrible at the moment.

1 Like

Is this solved in MK2?

1 Like

Hey guys, is this problem maybe solved in mk2?? Im just to produce some trap music and its ultra important to play bass on 808-like kicks.

The Mk1 and Mk2 are basically identical (except the ability to sample)
Only the later (track)machines added after initial Mk1 have had attention to tuning to help here

Given that there was a legacy mode added after a modest tweak to FX send levels which was forced … I’d be surprised if they’d be re-tuning toms as they are because it would affect user patterns - that’s not to say they couldn’t consider a way to have a second Tom engine which helped out here a bit, who knows, but it’s more realistically a FR