Companion synth recommendations?

It can definitely but internal seq allows for deeper modulation. One way could be to do a hybrid, for example do all basic seq in the AK but use the OT in parallel to seq performance parameters and multi map features (for example root note for seq).

2 Likes

Yeah. Both of course. From OT : Multi Map, Performance macros, variations with different sounds, even polyphony. If you already have an OT, you have the choice. You can’t plock (or control with lfos) arp settings with AK, but you can do it with OT.
Anyway, it is not complicated to add control from OT to AK.

1 Like

Alas, my options are limited but I did give it a try. I don’t have a dedicated MIDI THRU box. My Moog LP doesn’t have a dedicated thru, but it does merge out/thru which produces similar results.

The only other gear with Thru is my MIDI iRig 2, which produced the same results.

The issue seems to be with the 001 not cooperating properly within a MIDI loop. As a slave, I can play it flawlessly from anything other gear with X MIDI OUT -> 001 MIDI IN. But as soon as I complete the loop (001 local always off) unregistered and hung notes abound.

If you get the same result while using those devices in between, then what I described is not the issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that the OT and the 001 might both be sending MIDI Clock messages on the same loop.

It sure is a strange issue you’re having. :slight_smile:

OT and AK have a very deep sequencer, which allows for very complex control, which is easy to handle. The OT has this kind of sequencer for it’s audio section and AK for the synth section. The midi sequencer of the OT is much simpler.

The OT can indeed control many functions via midi, but this is, what we get per track:

• 4 notes
  • Velocity
  • Note Lenght
  • Pitch-Bend and Aftertouch
  • EDIT 10 (not 8) midi CCs (BTW the midi learn function is great)
    (if I didn’t forget something…)

This already is much more than many hardware sequencer have on offer … :wink:

But let’s compare this to the options of the AK sequencer … if you consider all possible p-locks etc. it could easily be above 100 controllers, which are available at our finger tips. So why would we use the OT to control the AK sound features. IMO it would only be more complicated and limiting :wink:

In my Dark-Trinity set-up my OT is master. The OT synchronises all midi gear, which is connected to it. The sequencer of the AK is synchronised to the OT clock, start and stop commands. Sometimes I connect other midi-gear to the OT midi section. Since the OT can route midi from its input to any midi channel, if the midi-track-settings are set accordingly, I can use the AK as masterkeyboard to play other synths via OT as a midi-router :wink:

3 Likes

The problem might be that the Modal 001 does not “go local” after all. The sense of “local-off” has ever been to have a measure to prevent midi-loops. And if gear goes “off-line”, it should behave “off-line” :wink:

1 Like

You forgOT Transpose (less possibilities in AK), 3 midi Lfo’s (that can modulate arp and velocity for random notes), 10 CC (not 8). :wink:

3 Likes

Yes … you are absolutely right … 10 CCs and the LFOs,

And that Track-Transpose is indeed a special thing :wink:

2 Likes

I think I may be on to something.

I used a MIDI monitor to compare the OT and ES2 (my previous sequencer which had no problems with the 001).

Apparently OT doesn’t send [Note Off] messages, instead sending a second [Note On] message with zero values to cancel the preceding triggered note.

So maybe Electron isn’t following best standard practices on this, or should this method be just as viable, putting the blame back on the 001?

It seems like it’s a bit of both, since none of my other synths have a problem with this. I’m at a loss.

1 Like

A note on with velocity = 0 can be interpreted as a note off. Not rare. A midi standard.
A midi monitor is really useful to understand midi issues.

4 Likes

Yep. That wasn’t the issue. After doing some more digging I finally found the culprit.

After messing around with what I thought was the problem… I decided to go to the MIDI settings page… well as soon as I deactivated the MIDI Sync / Send / Clock option it started to work Ok.

3 Likes

Good news ! A new try with OT and 001. :wink:

Yes! I was a click away from ordering the AK when I gave the 001 one last chance. Still, at this point I’m sold on the AK without a doubt. Might have to trade up with some lesser used gear.

Thanks for the help and recommendations. I just joined the community, and it’s quite a nice place you’ve got here.

5 Likes

Glad you found the immediate cause of the problem.

If you can monitor the MIDI messages sent out by the Octatrack: when the clock messages are activated, is the MIDI stream of messages intact (with note on message pairs)? If yes, the problem is the 001. If no, the problem is the OT.

1 Like

When I monitored the OT I removed the 001 from the midi loop, and note on pairs were displayed. So I can’t confirm whether or not the pairs were being sent in the OT -> 001 loop with the OT midi syncs on, but turning the syncs off definitely resolved it.

I have a rytm+a4+blofeld. A Pulse 2 would also be nice.

2 Likes

I really like to sync my OT and Nord Lead 2x. It’s like 4 synths in 1 and does drums too. And I can confirm it works really well with my OT.

2 Likes

Good to hear that you resolved the issue! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear that you are making progress and it seems that you have found a solution :thumbsup:

1 Like

FWIW I’ve been very happy pairing my OT midi with the Futuresonus Parva. Midi note hangs are a lingering issue but the developer Brad has been on a steady pace toward perfecting the Firmware. Amaxing feature to price ratio.

1 Like