Control two synths via A4 CV?

Maybe a dumb question. Is it possible to control 2 separate monosynth melodies from the A4’s CV outs? I’m thinking two different notes (cv/gate x2) per trig. Thanks for indulging me.

Yes indeed, but you will need special cables : CV outs are 6,35 Stereo and you’ll want to split that into mono.
OK for Slim Phatty, but for Eurorack you’ll need 3,5 mono and this is not easily found.
Thus Elektron splitter. But a wee bit costly.

1 Like

Yep easy to control two monos, normally using Fx and CV track … But i would disagree that Elektron CV kit is pricey, it’s arguably underpriced imho. Really well specified and the braided branded cables are sweet. Really great product. Robust and very flexible for a number of uses

2 Likes

Basically what is needed is a split Y cable 6,35 Stereo to 3,5 Mono.
Something comparable to this.

And to control 2x2 CV inputs, one needs two of them.
That’s <10€ against almost 2x30€ Elektron split kit.

I have no doubt this kit is made with care and reaches professional standards, and offers more than a Y cable, as you say.
But for OP needs only it’s a bit pricey IMO.
A shame there seems to be no such thing as a Y cable 6,35 Stereo to 3,5 Mono…

Maybe I should ask Thomann about this :slight_smile:

I get by using a Nokia TRRS > 2x RCA jacks (with RCA > 6.35mm stereo adapter into the A4) video cable for controlling a Monotribe on CV C and D from the FX channel. Currently on CV A and B I use a 6.35mm adapter to a 3.5mm male > 2x 3.5mm female splitter, and run separate 3.5mm patch cables from there. It all seems to work fine (see picture).

1 Like

:frowning: I would solder it.

1 Like

I checked Thomann (I like how they offer to search cables) :
2 Cordial CFY 0,3 VYY + 4 Doepfer A-100C120 = 36,80€

Alternatively
2 pro snake TPY 2003 JBB and 4 Doepfer Adapter Cable 6.3/3.5 mm = 40,74€

Compare to these prices the Elektron kit seems not that pricey indeed ! You were right @avantronica, my bad.
It really seems to be non-standard needs, so yes indeed soldering may be the most interesting option.

2 Likes

That looks like what I need next. Ta for the link.

1 Like

My first instinct would be to use a straight cable, no adaptors, so I made my own, but the Elektron cables are so well made … you absolutely do not want to be stacking 1/4"plugs into adaptors on a device, awkward and could be problematic

The Elektron kit solves a lot of problems, and importantly, it has real good 1/8" > 1/4" cables to use for your stuff … it’s all very sturdy and, for a premium product, quite exceptional value imho

Their offering was a result of threads like this one (and many others) … it’s quite an innovative solution, that works for AR ins/outs and all sorts besides CV … also a passive mult :wink:

1 Like

You’re right, the passive mult part of the kit could be use to output twice the same CV signal…
Well, guess I’m sold :smile:

2 Likes

Nice!
I’m way ahead on the cable thing though, I’d been using a couple of insert cables to a nord drum before I upgraded to the AR and freed up the CV track. I’ve been dreaming up what else to connect there ever since and couldn’t quite get my head around how a trig could allow two different notes at once. Now that I know it’s possible -although I’m still unclear exactly how- it’s time to pick out a couple monos! A6 will kick ass for sure.
Thanks all.

There are 6 tracks and four voices
you sacrifice using the FX track for plocking fx params and use it as a source for a second CV track - each of teh four CV channels can be derived from any internal track, normally these would be paired up as gate/pitch, but there’s nothing to stop you droning a few synths with an open VCA and using four separate channels of pitch control - maybe from four tracks (ie two internal tracks + CV + fx) or even from four lfos - it’s all very flexible, especially as you can use the value line type to act as a potentiometer

2 Likes