Zoom Live Track and choice of mixer/recorder?

Hi everyone, I’m currently using x-air 18 for mixing/recording and despite the relative quality of the product, I miss physical fader and the immediacy they bring to the table…

I’m in for a simpler solution.

The Zoom livetrack L12 seems a rather immediate and elegant solution. Anyone uses one actually ? Seems really straightforward and most of all it does not need a computer…
Since it’s class compliant I guess I could use it directly as a souncard connected to my Ipad if I’m not mistaking…

Two products that seems rather interesting are :

The yamaha Mg16xu
Soundcraft signature mtk series

What do you think will be the pros and cons of these apart from the needed computer to record anything, and the fx quality which are not my priority ?

Thanks a lot for your precious advices…

You might want to add this to your list of candidates. Looks pretty interesting. Could record with or without computer.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/tascam-reveal-model-24-recorder-usb-interface-mixer

Yeah I saw this one earlier, glorious candidate ! I’m afraid it won’t be in the same boat price wise and no release date yet…

But I’m not in a hurry… :slight_smile:

Changed the post title with something more sexy to get views and gather more advices, who knows ?

I keep myself the right to post pictures of naked cats on eurorack modules to gather even more if necessary !

:stuck_out_tongue:

SynthSadist! :joy:

I have the Zoom livetrack for a couple of month and can say it does a good job.
Built quality is okay, plastic, but okay and lightweight.
The 5 individual Mix-outs are nice, makes it easy to route individual tracks to different destinations.
Sound is also okay. Can’t say much about the effects. But for the price, it’s a good standalone mixer and soundcard.

BUT, i wish it had more channels. Especially more stereo channels.
It has 8 Mono channels and 2 Stereo channels(one of them is the Daw when using as soundcard) and one effect channel which only supports the on board effect. There is no such thing as send/return channels.
If you have (too) many stereo sound sources that’s a bit annoying.

The Tascam Model 24 looks interesting. I would wait for the price call and give it a closer look.

Cheers

You want more channels? Similar options slightly upscale from the L-12. The first two are recent releases. They’re also fairly wide audio interfaces.

The Tascam Model 24 $1000

The Zoom LiveTrak L-20 $1000

The Presonus StudioLive AR22 USB $700

I’d pick the Tascam out of this list, but my knowledge is somewhat soft.

1 Like

Didn’t knew about a zoom L-20. But it would make no differences to me.
The Tascam really seems like a good solution.
Thank you for this info.

1 Like