“Control all” from external midi

Hi all.
I think I did my best at RTFMing, but was not able to find this — is it possible to have a separate MIDI channel that’ll act like holding the track button on Digitakt to control fx sends and so on from external midi.
In my setup I have Digitakt’s audio tracks 1-8 controlled with respective midi channels to be able to send CC per track. As far as I understand from manual this is the way to do that.

Just realized that on my deluge I could maybe assign the send fx cc of all tracks to the same golden knob to have this “control all” feel as well as keeping the per track assignment… But maybe that’s just me thinking of things these devices can not do.:thinking:

Nonetheless - please advise me with some way to make this happen, since it would be really cool if it is possible.

Cheers!

You can do this with this:

Just map all knobs to a single midi knob or something

1 Like

I have done this a couple of ways. The dead simple method is to set every track to the same MIDI channel. Now any MIDI CCs you send to it will work on all 8 tracks simultaneously. Of course, now that everything is receiving on the same channel, it’s no longer effective to use any kind of pad or key controller because it will trigger all the sounds at once. If you’re not playing/sequencing the Digitakt externally then this is not really of concern. I did this with my BeatStep Pro here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgCMXAVDRoO/

Second way this is possible, with the addition of externally playing on all channels, is to use a computer. How you do it may differ but I was able to achieve it in MIDI-OX using the Data Mapping tool. I effectively duplicated the output of my MIDI controller across all 8 channels. The controller you’re using for the Control All effect will still trigger all 8 channels if you play a note, but you can now employ a second controller to use keys or pads to play each track individually. Other apps will also allow for MIDI transform/translation, for instance you can program it in Cubase. I think with MIDI-OX I can actually fine tune it to Here’s a demo of me doing this method with my iPad running TouchOSC and a XY screen I made: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhum3I1Aq9f/

A new way I just discovered to do control all from an external controller is to use the RetroKits RK-002 MIDI cable. With the polymux firmware installed, the cable turns a Digitakt into an up to 8-voice digital synthesizer by playing notes in a “round robin” fashion across your various MIDI channels. An additional benefit of this is that it duplicates all of the CC messages coming through it across all of your polymuxed channels, giving you control all. Like the above methods, you’ll no longer be able to play the Digitakt as individual tracks from the controller you’re sending CCs from, but a second controller will work.

2 Likes

You could maybe set your external midi to send stuff on Omni for whatever parameter you want to control. This should send the midi message to all midi channel on the digitakt.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice!

@jefones what do you mean with “Omni”? Are you talking about auto channel?

maybe something like this could hepl? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think “omni” is usually a receiving feature, not a sending feature. Usually controllers/keyboards/synths send on a single channel, and some of them can receive on all channels (aka omni)… but I don’t think it works the other way around too

1 Like

And really, setting all the sample tracks to the same channel has exactly that functionality

I totally ignored the “fx control channel” in the settings of the box.:man_facepalming:

1 Like

i was just thinking it would be REALLY awesome if there a control all page, or if it took over a midi track or something. Would make all the performance options with this feature so much more fun and usable

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve just noticed that you can do this on the Akai MPK mini plus (and I assume any other Akai MPK mini with pads) by setting the pads to the lowest MIDI note values (00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07) you can play polyphonically on the keys through the RKoo2 but still hit the individual tracks using the pads. Which means you can really get a lot of functionality out of just having the digitakt, the RK-02, and the MPK mini without having to do menu-divey changes in live situations.