Companion for my Modular - Digitone or Mono Station?

I am looking for a companion to my growing modular. The idea would be to replace my computer by a desktop synth to sequence it and have another sound source as well.

I narrowed it down to the Digitone and the Mono Station. They are both at 400/500e (second hand for the Digitone) and from brands that I like.

What are you thoughts and experience with these Desktop synths in a modular environment?

I should mention the fact that i have a MIDI>CV converter so it is not an issue to have only MIDI outputs.

Hmm, good question! I never owned one, but by all accounts, the mono-station is a load of fun and will interface with the modular much more readily. But, as you mentioned, thatā€™s not an issue. I have a digitone and itā€™s probably my favorite box right now. The sounds that it makes are just fantastic. Add in the magic of the elektron sequencer and youā€™ll get lost for hours (days?, weeks?). That being said, I donā€™t think you can go wrong either way. It might be easier to obtain a monostation than digitone, since you have to wait around for someone to sell theirs at a price that works for you.

1 Like

I owned a digitone for a while and borrowed a monostation for a weekend, and while they are both a ton of fun, I think the sequencer and sound design capabilities on the digitone make it a better machine. The monostation was indeed very easy to integrate into the modular rig, but it had a very similar ā€œeast coast analogā€ type of classic synth sound. The digitone is some wicked alien shit, very different from my modular setup.

3 Likes

Digitone .

I have monostation , itā€™s nice , but I think digitone allows external processing , easier multitimbral , more comprehensive sequencer , direct audio out to computer coming soon (unless you have beta)

As for sound , itā€™s analogue mono/paraphinic vs fm ā€¦
I also think it might be easier ā€˜ quicker to sell digitone , though itā€™s the more expensive machine of the two .

1 Like

Digitone : Great effects and sequencer for the Modular. You need to add a Hexinverter Mutant Brain and you ready to go.

2 Likes

I have a similar module: BEFACO Midi Thing :blush:

Iā€™d say Digitone. However, it kind of depends on how your modular is set up. If itā€™s mainly for sequencing with some added other benefits (sound engine, effects, etc.) that makes sense. If your modular already has fairly extensive FM, PM, abilities the FM features of the Digitone may be a little less important. In which case I might recommend the Digitakt (even though itā€™s not in the list here) as it can still sequence similarly, but you can also bolster your modular with the sampling abilities, which can net you some extra tracks, layers, maybe percussion, etc. Either of these two will do wonders, but I would suggest one or the other based on how your voicing is set up.

3 Likes