Comparison in Music and Visual Art

Hey Everyone,

I thought I’d post some thoughts of comparison between techniques and philosophies of music and the visual art world and invite others to share their views and knowledge on this topic. I recently took up oil painting as a side pursuit to gain inspiration and explore analogies to music. So far, it’s been very fulfilling. I know like any creative pursuit, some time spent on technique will help me gain intuition in the medium and open channels to higher quality output. It’s also just really fun! I get super excited to buy a new tube of paint and other supplies now. :laughing:

Part of the impetus for doing this was that I’d been thinking recently about how years ago, when I was at university studying music, one of my composition instructors advised me to spend a day at the art museum studying the composition techniques of master visual artists . This was a useful and enjoyable practice at the time, and now, I aim to continue the practice when I can.

One of “low-hanging fruit” analogs between music and visual art which I can think of right away is the golden ratio (a + b is to a as a is to b). Somehow, we relate positively to this ratio in the placement of objects/aspects in a painting or in a sculpture. Similarly, some of the most memorable musical pieces base their narrative course along a timeline that reflects this ratio. The golden ratio obviously goes beyond just music and visual art, as it’s something reflected throughout nature.

Another connection that I’m personally starting to think about and intuit at some level in the activity of painting is, when mixing colours, I’ve started to imagine how the use of tints, shades and tones might relate to chords, melodies, textures, and timbres. Anyway, I’ve got nothing solid on that front, and I imagine that this kind of thing would be very subjective, but it’s a fun sort of way to think about the process and the product.

4 Likes

Exactly! I love silence in music (negative space). Interesting point about the rule of three. It makes sense to me :wink:

Here’s the eight elements of composition which relate equally to visual, musical art, and I’m thinking potentially even culinary art …

2 Likes

Just found this on twitter:

1 Like

the less you read about any of that

and go with your own guts

intentionally didn’t finish the last sentence

1 Like

It’s all after the act, to me :wink:

Just like music theory, in my mind. With painting, I haven’t a bit of formal training. I just took the inspiration from one of Bob Ross’s glazing techniques and went in my own weird direction. Now exploring concepts and symbology after the creative act.

2 Likes

I always found techno to be a step into the “visual” direction. The uncompromising looping and the deliberate lack of chord progressions or melodies all have a certain static quality that’s similar to visual art or sculpture.
And I’m thinking of “techno” pieces like Phylyps Trak II/II.

1 Like

the art of the limited palette can be applied to both painting and music too. :+1:

1 Like

If you’re looking for analogies between visual art and music I can recommend this talk by Adam Neely : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNKlhspdKg

There’s also analogies to be found in the work of Paul Klee, or Vassily Kandinsky, which are known for trying to incorporate music in their work as painters, even though their approach varies it’s still interesting to see how they “translated” music to their canvas, and trying to do the opposite process for music might be fun. Trying to “combine” the arts was very popular among artists at this period (early 1900), and the experiment of Arnold Schoenberg in atonality partly stems from his experience as a painter (it’s an assumption but seeing and hearing his work it seems like a safe assumption to make).

I can also point you to this essay on the subject, which contains a lot of artistic references you can build your researches on : http://divergencepress.net/articles/2016/10/27/sound-and-image-relations-a-history-of-convergence-and-divergence

The essay is more about exploring direct relationship between music and image rather than transposing feelings or process from one medium to another, but there’s some solid artistic references in it and if you dig a little you can find gems for inspiration.

2 Likes