Continuously loop Tracks even when changing pattern?

Hi,

I have a quick question concerning patterns.
Id like to switch patterns without switching all the Tracks at the same time (to allow for smooth transitions).
So e.g. I have pattern 1 running and switch to pattern 2. All the tracks run freely. Now Id like to change track after track by triggering them manually.
As it is right now, everything goes silent after I change the pattern.
How can I make all the tracks loop instead of stopping them when I change patterns?

I hope thats understandeble. Any help appreciated, thanks!

edit: Using the Loop function in the Playback Setup Menu is not an option I think, because Im not working with loops but with one shot samples.

A good question :+1:

I understood it like this …

You have two patterns, P1 and P2, with 8 tracks each (T1 to T8). The transition should be …

Start: P 1 (all tracks) -> P2(T1) + P1(T2 to T8) -> P2(T1 to T2) + P1(T3 to T8) etc.

I fear that this is not implemented in any of the Elektron sequencers. AFAIK you switch always all tracks, because the hierarchy is that pattern contain tracks.

I would be very interested, if this kind of transition is possible.

There might be some workarounds … basic ideas only

1. Have the transition distributed using differnt patterns such that the start pattern is on pattern 1, the following transition on pattern 2, which is a copy of pattern 1 plus one track changed, the next transition is pattern 2 as a copy of pattern 2 with one track changed … and so forth.

2. Try to have the transition in one pattern as far as possible, like having pairs of track1(baseline) <-> track5(variation of baseline) and mute unmute accordingly.

1 Like

hi soundrider, you got it right I think. The basic idea is to have 16 patterns, all containing different trigs and samples and therefore representing 16 short songs so to say. And if you were able to switch Tracks one after another you could easily fill 2 hours of a live set just with those 16 patterns, because there’d be so many types of possible “remixes” in between.
Cant believe that this isnt possible, it seems so logic to me :neutral_face:

concerning the workaround ideas…

1. that would work but it also would be very unflexible. I’d always have to lets say first change the Bassdrum, than the Lead, but Id like to be able to change what ever I want in a particular situation. So I’d had more control and it always would be somewhat different.

2. than Id have to buy a second OT :joy: 4 tracks is just not enough

AFAIK such flexibility requires that “tracks” are not bound to be part of a “pattern”, or you have plenty of tracks to switch between.

Example: My MPC provides 64 “tracks” for a “sequence” (MPC sequence corresponds to a pattern of the OT). This gives much space for improvisation and remix, without the need of switching to another “sequence”. It’s then a job of mute/unmute tracks only.

Out of my limited memory I can’t remember of a hardware sequencer that would allow us to run two pattern/sequences simultaneously and pick tracks as required. I think neither the Sequentix Circlon nor the Squarp Pyramid provide such cross-pattern selection. Maybe that’s one reason why they come with 64 tracks per “song”.

Check out the Emu Command Station’s XMix feature.

Perhaps not quite the same thing, but does Biologik’s part transition tip help with your idea?

Perhaps not quite the same thing, but does Biologik’s part transition tip help with your idea?[/quote]
unfortunately not, because hes using loops instead of triggers. that way he can make the loops continue to loop even if the pattern gets changed (as long as the free running tracks of the next pattern arent triggered)
I dont wanna use loops though because that takes a lot of flexibility away and requires even more preperation

1 Like

Perhaps not quite the same thing, but does Biologik’s part transition tip help with your idea?[/quote]
unfortunately not, because hes using loops instead of triggers. that way he can make the loops continue to loop even if the pattern gets changed (as long as the free running tracks of the next pattern arent triggered)
I dont wanna use loops though because that takes a lot of flexibility away and requires even more preperation[/quote]
The solution you are looking for involves resampling each track of each pattern (turning your sequence of one shots into loops).
Your right, it is a lot of preparation.

1 Like

Check out the Emu Command Station’s XMix feature.[/quote]
:+1: indeed, just googled it. Thanks for the info.

Sad that it’s out of production

1 Like

I dont wanna use loops though because that takes a lot of flexibility away and requires even more preperation[/quote]
The solution you are looking for involves resampling each track of each pattern (turning your sequence of one shots into loops).
Your right, it is a lot of preparation. [/quote]
that would also mean Id always have to wait till the loop has fully played (e.g. 64 steps) and wouldnt be able to just switch sounds after the next 16 steps… I guees I have to search for other options, I really hate using loops

1 Like