Choke Samples for using loops?

I come from an Akai background, and always triggered MIDI sampled loops on a sampler (like the DT, and Akai) with a Midi note, which was then held down for a bar, and then cycled so the loop would play perfectly for a bar, with tuning,

This is obviously different on something like the DT, how do you get the sampled 2 bar loop to play for as long as you hold down its own pad? or do you have to do this with envelopes open fully, and the loop is ‘triggered’ each time to its end?

Whats the best way to do this, as this is my first sequencer away from the DAW, whereby you draw in a note length for how long the loop is playing. Whats the alternative on the DT?

you want to head to SRC page and set PLAY mode to FWD.L. This will set the sample to a looping mode. The envelope of the signal is now controlled by envelope on AMP page.

1 Like

also, there are some fine tutorials of Elektron machines made by Cuckoo: https://youtu.be/MXexVHNO0ms

2 Likes

Thanks! and yes i have seen most of Cuckoo’s videos, before purchasing a DT. I may have missed a part about this as they are usually quite long!

Does this apply if I am triggering another sampler, and I need to put that pad/Midi Chn into FWD.L mode to play the sample to the end?

not sure if I understand the question correctly but if your are asking about sending triggers via MIDI from another device, the answer is yes, you can.

I think what i mean is I need to go into the TRIG page and change the “length”? so that a single button hit will hold down a sample (from an external sampler) for say a bar or 4 steps (on the DT dial?)

I’m hoping this is the equivalent of placing a midi note on a DAW and drawing it in for a bar?

I hope that makes sense lol

TRIG length is indeed important in looping mode, especially with short samples. Not so useful with longer samples. I would focus on the envelope in AMP page when working with longer samples. Just try it out. Btw Digitakt is not DAW nor is it MPC, it is it’s own thing. Like with all the Elektron boxes, it’s best to start from zero and learn all the tricks, one by one.

Hi, thank you for this tip,I was searching around and found your post. Also sorry to bump this old thread up but just wanted to ask if anyone has achieved this successfully?
Tried the steps above but the samples still won’t choke each other when triggering, still overlap etc.
Any additional help is appreciated, thanks!